You are here

Bose S-1 battery issues

For performing musicians and engineers: stagecraft, engineering and gear.

Re: Bose S-1 battery issues

Postby Sam Spoons » Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:42 am

I know you did look at the Bose forum thread a while ago but not sure if you have been keeping up to date. The latest post, this morning, is from a UK user who's two 'repaired' S1s are showing 100% (i.e. >90%) on the app after 25 days idle. There may be light at the end of the tunnel :clap:

On the down side (for me personally at least), Bose are still, after 6 months + and dozens of posts, moderating all my posts on an individual basis, not sure if they are doing the same to the others calling them out WRT the 'battery drain issue'. This makes contributing to other areas of the forum, where I can, frustrating in the extreme as my posts don't appear for, sometimes, several hours, and they won't tell me what they think I'm doing wrong (they just say they are because they can.....). :headbang:
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:46 am

Forums' eh? Who'd want to moderate or post on one of them... :lol:
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Sam Spoons » Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:40 pm

I don't envy you your position as a mod Hugh. Nor their's TBF with bolshie buggers like me complaining about their dodgy kit ;) . You guys seem to handle it better though.....
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby ConcertinaChap » Mon Feb 24, 2020 1:05 pm

Sam Spoons wrote: (BW CC did you actually try yours to see if it had the issue)?

This is going back a bit ... sorry about that. I haven't used my S1 for a couple of months and not looked at this thread either. Anyway, when I eventually came to turn it on [roll on the drums please, maestro] nothing. I've seen livelier doornails. Further testing shows I am a fellow sufferer. Not a major issue for me at present, I don't go to Hugh's lengths but I do habitually charge stuff before use and take spare batteries where I can. However I shall keep an eye on things now because, as you say, it really should operate as advertised.

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
If you want me I'll be down on Sound on Sound on Sound.

Postby Sam Spoons » Mon Feb 24, 2020 1:27 pm

Thanks for that CC, just a thought, did you briefly plug it in and switch on to 'wake it up' from 'sleep mode'? The battery goes to sleep after 30 days and needs plugging in to wake it up. Sleep mode would, presumably, register as a dead battery (but I will ask the question on the Bose forum).

Mine is back from it's second repair but it's too soon to say if it's 'fixed' or only 'improved' (17 days and still registering 100%). I strongly suspect the latter from others posts on the increasingly difficult (for me personally) Bose forum. The mods are not replying to PMs and are taking longer and longer to approve my posts or are refusing them for what appear to be trivial reasons. :headbang:
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Postby ConcertinaChap » Mon Feb 24, 2020 6:19 pm

Hadn't tried that yet - didn't know batteries would go to sleep at all, lazy buggers.

Ta.

Sam Spoons wrote: The mods are not replying to PMs and are taking longer and longer to approve my posts or are refusing them for what appear to be trivial reasons.

A case of all mod cons, then.

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Mon Feb 24, 2020 7:45 pm

The batteries go into sleep (AKA transit) mode after 30 days inactivity, you have to plug it into a mains outlet for a few (30, 60, 90, not sure) seconds to wake it up. Thing is most people would then leave it charging and would either never know about 'sleep mode' or never know they had a problem with it discharging :headbang:

If you check it every few days that resets the 'sleep timer'. There's a guy on the Bose forum who has had his dormant for 45 days and they were down to 90% after 5 weeks, still showing 90% after 45 days. That is probably acceptable but it is clearly not a 'fix'.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Mon Feb 24, 2020 7:47 pm

ConcertinaChap wrote:A case of all mod cons, then.

CC

:D TBF I don't envy them the job but if you have a product with a design fault which affects it's usability for some customers and you haven't managed to fix it after 15 months you should accept that some people are going to be upset.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Postby ConcertinaChap » Sat Feb 29, 2020 12:36 pm

Sam Spoons wrote:Thanks for that CC, just a thought, did you briefly plug it in and switch on to 'wake it up' from 'sleep mode'? The battery goes to sleep after 30 days and needs plugging in to wake it up. Sleep mode would, presumably, register as a dead battery (but I will ask the question on the Bose forum).

Just tried this. No difference, sadly. Thanks for the thought, though.

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Sat Feb 29, 2020 1:06 pm

Just another update, My S1 Pro registered 90% when I checked it on Wednesday, 21 days after it had been fully charged so much improved but definitely not 'fixed'.

WRT Bose forum, the mods are no longer approving my (very polite and purely factual) posts to the 'S1battery drain' thread and completely ignoring my PMs.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Fri Mar 06, 2020 2:55 pm

30 days and the S1 Pro is still registering 90% (i.e. >80% remaining) so, for all practical purposes I guess that counts as 'fixed' :thumbup:

Battery goes into sleep mode after 30 days so after that battery drain should be negligible.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Fri Mar 06, 2020 4:18 pm

Hurrah. :thumbup:
Hugh Robjohns

Postby Sam Spoons » Fri Mar 06, 2020 7:02 pm

:bouncy: Yeah, it's been a bit of a mission but I've ordered another S1 so the fully portable 'off-grid' PA becomes a reality.......
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Fri Mar 06, 2020 7:51 pm

I wonder if the new S1 will have 'the fix' or whether you'll end up going through the whole palava again?

I can't decide whether to send my (and my friend's) S1s off for 'the fix', or just put up with it. It's not a practical issues for us in the way we use them... Decisions, decisions.
Hugh Robjohns

Postby Sam Spoons » Fri Mar 06, 2020 10:24 pm

You know Hugh, I decided not to voice that possibility for fear of rambling on (again) but yes, I think it is a very real possibility :headbang:

It'll be a lot simpler this time, it'll get tested and if it fails the 90% after 30 days it'll go back. Problem is I could do with the bloody things behaving before the end of June........
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

PreviousNext