You are here

Bose S-1 battery issues

For performing musicians and engineers: stagecraft, engineering and gear.

Re: Bose S-1 battery issues

Postby Sam Spoons » Wed Jun 10, 2020 8:06 pm

It obviously was battery related or something that didn't need to run continuously when in standby as the S1 is perfectly happy running on the mains with the (originally optional) battery removed.

Hugh may well have something though (and I had considered it as I said) it maybe that the battery discharge curve in the monitoring software has been tweaked to show less discharge in the first few days to disguise the actual situation. One of mine took 14 days to lose 10% then fell from 90% to 40% in a week and a bit..... It costs a lot less to tweak the firmware than it does to put a few hundred S1 through the warrantee repair system :headbang:
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Wed Jun 10, 2020 8:19 pm

It is clear that the off switch isn't really a hardware-off switch since the charging circuit remains operational if the unit is switched off but still connected to the mains. So the processor or some other sub-circuit may have remained alive for checking the battery charging state periodically... The other possible candidate I can think of is the Bluetooth facility.
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Rich Hanson » Thu Jun 11, 2020 10:33 am

You might be on to something wrt Bluetooth: I have a Kobo Touch ereader. When I first had it the battery would drain quickly in sleep and even in power off, but only if WiFi was enabled. Later firmware updates stopped this from happening. (On a side note, I'm impressed that they're still doing firmware updates on a device that was first released in 2011)
Rich Hanson
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Sun Jun 14, 2020 2:45 pm

Just a quick update: My S1 has been returned with a note to say the fault I described (and videoed) could not be replicated by the service department in Belgium.

Bizarrely, though, it goes on to say, "During the testing process it is possible that routine servicing or updates to the latest hardware/software have resolved the problem."

I'm not sure what to make of that! Did 'routine servicing or hardware updates' involve replacing the battery pack or charging board before any testing? Seems a definite possibility...

Anyway, it is now working properly and the firmware is reporting as the same current edition I had already loaded.
Hugh Robjohns

Postby Rob Kirkwood » Sun Jun 28, 2020 1:37 pm

So, my Bose S1 battery testing hit 12 weeks yesterday - & I've called it a day.
Here are the results, & how I did the testing...

I bought my S1 Pro brand new just under 18 months ago from a UK supplier. Until lockdown it had been used (& recharged) every week. The only change I've ever made to it has been an upgrade to firmware version 7.1.5 (there is now a more recent version).

So, I fully charged it Saturday 4th April, & put it back in it's bag. Since then it's never been reconnected to the mains, & has only been out of its bag & switched on briefly to check the battery charge as described below.

I began checking battery level (with the Bose App on an iPad via bluetooth) every few days - as time went on I dropped to just testing weekly.

The App shows battery level in lumps of 10%, and by Thursday 30th April it had dropped to showing 90% charge - so actually somewhere between 90-99%.

My original plan was to keep going until it dropped to 80% - but the App has continued to show a 90% charge up to & including yesterday Saturday 27th June (= 12 weeks on from charge). For me, a charge level between 90-99% after 3 months is perfectly fine, so I called a halt to my testing.

As a further test, before plugging it back in, I decided to run pink noise through it to discover how long the battery would last - this would give some idea whether the battery really did still have a decent charge, or whether the App was showing 'optimistic' levels after the firmware change.

So, pink noise in (generated on a loop within Cool Edit Pro) at a level that pushed the S1 reasonably well, but was tolerable for us elsewhere in the house with the S1 bundled up in a couple of thick sleeping bags :lol:. I'd also buried a mic with the S1 & recorded that to another DAW so I could check exactly when it stopped working, in case we went deaf :thumbup:. I expected it to run for maybe 4-5 hours.

Surprisingly, after 8 hours we were running out of time to let it continue - so I called it a day at 8 hours 5 mins! According to the Bose App, the battery then still had 20% charge, although the icon was showing red... so maybe it would have continued for another couple of hours, or maybe there's some battery protection that would have cut it off before then?

finally, I dragged out my cheapie sound level meter just to see what level I'd actually been driving the S1. So with the S1 back in free air (it had got pretty warm while wrapped up), & again fed with the same pink noise at the same level, I got a reading at 1 metre of 80dB (C weighted, slow response).

8 hours plus is quite impressive, double what I was expecting, & I think suggests that the firmware changes have really made some battery life improvement, rather than just cheating the figures. :clap: :thumbup:

Rob
Rob Kirkwood
Regular

Postby Sam Spoons » Sun Jun 28, 2020 2:04 pm

Rob Kirkwood wrote:The App shows battery level in lumps of 10%, and by Thursday 30th April it had dropped to showing 90% charge - so actually somewhere between 90-99%.

Actually that represents between 81 and 90% as it doesn't register 90% on the app until it has fallen to 90%, the next increment is when it falls to 80% when it will show 80% in the app.

However that is all pretty academic as 80%+ charge remaining after three months is perfectly usable. And 8 hours 'in use' batter life is excellent.

Good that yours does not have the issue :thumbup:
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:23 pm

Good report of some thorough testing there's Rob. Encouraging results.
Hugh Robjohns

Postby JohnStan » Sun Aug 23, 2020 8:20 pm

Hi guys, I am new to Sound on SoundCloud. Have a question about the Bose S1 Pro and it’s long term battery life. Mine is about a year and a half old and I play an acoustic guitar through it daily and play lots of music through it as well for my sons violin lessons. Has been a fantastic piece of kit so far but I’m pretty sure my battery is dead or dying out. It will no longer accept a charge that I can tell. I have never kept it in extreme conditions and usually never drain the battery completely. I probably use it 70% plugged in and 30% off of battery. Anything I can do to get it back accepting a charge? Can’t pay $100 for a new one right now and can’t find a cheaper version. Thanks, John
JohnStan

Postby resistorman » Sun Aug 23, 2020 9:58 pm

Batteries can only accept a finite number of charge cycles. Not sure if keeping it plugged in counts toward that, but if I’m going to be using mine plugged in for a long time I take the battery out.

I doubt there’s any third party batteries out there.

Have you tried Bose support?
resistorman
Frequent Poster

Postby James Perrett » Sun Aug 23, 2020 10:25 pm

The battery performance goes down with more charge/discharge cycles. The standard specification is that the capacity will fall to 80% after 1000 cycles which is around 3 years of daily use.

Given the experiences of various users on this thread it looks like Bose are doing something odd with the battery which could possibly mean that the battery is being continually discharged and therefore reducing its lifespan. However, I would expect it to last longer than a year and a half unless you are using it so much that you are charging it more than once per day.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby JohnStan » Mon Aug 24, 2020 4:54 am

Thanks guys for the information, was definitely expecting it to last for much longer! I even still have cheapy Bluetooth speakers for 5 + years that are still holding their charge to this day. Highly disappointed that it hasn’t lasted longer with the reputation of quality with Bose! I was also looking for my paperwork/warranty earlier and can’t find it yet... hopefully I’ll be able to and see if they can get me a replacement. Thanks again for your replies! John
JohnStan

Postby Sam Spoons » Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:39 am

There's a guy over on the AGF (DavidE IIRC) who has had issues with his S1 Pro's, demonstrated that the batteries were the issue by borrowing a couple from a mate, Bose have said they are within spec and refused to replace them.....

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=574980&page=7
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Previous