You are here

Yamaha 01V Digital Mixing Console

For performing musicians and engineers: stagecraft, engineering and gear.

Yamaha 01V Digital Mixing Console

Postby VTypeV4 » Sat Aug 24, 2019 12:02 pm

This Yamaha came up very cheap locally so I thought I'd take a risk. I considered that it'll be useful both live and in the studio (especially as the 02R is massively under utilized there) plus the compact size is a bonus.

Image01V action wed819 by VTypeV4, on Flickr

Image01V 819 by VTypeV4, on Flickr

I put the 01V into service on the live scene on the Wednesday evening open mic session to see how it performed. I had no trouble with it - everything worked as it should, all parameters were familiar and navigating the console was reasonably straight forward although the (slight) lack of surface controls was a minor issue compared the 02R which is arguably unfair with 01V being physically so much smaller. It's far closer in use to an 03D than other Yamaha digital consoles I've experienced.
VTypeV4
Regular

Synkronize Music Group: Mastering House, Multi-track recording and bespoke tuition services.

www.synkronize.co.uk & www.facebook.com/synkronizemusicgroup
Equipped with Yamaha, A&H, JBL, Sony, TC Electronic, DBX and MOTU.

Re: Yamaha 01V Digital Mixing Console

Postby AlecSp » Sat Aug 24, 2019 12:45 pm

Given that it's a 21 year old design, and was replaced by the 01v96 some 16 years ago, you need to keep your expectations realistic.

They're built solidly, and are pretty flexible, but the 01v was quite limited compared with the 01v96, and both of which feel very primitive compared with even the cheapest of today's mixers.

The 01v96 was a massive improvement over the 01v, bringing full-size faders and more powerful DSP. But it always drove me potty driving monitors as there was no pre-dynamics send option. The menu system required a lot of familiarity to be able to drive quickly. The lack of LCD scribble strips (albeit never a thing back then) gave a few hairy moments when on the wrong layer.

Realistically, I'd buy something like an XR18 or UI24R over an 01v/01v96 any day. While tablet mixing isn't everyone's cup of tea, the comprehensive feature set in a modern day mixer is an overwhelming improvement.
AlecSp
Regular

Postby Dave B » Sat Aug 24, 2019 1:42 pm

I have very fond memories of mine which I had when it was new. I'd have no problems using one for small gigs and if it's the right price, I'm guessing you got a bargain!
Dave B
Jedi Poster
Veni, Vidi, Aesculi (I came, I saw, I conkered)

Postby VTypeV4 » Sun Aug 25, 2019 12:53 am

In comparison to my daily ride ( TC Unity loaded 02r x2), it is a little basic and limited but it's sonic performance is more than acceptable and as suggested above, for small gigs, it'll be fine.

ImageXs 02r 19 by VTypeV4, on Flickr

As for the studio work, I've not yet done any recordings with it so it's impossible for me to say at this point although I'll happily report back at a later date.

With regards to not expecting too much from the 01V, I barely paid three figures for it. :bouncy:

Speaking of tablet mixing, I just can't connect with it somehow. I had the Mackie version (DL1608) but swapped it out for an 02R as I was much happier with the Yamaha and felt it had superior sonic performance also. On tour I'm often presented with X/M32, A&H Qu, Soundcraft Si etc, all of which I'm happier with than tablet mixing. Whether I'd use the 01V over the aforementioned Qu (or such similar), possibly not but over a DL1608 - I would every time.

Time will tell. :thumbup:
VTypeV4
Regular

Synkronize Music Group: Mastering House, Multi-track recording and bespoke tuition services.

Postby CS70 » Mon Aug 26, 2019 6:05 pm

VTypeV4 wrote:Speaking of tablet mixing, I just can't connect with it somehow

+1

I don't have any particular tradition or experience to maintain, but having tried both, I much rather use faders. On a screen, you actually have to look. :)

Maybe if there was one of these haptic (tactile) touchscreens which can actually give physical feedback.. they seemed up and coming a few years back but, without actually having looked for news, I haven't heard any for a few years..
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video  and the FB page

Postby VTypeV4 » Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:40 pm

CS70 wrote:
VTypeV4 wrote:Speaking of tablet mixing, I just can't connect with it somehow

+1

I don't have any particular tradition or experience to maintain, but having tried both, I much rather use faders. On a screen, you actually have to look. :)

Maybe if there was one of these haptic (tactile) touchscreens which can actually give physical feedback.. they seemed up and coming a few years back but, without actually having looked for news, I haven't heard any for a few years..

Now something like that might be a game changer! :clap:
VTypeV4
Regular