You are here

Live sound engineer in Bristol

For performing musicians and engineers: stagecraft, engineering and gear.

Live sound engineer in Bristol

Postby ben howes » Sat Aug 17, 2019 1:09 pm

Hi, we've been struggling with feedback in our amateur-ish middle aged covers band. We seem to have exhausted online advice and articles, Paul White's book etc. Not sure if we are expecting too much or have introduced problems that can be remedied.

I'd like to hire someone reputable in Bristol to help diagnose our issues and give us advice going forward. We use a digital desk and active speakers.

We have a private party function on September 6th, if that's any good.
Thanks
Ben
ben howes
Regular

Re: Live sound engineer in Bristol

Postby hobbyist » Sat Aug 17, 2019 5:02 pm

ben howes wrote:Hi, we've been struggling with feedback in our amateur-ish middle aged covers band. We seem to have exhausted online advice and articles, Paul White's book etc. Not sure if we are expecting too much or have introduced problems that can be remedied.

I'd like to hire someone reputable in Bristol to help diagnose our issues and give us advice going forward. We use a digital desk and active speakers.

We have a private party function on September 6th, if that's any good.
Thanks
Ben

More details would help.

Which desk are you using?

How loud are you playing? SPL level please.
There is a limit on what can be done.

Using stage monitors?
Can you use IEM instead?

Have you rung out the systems by using graphic EQ to kill the top 4 ringing freqs?

Are you using directional mikes close to the performers.
Are the performers mouth close to the mike? How many inches?
Are they dynamic or capacitor types?

Are all unused mikes off?

Are you boosting any freqs with EQ?
Dont do that!

Do you have a noise gate turned on?

What is the room size?
Are speakers aimed at reflective walls that can bounce signal back.

Can you move speakers closer to the audience and farther from the performers?

Can you use DI not mikes for any channel inputs?

Can you add a digital feedback killer to your board/desk?

Do singers (or rappers) have their hands around the grill of the mike?

Have you tried lowering the speaker output level?
hobbyist
Regular

Postby Mike Stranks » Sat Aug 17, 2019 6:04 pm

Hi Ben

I'm not too far from Bristol, but I'm on hols on September 6th. If you'd like me to come down to Bristol sometime I'd be happy, but without the pressure of a gig that has to kick-off and a ticking clock... unless you can organise to be in a performance venue a few hours before a gig.

Best for me would be mid/late September. Petrol money from Cirencester and back is all I'd need.

I'm more or less retired now, but was active until a couple of years ago. Of course, if someone else comes forward whose experience is more current and relevant that's no problem...

I'm relaxed... PM me as and when if you want to take this forward.

BTW... I commend your 'Could someone come and have a look?' approach. Much better than seeking to answer loads of forum thread questions and then being bemused as the respondents start discussing among themselves what is "best"! :lol:

Final thought: Do you set and forget or have someone who operates the desk during gigs. The latter is much to be preferred but you are where you are....
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Sat Aug 17, 2019 6:46 pm

Ben, I'd grab Mike's very generous offer with both hands. There'a a lot of experience and some very supportive coaching available there! :thumbup: :clap:
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby ben howes » Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:05 pm

Hi Mike,
I think you made me a similar offer before and I'm really grateful for your second offer of help. I'll PM you so we can arrange something.. maybe a rehearsal with the PA system.
We are using Beringer xr18 with an alto active system. Wind player is also our 'engineer' so not an ideal scenario.
Thanks again
Ben
ben howes
Regular

Postby ben howes » Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:22 pm

Hi Hobbyist,
thanks for your message. The items on your list are familiar! I'm going to try and meet with Mike as above. Cheers for your effort anyway.
Ben
ben howes
Regular

Postby hobbyist » Sun Aug 18, 2019 6:32 pm

ben howes wrote:Hi Hobbyist,
thanks for your message. The items on your list are familiar! I'm going to try and meet with Mike as above. Cheers for your effort anyway.
Ben

It is always good to have tried what you can first to tell your consultant what the situation is.

I read today in a magazine about using too many plug ins causing problems.

Do let us know what you find out and what you did to fix it.
hobbyist
Regular

Postby Mike Stranks » Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:15 pm

Hi Ben

If someone more local pops up or you find someone who has relevant experience I shan't mind in the least...

As I said above, I'm relaxed and, hopefully, available if needed. If not: no problem;no sweat. :)
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster