You are here

Small amp/sub for Foot Stomp

For performing musicians and engineers: stagecraft, engineering and gear.

Small amp/sub for Foot Stomp

Postby forumuser641699 » Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:10 pm

Any recommendations for a small amp/sub that can deliver a nice thud from a foot stomp?
Even better if there's a battery-powered option but the smaller/lighter the better.
forumuser641699
New here

Re: Small amp/sub for Foot Stomp

Postby MarkPAman » Thu Sep 05, 2019 1:18 pm

What does it have to compete with in terms of volume?
MarkPAman
Frequent Poster

Postby forumuser641699 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:24 pm

Acoustic instruments mainly/Fishman loudbox.
forumuser641699
New here

Postby Sam Spoons » Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:44 pm

A small bass guitar combo would probably be the most economic solution, what is the stomp box? I have a couple of home built ones, one has a piezo sensor and the other (well actually two now) a more sophisticated design with a guitar pickup and flat metal bar creating the signal. The latter works well with much less eq required than the piezo based one and can be plugged straight into a bass amp. Happy to post designs if required, it's an easy DIY job.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby forumuser641699 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:44 pm

Thanks, Sam, yes I'd love to see your designs, that sounds very interesting. Mine is just a piezo in a woodblock I got off ebay, it's not bad but like you say it needs a lot of EQ to sound good. Also, I tend to sit when I play and I've yet to find a stomp that doesn't keep moving away from my foot and needs pulling back into place between numbers. I was thinking of making one out of a big heavy butcher's block.
Would you know what frequency stomps operate at in thud/bass mode so I can check on Bass amp ranges?
forumuser641699
New here

Postby Sam Spoons » Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:18 pm

I'll try to get a pic of the prototype next week (the drummer has it at present) and explain how it works.

For a piezo stomper I have a huge boost at 50 Hz and a huge cut above 500 Hz. The mag pickup design works quite well with no eq but, obviously, better with some 'fine
tuning'.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........