You are here

Setting up my passive Dj equipment with the DBX Driverack PX

For performing musicians and engineers: stagecraft, engineering and gear.

Setting up my passive Dj equipment with the DBX Driverack PX

Postby djreverse » Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:51 pm

Hello,
I'm needing some help by setting up my equipment, and running the driverack the correct way with my passive setup. I have a Stanton SCS4dj (I know not the greatest), the Crown XLS1500 running 2 JBL JRX115's, and a QSC PLX3602 running 2 JBL MP418S 18" Subs (these are the replacement to my old JRX118's). Along with the DBX Driverack PX. I need to setup my system from scratch with the DBX Driverack PX as I had someone else help me a while back that is no longer available. I don't want to mess anything up while doing this. Can someone give me some insight? Do I need to run anything in bridge? Or run my tops in stereo, and the subs in bridge? Etc.
djreverse
New here

Re: Setting up my passive Dj equipment with the DBX Driverack PX

Postby resistorman » Fri Aug 16, 2019 5:04 pm

Hi there. I'm sure there will be other opinions, but here's what I would do. You have an XLS amp which is actually quite nice sounding. It has built in DSP including crossover functions which work quite well. I personally never liked the Drive Rack sound, so I'm prejudiced, but I'd get rid of the Drive Rack and the QSC (a nice amp, but no DSP) and buy the XLS 2000 or 2500 watt amp and run it bridged for the subs. Use the built in DSP to set your crossover and call it a day. Also, everything only goes through A-D-A conversion once.
resistorman
Frequent Poster

Postby djreverse » Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:01 pm

resistorman wrote:Hi there. I'm sure there will be other opinions, but here's what I would do. You have an XLS amp which is actually quite nice sounding. It has built in DSP including crossover functions which work quite well. I personally never liked the Drive Rack sound, so I'm prejudiced, but I'd get rid of the Drive Rack and the QSC (a nice amp, but no DSP) and buy the XLS 2000 or 2500 watt amp and run it bridged for the subs. Use the built in DSP to set your crossover and call it a day. Also, everything only goes through A-D-A conversion once.
I appreciate it, I figured the driverack would cover what my qsc doesn't for that side of things. When I first set this rig up I didn't have the driverack, it actually made a big difference on the plus side. Now I'm just replacing the 2 older jrx118's with 2 of the mp418S'
Thanks!
djreverse
New here

Postby djreverse » Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:18 pm

These jbl mp418s are much higher rms than my old jrx118's. So I figured running the driverack on everything fresh would pump out better hitting lows. Or should I just adjust the eq within the driverack manually, and go from there for now. Until I replaced the driverack
djreverse
New here

Postby resistorman » Sat Aug 17, 2019 12:25 am

Something you could try.. don’t use the drive rack on the whole system. I.E. plug into the XLs and use it’s dsp to set the high crossover. Use the patch through of the XLS into the drive rack then into the QSC for the subs. Try different configurations and crossover points to get the subs where you want them. You avoid serial conversion on the high end that way. I’m old school in that I hate to run more than one ADA conversion.
resistorman
Frequent Poster

Postby djreverse » Sun Aug 18, 2019 12:34 am

Thank you! I will definitely try that! Eventually I will replace the driverack. Just seems as if it's robbing the actual power that the subs could be getting straight from the amp. I've heard that their are better processors out there. I think I will try to sell off the qsc, and go with a decent size crown for my subs and run them bridged to see how they sound. I just don't want to blow them, which is why I bought the driverack in the first place to be completely honest. Thanks for the recommendations! Greatly appreciated!!
djreverse
New here

Postby djreverse » Sun Aug 18, 2019 12:39 am

Do you have any website or store recommendations for selling my qsc amp?
djreverse
New here

Postby resistorman » Sun Aug 18, 2019 1:52 am

My rule of thumb is to use the least amount of equipment to get the job done properly. If you use two amps with dsp you don’t need intervening equipment, have less conversions in and out of the analog and digital realms, and if they are the same manufacturer/ product line you will likely have the same latency in processing, which might take that out of the whole temporal stew. More is less, in my experience. But selling stuff, that has changed radically in the last few or it’s around the sun! I’ve had good luck on reverb.com
resistorman
Frequent Poster

Postby djreverse » Tue Aug 20, 2019 2:28 am

Ok, thanks! I will definitely switch up, the weight of my center box is also ridiculous :lol:
djreverse
New here