You are here

Mackie CFX 16 mixer overheating?

For performing musicians and engineers: stagecraft, engineering and gear.

Mackie CFX 16 mixer overheating?

Postby rockdoc11 » Sat Sep 07, 2019 6:42 am

Recently I was checking out a mic using our band's Mackie CFX 16 mixer, which has been trouble-free and working out great for us for a year or two.

But as I was working with it, I noticed a few minutes after turning it on that the back panel had become noticeably hot. I could maintain finger contact with it, but it was definitely uncomfortably hot.

I've never noticed this before, but I usually don't run our board.

Is this normal? Or am I looking at an unavoidable mixer catastrophe in the very near future?

Any other users of similar Mackie mixers? Is this something they all do? Is there anything to worry about?

Thanks!
rockdoc11
New here

Re: Mackie CFX 16 mixer overheating?

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Sat Sep 07, 2019 11:47 am

rockdoc11 wrote:But as I was working with it, I noticed a few minutes after turning it on that the back panel had become noticeably hot. I could maintain finger contact with it, but it was definitely uncomfortably hot.

I'd keep an eye -- of finger -- on it, but I suspect it's normal. I don't have a CFX, but my little 1402VLZ runs pretty hot around the power supply and always has done.

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby DanR » Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:41 am

rockdoc11 wrote:Recently I was checking out a mic using our band's Mackie CFX 16 mixer, which has been trouble-free and working out great for us for a year or two.

But as I was working with it, I noticed a few minutes after turning it on that the back panel had become noticeably hot. I could maintain finger contact with it, but it was definitely uncomfortably hot.

I've never noticed this before, but I usually don't run our board.

Is this normal? Or am I looking at an unavoidable mixer catastrophe in the very near future?

Any other users of similar Mackie mixers? Is this something they all do? Is there anything to worry about?

Thanks!

I used a Mackie CR1604 VLZ which is similar to the CFX for my band for years. Always ran hot around the power supply area so I think it’s normal.
DanR
Regular

Postby rockdoc11 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:04 am

Thanks for the thoughts, guys.

I'll officially move this off my "worry list."
rockdoc11
New here