You are here

Mackie 1530 with SRM450

For performing musicians and engineers: stagecraft, engineering and gear.

Mackie 1530 with SRM450

Postby Blacktail » Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:18 pm

Hello all. First time here. Assume i know nothing! Me and my mates are a typical Mid life crises covers band and for some unknown reason seem to be getting better and larger gigs. We inherited a pair of Mackie 1530's to start with. Problem was for the tiny gigs we were playing way to noisy unless desk running at -30 or 40db. There is no gain control on our 1530's.
So bought some SRM 450.....see i told you we know nothing.............little unfair as they have done a great job. Due to one member insisting on immediately taking his share if what small scraps of payment we get we cant afford a decent set of subs, so trying to bring the 1530's back into play to get better bass so we can DI our bass player so we can hear ourselves over his twin Markbass rig he needs to turn up to reach larger or outdoor audience, and use the SRM 450 linked to the 1530's by the THRU out and utilising the gain control of the SRM 450 to control the volume of the two while maintaining a decent unity signal from the desk. Other than the fact i already know this is a pants solution to our actual live sound issues will the fundamental wiring up like this work?
Blacktail

Re: Mackie 1530 with SRM450

Postby AlecSp » Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:11 pm

Not the best option, really, as the 1530 is intended as a full-range speaker rather than a sub, so it won't have fabulous low end extension.

If you were doing this, you'd need a crossover to send a low-pass signal to the 1530 and a high-pass filter to the SRM450. Otherwise, you'd be sending too much low-end to the SRM450 and you'd be getting a full-range signal out of the 1530. And you'd still have the problem of no level control on the 1530. All a bit of a mess, really.

The 1530s are really too big & heavy these days for their rather meagre 123 dB SPL output.

Why not do the right thing - move them on, and buy a sub (just one would do to start with)?
AlecSp
Regular

Postby Sam Spoons » Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:33 am

Two thoughts, firstly I agree with Alex if you can afford something a half decent 15" active sub.

Secondly, if you need to run the desk at -30dB or lower the Mackie's should be perfectly capable of handling kick and bass guitar on there own.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby DanR » Tue Aug 20, 2019 1:16 pm

Sam Spoons wrote:Two thoughts, firstly I agree with Alex if you can afford something a half decent 15" active sub.

Secondly, if you need to run the desk at -30dB or lower the Mackie's should be perfectly capable of handling kick and bass guitar on there own.

Yes to both. I ran a Mackie SRM450 v2 + SWA1501 x2 system for my band for years.
Did us well apart from one 450 packing up on a gig and a 1501 on another.
No problems once fixed.
Just the tops were fine for smallish gigs with kick and bass in the PA.
As you’re getting more gigs, maybe best to offload the 1530’s and as suggested, replace with a decent 15” sub. Don’t go cheap though.

Not sure what the current Mackie PA gear is like as I’ve upgraded to RCF. The SWA1501
was the matching sub for the 450’s.
DanR
Regular

Postby Sam Spoons » Wed Aug 21, 2019 6:50 pm

I was very impressed by the sheer volume and bass a Mackie 450/1501 rig produced for a Nigerian DJ at a wedding a few years ago but in a side by side comparison SRM450/2 were nowhere as nice as the other speakers I tried (QSC K12/Yamaha DXR/DSR and RCF 702 IIRC).
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Blacktail » Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:32 pm

Hi Guys, Thank you so much for the feed back. Apologies for not getting back so soon.

Very helpful if mostly for pointing out what i had been thinking ........get some subs!!

Tried this set up last weekend. Our poor sound engineer struggled with the bass end of things front of house, constantly having to eq and balance things. She said it was like the crossovers were freaking out all the time and we seemed to experience really bad hum and boom and on the edge feed back on the stage, partly cured by DI'ing guitarists amp instead of usual mic set up, which was approx 3 ft away from back of big mackie. All made for a stressful gig.

Again so appreciate the input :clap: :clap:
Blacktail