You are here

Bose S-1 battery issues

For performing musicians and engineers: stagecraft, engineering and gear.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Bose S-1 battery issues

Postby James Perrett » Tue Jan 05, 2021 3:32 pm

It is often a good idea to give the batteries a few charge/discharge cycles to allow them to reach full capacity. The S1 battery almost certainly uses more than one cell in its battery - if the cells become unbalanced you'll end up with lower battery life. Some batteries can automatically rebalance the individual cells if you leave them on charge - I don't know if the S1 includes this feature.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby Sam Spoons » Tue Jan 05, 2021 3:41 pm

If the battery drain issue is to blame it will be very obvious after a few days as the app has enough resolution to show up >10% loss of charge. if you lost a significant amount of charge in 48 hours then you'll have a good idea in a week or less. Both my S1 Pro's now maintain >90% charge after 30 days so*, while that isn't exactly 'fixed' it is livable with.

I'm not really in a position to play one loud for 7+ hours so I can't confirm if your 4 ½ hours run time is reasonable or not, it may be worth a search, or even question, on the Bose forum.

* The first one lost >90% in a week which is how I discovered I had the issue.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Still taking this recording lark seriously (and trying to record my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Tue Jan 05, 2021 4:00 pm

Mark A wrote:Reason 2: it was full battery but due to the max volume and power, it can only.last 4.5 hours

THIS ^

Playing commercial music flat out with a small peak-average ratio means the amp would have been trying to put out something approaching maximum power continuously.

At lower powers, and/or with more typical 'live music' having a much greater peak-average ratio the power consumption would have been much lower and the battery life greatly extended -- as you've already found.

Do you think that 4.5 hours even if it was fully charged still seems acceptable?

Yes.

Also, have you had any experience playing it continously at max volume?

No. It seems to me that if you need to play it flat out, you have the wrong speaker for your application!
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Previous