You are here

Pre-programmed light show synced WITHOUT computer?

For performing musicians and engineers: stagecraft, engineering and gear.

Pre-programmed light show synced WITHOUT computer?

Postby Boffaboi » Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:45 am

Hey guys! New here.

TLDR: What gear do I need to sync a premade lightshow to backtracks without using a computer live? And what software and hardware should I use for creating the lightshow?

My band want to start using some automated lights during our show, but I can´t seem to find the "right" solution. We already own some dmx lights used in music videos etc that we can implement in our future shows.

We are currently using a standalone hardware player for our backingtracks, which is very reliable and works great. But I´m not sure it´s capable of sending midi.

We don´t want to use a computer/ipad etc as I personally don´t rely on them for live purposes. I want a dedicated machine doing the job. I have read and seen that alot of bands are doing it that way, using software on a computer like https://www.dmxis.com/ to arrange and also play the backtracks and lights live.

Also, these kinds of software, can it save the scenes I make for each song as a midi file and I just load it in whatever machine we use (if we find a good one) sending it to a dmx controller?

Do we need a separate player for the audio that can also send midi simultaneously as playing a WAV file AND a dmx controller for the lights?

Is there no cheap (around 2-400 $) unit that can handle all this in one system? Playing audio tracks as well as starting a pre-programmed light show made for just that track?

The less the person controlling it all live (the drummer) needs to think about, the better.

If there is no ONE machine that can handle it all, what is the bare minimum without a computer? A hardware player sending audio to FOH and midi to a dmx controller simultaneously with the push of the play button?

Sorry if I seem confused, it´s just because I am!
Boffaboi

Re: Pre-programmed light show synced WITHOUT computer?

Postby DanR » Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:03 pm

Boffaboi wrote:Hey guys! New here.

TLDR: What gear do I need to sync a premade lightshow to backtracks without using a computer live? And what software and hardware should I use for creating the lightshow?

My band want to start using some automated lights during our show, but I can´t seem to find the "right" solution. We already own some dmx lights used in music videos etc that we can implement in our future shows.

We are currently using a standalone hardware player for our backingtracks, which is very reliable and works great. But I´m not sure it´s capable of sending midi.

We don´t want to use a computer/ipad etc as I personally don´t rely on them for live purposes. I want a dedicated machine doing the job. I have read and seen that alot of bands are doing it that way, using software on a computer like https://www.dmxis.com/ to arrange and also play the backtracks and lights live.

Also, these kinds of software, can it save the scenes I make for each song as a midi file and I just load it in whatever machine we use (if we find a good one) sending it to a dmx controller?

Do we need a separate player for the audio that can also send midi simultaneously as playing a WAV file AND a dmx controller for the lights?

Is there no cheap (around 2-400 $) unit that can handle all this in one system? Playing audio tracks as well as starting a pre-programmed light show made for just that track?

The less the person controlling it all live (the drummer) needs to think about, the better.

If there is no ONE machine that can handle it all, what is the bare minimum without a computer? A hardware player sending audio to FOH and midi to a dmx controller simultaneously with the push of the play button?

Sorry if I seem confused, it´s just because I am!

Hi
The one device that can do audio playback and synced light show would need to be a computer.
A DAW would playback your backing tracks and simultaneously send midi program change, midi note and CC data to a DMX software package such as DMXIS.
DMXIS includes a hardware USB to DMX interface that connects to your lights.

The DAW would be able to export the midi track as a midi file with the included data for light scene changes.
This is then played back along with the WAV.
DanR
Regular

Postby resistorman » Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:28 am

If you could find a stand-alone machine to do this, it would likely be running a variant of Linux on Arm. Or maybe an Arduino device. Or dawg forbid some proprietary OS on proprietary hardware with a handful of people supporting it. It’s all computerized no matter what. I understand what you mean by not trusting computers, but that’s down to legacy, bloated operating systems that try to update in the middle of work. I would use some kind of Raspberry Pi system at this point in time.
resistorman
Frequent Poster

Postby ehvio » Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:47 pm

The Cymatic LP-16 plays back up to 16 separate simultaneous channels in addition to a synced MIDI track. This can be used in conjunction with something like the DecaBox to run synced, pre-programmed lighting.
ehvio
New here