You are here

How to mic a guitar amp?

For performing musicians and engineers: stagecraft, engineering and gear.

Re: How to mic a guitar amp?

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:19 pm

Luckjockey wrote:When a mic (whatever type) is positioned in front of the amp (again, whatever) where does the XLR cable from the mic go? where does it plug to?

It replaces the line feed from your amp going to the PA desk. So in practical terms, it would plug into the stagebox, and then appear on the corresponding input channel of the sound desk, and it would be used in exactly the same way as your previous direct line feed from the amp.... but it would probably sound better! :-)

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Dr Huge Longjohns » Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:34 pm

Don't forget the amp sim route, either. I have seen three live bands in the last month and, oddly, all of their guitarists and bassists were using completely amp-free rigs, just a Helix or similar floor unit doing all the effects and amp sounds straight into the PA. The sounds were uniformly excellent but oddly hi-fi. You sort of miss hearing the direct, grungy sound from the amps. At the gig last weekend they even had a digital drumkit so the whole show was uncannily quiet but the sound quality was excellent. The loudest thing on the stage was the acoustic tambourine!
Dr Huge Longjohns
Frequent Poster (Level2)
"The performance is 99.9% of what people hear"- J. Leckie
"It's all complete nonsense, anyone who knows what they're doing can deliver great results with whatever comes to hand" - H. Robjohns

Postby Dr Huge Longjohns » Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:37 pm

but it would probably sound better!

Depends on the amp. I heard a stunning guitar sound from a Tech 21 combo recently, using its line out straight to the PA. It's basically a Sansamp with a power amp and cabinet attached but it sounded exactly like a well miked combo. Forgotten the guitarist's name but a well-respected session/live player.
Dr Huge Longjohns
Frequent Poster (Level2)
"It's all complete nonsense, anyone who knows what they're doing can deliver great results with whatever comes to hand" - H. Robjohns

Postby Music Wolf » Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:35 pm

Dr Huge Longjohns wrote: You sort of miss hearing the direct, grungy sound from the amps.

Really?

On my list of things which I don't miss this would sit somewhere between Smallpox and Margaret Thatcher.
Music Wolf
Frequent Poster

Postby Dr Huge Longjohns » Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:56 pm

Nonsense, there's something very special about feeling your flares flapping under the windy onslaught of a Marshall 4x12 at full tilt!
Dr Huge Longjohns
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Music Wolf » Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:13 pm

I'm sorry, you'll have to repeat that. I've got this ringing in my ears as a result of standing in front of a Marshall 4 x 12 going full tilt.
Music Wolf
Frequent Poster

Previous