You are here

VGA cable ext lead resistance

For performing musicians and engineers: stagecraft, engineering and gear.

VGA cable ext lead resistance

Postby Guest » Sun Aug 11, 2019 4:38 pm

Hi

May be an inoperative question hear as this is a sound and not a video forum but I am thinking about mounting a pc monitor to a sheet music stand and running the VGA cable over to my computer on my mixer table. But like when I ran my USB web cam (which is a heavy load for USB) over a 2 meter cable there was resistance and a loss of data that caused a flickering vision on my laptops recorder.

And I am wonder if I would have the same problems with running say a 5 or 10 meter VGA extension lead from my monitor to my computer?

Re: VGA cable ext lead resistance

Postby Exalted Wombat » Sun Aug 11, 2019 6:31 pm

2m should be fine for USB. Is it a particularly cheap extension cable? Or are you asking for too much 5v power from one pair of USB sockets on the laptop?

Anyway, VGA is something else entirely. Up to 15m is well within spec. Think of all those overhead projectors in classrooms OK, now they'll probably be HDMI. But they USED to be VGA.
Exalted Wombat
Jedi Poster
You don't have to write songs. The world doesn't want you to write songs. It would probably prefer it if you didn't. So write songs if you want to. Otherwise, dont. Go fishing instead.

Postby Dave.P » Sun Aug 11, 2019 6:46 pm

I used to do a lot of corporate AV gigs and the old Extron P2DA2 Boosters were the gold standard for longer runs.
With a decent cable you should not have any problems but I suspect these can be picked up for a decent price these days - just make sure it can handle the resolution you need.

https://www.extron.com/product/p2da2plusb
Dave.P
Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Sun Aug 11, 2019 11:00 pm

If this is for lyrics it's much more efficient to use an app on an iPad and an Airturn pedal.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Mike Stranks » Sun Aug 11, 2019 11:44 pm

If your computer has an HDMI output then I'd use that. Much easier to deal with all round.
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby ef37a » Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:23 am

Mike Stranks wrote:If your computer has an HDMI output then I'd use that. Much easier to deal with all round.

Even if neither PC nor monitor has HDMI you can buy adaptors.

As for VGA cable lengths. Some years ago I went to the trouble of making a 5mtr VGA cable (Maplin had the connectors but wanted A LOT of money for such a cable) from CAT5e shielded patch cable. Needed two, or so I thought! Fiddly or what but it worked splendidly. I later found out that many of those 15 high density *&^&!! pins are redundant!

CPC.co do a range of boxes a pair of which allows VGA over a single CAT 5e cable up to about 100mtrs.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby CS70 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:06 am

No problems to have a 10-15mt run with a VGA cable, so long it's a good one.

As of pins, some equipment expects the ground connected (typically projectors) and some modern motherboards (typically laptops) don't do that, but for a regular monitor you should be fine.

+1 on the ipad solution, but if you don't have/can't have, just compare the expenses - the advantage of VGA is that if you can solder a little you can make the cable yourself for very little money.
CS70
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video  and the FB page

Postby Sam Spoons » Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:24 pm

CS70 wrote:+1 on the ipad solution, but if you don't have/can't have, just compare the expenses - the advantage of VGA is that if you can solder a little you can make the cable yourself for very little money.

Old iPads (iPad 2 or 3) work fine and are cheap as chips these days, or buy a cheap 'droid tablet.

But, yes VGA cables work over distance and are relatively cheap and/or easy enough to make.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Guest » Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:39 pm

Sam Spoons wrote:If this is for lyrics it's much more efficient to use an app on an iPad and an Airturn pedal.
I'm actually playing an mp4 player as my backing tracks, so its more then lyrics its lyrics in real time.

I have an Amazon fire 7 which only cost my 35 quid. That plays mp4 files, but non of the programs are any good and don't let you organize the files in folders or let you play the ones you want, it just plays them at random

Postby Guest » Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:40 pm

Mike Stranks wrote:If your computer has an HDMI output then I'd use that. Much easier to deal with all round.
dont know if the computer dose, but the monitor dose :D

Postby ef37a » Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:56 pm

night ans day wrote:
dont know if the computer dose, but the monitor dose :D

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Converters-Con ... B00S646VV4

Might not work but you are dead safe with returns to 'zon.

I have bought various adaptors over the years and most worked fine. Sometimes with video kit you have to power cycle things.

BTW, B&Q do back to back HDMI couplers and I think right angled adaptors. Cables are good value as well but I buy mine from RockBottom type stores, no pic-diff I can see!

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby cyrano.mac » Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:19 pm

Maybe the easiest way for VGA over longer distance, is one of those VGA->RJ45 adapters and use ethernet wiring. Goes up to 70 meters. If you need longer, you need an amplified one.

I've used these a lot and it just works. Of course, I'm biased, because ethernet cable comes free because I have a pile of those...

Like this;

https://www.amazon.com/Extender-Etherne ... B00A8D8TXY
cyrano.mac
Poster

Postby CS70 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:28 pm

Sam Spoons wrote:
CS70 wrote:+1 on the ipad solution, but if you don't have/can't have, just compare the expenses - the advantage of VGA is that if you can solder a little you can make the cable yourself for very little money.

Old iPads (iPad 2 or 3) work fine and are cheap as chips these days, or buy a cheap 'droid tablet.

But, yes VGA cables work over distance and are relatively cheap and/or easy enough to make.

Good point, I should have clarified I was thinking in opposition to a HDMI cable. It's crazy what they charge for a little wire and a small chip and casing. :)
CS70
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video  and the FB page