You are here

PA upgrade advice

For performing musicians and engineers: stagecraft, engineering and gear.

PA upgrade advice

Postby chuckster55 » Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:07 pm

Hi,

I am new to the forum and would like some advice. I am a solo performer who has been using a Fishman SA220 solo acoustic PA and it is just not adequate enough. I play a Taylor T5 or a Taylor Acoustic and use a TC Helicon Harmonizer for my vocals. I want to upgrade to one or two powered speakers, but I am on a budget. Do you think I would be happier with a single QSC 12.2 speaker, or for about the same price, two Electro-voice ELX 12P's? Thanks in advance for any advice.

Chuckster
chuckster55

Re: PA upgrade advice

Postby AlecSp » Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:47 pm

You don't mention what your budget is but, which would have been helpful, based on the items you mentioned, it looks like being around GBP 750.

Firstly, from looking up the Fishman SA220, what an over-hyped, overpriced, under-specced thing it looks to be! 6 x 4" drivers and a max SPL of only 114 dB! You can definitely do better than that! Just bear in mind that going to anything else will lose you the built in mixer, so you'll need to ensure you've got that covered.

Are you using the single speaker for FOH & monitoring? In which case, you really need to be considering separate FOH & monitor speakers, rather than running everything off a single monitor. You can make monitoring from FOH work if your levels are low, but it's a tough act to pull off. So a single conventional speaker looks like being insufficient for you.

Do you need one or two speakers for FOH? It depends on whether you need the additional coverage that having two speakers can offer. Also, with your backing tracks, you might choose to run in stereo, but be aware, plenty of people in the venue won't benefit from the full stereo image.

So, this brings you to whether you need two or three speakers. Your choice. One would be very restrictive.

And then, onto the speakers. You've given two quite different ranges of speakers. The EVs will do an OK job, but the QSCs will hold together much more nicely. Other brands to consider in the kind of price range you're talking about are Yamaha DXR and RCF ART 7 series. (I use the ART 7 series myself, and they're fab).

Why 12" For the kind of material you're talking about putting through, you'd do very well with 10" speakers, which would save you some money and be easier to transport.

So, strong recommendations: think of monitoring, don't go too cheap, 10" speakers are excellent for acoustic work, don't forget a mixer.
AlecSp
Regular

Postby chuckster55 » Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:52 pm

Thanks for the reply Alec. My budget is about $1000 so I have to be careful and include a small mixer as well. I would love to get two speakers. I might have to go with the Electro-voice option because it would be the only way I can pull buying 2 and staying on budget.
chuckster55

Postby AlecSp » Wed Sep 04, 2019 1:45 am

Whatever you do, do try to listen to both before buying - you really don't want to be spending more money and then being disappointed!

Also, don't discount used - you can get some great deals...
AlecSp
Regular

Postby Sam Spoons » Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:59 am

If you can stretch to DXR10s you will hear the difference over the EVs :thumbup: Yamaha also do small cheap mixers with fx which should do the job (though I like Allen & Heath Zed fx series).
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........