You are here

Bose S-1 battery issues

For performing musicians and engineers: stagecraft, engineering and gear.

Re: Bose S-1 battery issues

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Tue Jun 02, 2020 2:52 pm

:crazy: How to keep happy supportive customers.... Not! :headbang:
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby zenguitar » Tue Jun 02, 2020 2:59 pm

Hi Sam,

I've found the email address for Bose CEO... Jim_Scammon@bose.com

Might be worth making a complaint about the behaviour of his forum moderators direct to him. Of course, it will actually be read and responded to by someone in his office. But worth a try.

And I see that the Bose founder donated his shares to the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. They receive the dividends on the non-voting shares. Might be fun to contact them with a complaint about Bose.

And a polite complaint direct to a CEO often achieves good results, especially if you hint that a major shareholder might be interested to hear how poorly the business is performing on some aspects.

Andy :beamup:
zenguitar
When you see a fork in the road, take it.
Yogi Berra

Postby Sam Spoons » Tue Jun 02, 2020 3:55 pm

Thanks Andy, I've sent the attached to two other 'high up' contacts I found but not this guy so I'll give it one last try, and maybe copy it into the helpful UK customer services guy too, just to let him know how the mods on the forum are helping to make his life easy.......

Hi

I have been active on your user forums for a few months now, initially because I was experiencing the well documented ‘S1 Pro battery drain issue’. Many of your people have been helpful (in particular, “ST” off the forums and “Luke” from your UK customer service help centre).

I’ll admit that I was critical, along with several other users, of the way Bose handled the resolution of this issue but maintain I was always polite. However it seems one or more of your forum admins have decided that I am not to be trusted and are censoring all my posts and have blocked me from the PM system so I can’t contact them to discuss this. I would like to continue contributing to the forums, as a retired live sound guy with many years experience I feel I can help others with less experience but when my posts may take hours or days to appear, or even not appear at all, without any communication from the admins (one said, simply, “If you post something and it does not appear within a day or two, we aren't going to publish it.”).

If the mods are not prepared to allow me to post and to reinstate my PM access I may as well close my forum account which would be a shame as I have made several 'virtual friends' in my short time on the forums.

I’m emailing you as a last resort as I have no other way of contacting the admins to ask them to reconsider, if you would consider forwarding this to ST or another of the admins with a request that they reopen dialogue with me.

Thanks for reading.

SS
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby zenguitar » Tue Jun 02, 2020 4:08 pm

Fingers crossed for you Sam :thumbup:

zenguitar
Yogi Berra

Postby Sam Spoons » Tue Jun 02, 2020 4:22 pm

Done, we'll see if I get a reply......
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Sam Spoons » Tue Jun 02, 2020 6:26 pm

Well, I've had a reply, they will look into it further.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Postby zenguitar » Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:28 pm

Sounds promising. I've seen it from both sides.

I've raised an issue direct the the CEOs office recently and got a very helpful response, my dealer had something on order and appeared to be blaming the delay on the manufacturer, I got a reply from a very senior manager the next morning explain I would hear from them or the dealer soon, and a hour later I got an email from the dealer with an apology and a definite delivery time.

As a trouble shooter I've also been on the end of phone calls from the CEOs office demanding some very detailed case histories and on occasion an eager to please member of the CEOs staff trying to dictate adjudication decisions (one particular individual was stopped when I replied to his demanding email asking if he could confirm that the CEO understood that what he was asking was wrong in law but that I would proceed as requested on receipt of a direct email instruction from the CEO).

And on the other side of the coin, the staff in the CEO's office knew I always worked late and if they had a problem case for another office they would wait until after 6pm and call me for an opinion because they knew the team on the other office had already finished for the day. They could justify asking me because 'it had to be resolved before the end of the day'.

Deeply pragmatic people ;)

zenguitar
Yogi Berra

Postby Sam Spoons » Tue Jun 02, 2020 9:31 pm

Well, quite the opposite response here.....

I am extremely disappointed to hear you response, If you would take the time to personally review my posts you will see that I was never impolite or disrespectful, I will accept vociferous, but I do not believe I breached any of the forum terms conditions and was no more critical than several other forum members who remain active. At the end I was active supportive of Bose’s response to the issue in fact.

Of course I tried to register another forum alias, simply to be able to contact the admins (and my ‘forum friends’) and to ask them to reconsider their stance, I did this from the same computer I used for my original account as I had no reason to hide my identity.

If this is your last word I feel extremely badly treated and have lost much of my respect for Bose as a company and especially for the forum as a community.

SS

On 2 Jun 2020, at 20:44, Rosenthal, Stephen <Stephen_Rosenthal@bose.com> wrote:

Hi Chas,

I just met with our forum manager to discuss this. I’ll be honest with you here as I feel that is most fair.

While your account has in-fact been disabled, I want you to know your ability to obtain support for your Bose products is not going to be removed. We will continue to offer you support through our phone, Chat, on-line, and other support channels as you need. You also still have the capability to view the forum. That was never taken away – nor could we do that. It’s only the logging in portion that has been disabled.

The opinion of the team and ultimately the forum manager suggest that you were responsible for close to half of the post relating to the S1 battery issue. The moderators, supervisors, and managers did not feel your post were necessarily productive. A direct line of escalated support was offered to you in an effort to help resolve your individual concerns.

It has also been noted that you had created at least one alias and began posting as a different member. A breach of our terms and conditions. https://www.bose.com/en_us/legal/terms_of_use.html and Community Guidelines. https://www.bosepro.community/pages/bos ... guidelines

There were also several other factors in consideration of disabling your account. I don’t believe listing these will serve the purpose of your original inquiry.

In this case Chas, the Executive office will have to stand by the Bose Community Forum Manager as this remains the decision of the Community forum Manager and team.

As mentioned above, we will continue to support you and your products and hope that you will continue to enjoy them into the future.

Respectfully,

Steve Rosenthal

Steve Rosenthal
Global Testing and Escalation Director

BOSE
Global Customer Escalations

Office +1 508 614-1928
Mobile +1 508 439-1344

Sent: Tuesday, June 2, 2020 1:25 PM
To: Rosenthal, Stephen <Stephen_Rosenthal@bose.com>
Subject: Re: Bose Forum concerns

Hi Steve,

Sam Spoons (not my real name but Sam is just fine), my real name is Chas Coghill, obviously my dealings with customer support were in that name.

I want to reinforce what I said before that my only complaint is with the forum admins, the rest of the people in Bose I have dealt with have been great (especially Luke from UK customer support and ST from the forum who fielded criticism from several forumites and, ultimately, passed my details on to Luke to help resolve the issues I had).

The forum issues have left a very bad taste and I was seriously considering returning my Bose S1s and having nothing more to do with Bose, the fact that the S1 pro is such a useful device, my good treatment by other Bose employees and my long standing respect for the brand led me to no do so.

Cheers

Chas

On 2 Jun 2020, at 16:32, Rosenthal, Stephen <Stephen_Rosenthal@bose.com> wrote:

Hello Sam,

Jim Scammon had forwarded your email to me. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. Certainly, unusual that we would take these measures to disable your account or even allow you to view the site. I will absolutely look into this to learn more. Can you share what screen name you were using, so I can be sure I’m getting the right information?

Thank you,

Steve Rosenthal

Steve Rosenthal
Global Testing and Escalation Director

BOSE
Global Customer Escalations

Office +1 508 614-1928
Mobile +1 508 439-1344

Sent: Tuesday, June 2, 2020 11:16 AM
To: Scammon, Jim <Jim_Scammon@bose.com>
Subject: Bose user forum issues.

Hi

Until a few weeks ago I had been active on your user forums for a few months, initially because I was experiencing the well documented ‘S1 Pro battery drain issue’. Many of your people have been helpful (in particular, “ST” off the forums and “Luke” from your UK customer service help centre).

I’ll admit that I was critical, along with several other users, of the way Bose handled the resolution of this issue but maintain I have always been polite. However it seems one or more of your forum admins have decided that I am not to be trusted and are censoring all my posts and have blocked me from the PM system so I can’t contact them to discuss this. The next step was for them to disable my account so I was unable to post and, finally, today, after an absence of a couple of weeks I tried to view the forum to see if there had been any further developments to be greeted with the following screen. This means I can no longer even view the site. All of this with little or no communication from the mods giving me reasons or offering me the opportunity to rephrase any offending posts. The last word from them was along the lines of “If you post something and it does not appear within a day or two, we aren't going to publish it.”

<image001.jpg>

It is a shame they have acted in this way as I have made several 'virtual friends' in my short time on the forums and would like to continue contributing, as a retired live sound guy with many years experience I feel I can help others with less experience.

I’m emailing you as a last resort as I have no other way of contacting the admins to ask them to reconsider, if you would consider forwarding this to ST or another of the admins with a request that they reopen dialogue with me.

Finally, I did, despite the problems, buy a second S1 Pro which exhibited the battery issue but it was resolved, much more easily than my first, with a firmware update and both are now preforming in an entirely satisfactory manner

Thanks for reading.

SS

Anybody want to buy some Bose S1's? :headbang:
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Postby zenguitar » Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:03 pm

Of course, you could always send the mail exchange to the CEO and ask if this is an honest representation of his company's values and standards.

You could always draw his attention to this line...

There were also several other factors in consideration of disabling your account. I don’t believe listing these will serve the purpose of your original inquiry.

And suggest that a refusal to explain their decision in full goes to the heart of your problems with the forum management.

And maybe you could ask for them to accept speakers as a return for a full refund.

Of course, I expect you have had it up to here with Bose. So please feel free to ignore my suggestions if you want to draw a line under the affair.

zenguitar
Yogi Berra

Postby Sam Spoons » Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:14 pm

The problem is that I actually like the Bose S1's, they ain't perfect but, for my needs they are the bast available at present* :headbang:

I copied the CEO into that email exchange but didn't send it to the UK support guy who had been so helpful nor did I post it on other forums where I know a couple of my Bose 'forum friends' hang out (nor one or another of the FB Bose user groups..... yet.....)

Thanks for your support Andy, it brings a sense of perspective without which my BP would be through the roof tonight....

* Not that any of us have any 'live sound needs' at present....
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Postby zenguitar » Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:46 pm

The main thing is you explored all avenues, and glad I could help a little.

:thumbup:

zenguitar
Yogi Berra

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Tue Jun 02, 2020 10:49 pm

I think their forum manager has made a bad decision, and for all the wrong reasons, but it's a company driven by concerns over their perceived PR image rather genuine customer-focus.

I'm guessing from their perspective, you were a total pain in the back-end, the proverbial dog with a bone. You stood out, repeatedly high-lighting the failures in design of their s1 product, their public management of those failures, their reluctance to deal with the situation in an open and honest way, and so on and so on! You 'wouldn't let it lie'... And they got fed up with it.

And now, having made that bad decision official, they are extremely unlikely to overturn it, no matter how high you go -- and continuing to push the point will only confirm how right they were to ban you.

If I were you, I'd just shrug your shoulders and walk away. It's their loss far more than yours, even if they can't see that. At the end of the day, it's just an Internet forum -- there are better ways of wasting your time! :lol:
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Sam Spoons » Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:07 pm

At the end of the day the S1 Pro is a decent bit of kit that fills it's niche very well. I doubt I'll get rid as a result of their obstreperousness but if I can, at least, give the 'difficult' mods a little pain I will feel just a little better.

The other guys I've dealt with, particularly the UK support guy 'Luke' have been very helpful (though TBF that;'s their job...). I think I mentioned they offered me compensation in the form of a FOC Bose SoundLink Resolve speaker (worth in theory £250....) which I accepted (the 'dispute' with the forum mods was at an early stage.....).

I guess manufacturer administered forums are bound to go that way eventually, the Mackie forum did, closed and the major players set up a new independent user forum, the Berry one is hanging in there though, they have changed the forum software and it's more like a social media page now and damn near impossible to navigate but the same, good, people are active so it's worth the occasional foray.

If I turn up tomorrow night don't ask me and I won't bring the subject up.........

edit in light of Hugh's post :-

Yes, yes, and yes you are right of course. It niggles 'cos, as you all know, I am not usually confrontational and have been, in my view, unjustly picked out (there are another couple of self admittedly 'bolshie' forumites over there but they have been members for a lot longer than me). I'm not losing any sleep over it. Thanks...
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Postby zenguitar » Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:09 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:At the end of the day, it's just an Internet forum
:o :o :o

At least I can rely on the tooth fairy.

zenguitar
Yogi Berra

Postby Sam Spoons » Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:10 pm

Is there a 'tooth fairy forum'? I have this molar.....
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

PreviousNext