You are here

Outdoor sounds

For performing musicians and engineers: stagecraft, engineering and gear.

Outdoor sounds

Postby rhill69 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:27 am

I've been doing sound for a couple years for my sons band. Equipment (QU16 board, 4xKw181,
2x kw152, 2x kw152, 2x kw122 mains. 4 ev 12" monitors. All our gigs up until now have been indoors.1 set of mains with either 1 or 2 subs. We have several outdoor gigs, smaller festivals with a stage coming up. My ideal set up because of 60degree focus of the speaker would be 2 sets of kw152 but I dont have them. How can I use the speakers I do have properly with crossing or creating unwanted distortion or sound. The 153/122 are both 75 degree.
rhill69

Re: Outdoor sounds

Postby Mike Monte » Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:25 am

Small festivals (with a multi-band stage) usually provide a PA for the day to keep the switch-over time down to a minimum.
however
If you have to bring your own PA I'd center cluster your subs (two or all four of them) in front of the stage and use one kw152 per side.

I have done small festival work with a similar rig (from Yorkville). It works well in a small festival situation.

A note: You'd be best to check the power situation if you are to bring your own PA.
Mike Monte
Poster

Postby rhill69 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:20 am

Thank you I would have never thought to center the subs. But does make sense. 2 mains should be ok? I know the 152 are on 60degree and it's a wide lawn area for viewing band and roughly 250-300' to where food trucks will be parked with seating also. Obviously more for the lawn seats for the band. We are only band for 3x 1hr sets with 20 minute between so they can do local announcements and 50/50 type things in between.
rhill69

Postby Mike Monte » Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:17 pm

If your band was just hired to play, do just that. The people that want to listen to your band will be in front of the stage (and closer too). It would be a bit of a waste IMO to worry about projecting to the sides of the stage as your fans will be in front as they'll want to see you.

300' is almost the length of a football field... Do you really need to fill that whole area with sound?? Definitely not IMO...

To give your PA as much "throw" as possible, get your mid/high cabs way up in the air. I use TS-90 stands or st132 crank stands to elevate my mid/high cabs. In doing so, it increases my risk of "liability" (have you thought of that?) for which I have insurance.

If this event is a "first", you'd be best to suggest that the stage/performance area be moved closer to the food truck / people area.....100' should do it. This way the band will be heard, the announcements will be heard, etc.

Putting the entertainment almost a football field's length away for the seating area will isolate you....unless the organizers are expecting 700+ attendees.... If the event is indeed that big, they should hire out a rig (long-throw cabs) and do it right.

You mentioned that this is your kid's band. My son, too, had a rock band in HS and they did shows. They did their share of outdoor events; little league fundraisers, concert-at-the-beach, etc.

There were a couple of organizers that (once they found out that it was MY son's band) expected me to tech (bring a big rig) for the whole day... I remember a call: "Mr. M, it's great that you son's band is playing 12-2 at the festival on Saturday, can you have the band's PA set up by 10:00am???" Me: "it'll be ready to go by 11:50"...organizer " well, we'd like to use it for announcements before and after they perform"... Me: "we'll see, I can't make any promises....maybe you should look to hire a PA for the whole day.."

Remember, if you volunteer your PA for an event, you will need to babysit it throughout the event...
Mike Monte
Poster

Postby shufflebeat » Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:34 pm

Mike Monte wrote:There were a couple of organizers that (once they found out that it was MY son's band) expected me to tech (bring a big rig) for the whole day... I remember a call: "Mr. M, it's great that you son's band is playing 12-2 at the festival on Saturday, can you have the band's PA set up by 10:00am???" Me: "it'll be ready to go by 11:50"...organizer " well, we'd like to use it for announcements before and after they perform"... Me: "we'll see, I can't make any promises....maybe you should look to hire a PA for the whole day.."

Remember, if you volunteer your PA for an event, you will need to babysit it throughout the event...

+3
shufflebeat
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Apple Watch - the slowest of all the nature programmes.