You are here

Bose S-1 battery issues

For performing musicians and engineers: stagecraft, engineering and gear.

Re: Bose S-1 battery issues

Postby john.ogro@gmail.com » Mon Mar 30, 2020 7:53 pm

I just sent in my Bose S1 Pro back to Bose under my factory warranty. I purchased it back in May of 2019. I hope they either fix the battery dying issue or send me a new one.
john.ogro@gmail.com

Postby Sam Spoons » Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:11 pm

This has moved on since my last post, I bought a second S1 (slightly reluctantly after the somewhat hostile approach of the Bose forum mods, I'm banned from the PM system and my posts are frequently censored) and that one responded to the latest FW upgrade, despite Bose saying it did not affect the battery drain issue. With FW 7.0 installed, as I received it, it fell from fully charged to <90% in 4 days, after upgrading to 7.1 it has lasted two weeks without yet falling below 90%. FWIW this S1 was manufactured in Dec 2018.....

Bose have handled this very badly and we can't know if the FW updates have impacted on other areas of the S1's performance.

Hugh, as mentioned above I have found my new S1 to have 'the issue' but it seems to have been cured by a FW update :headbang:

I have though recent Bose kit was expensive but offered something beyond the ordinary, Their failure to address this issue has knocked my confidence somewhat. If there was a decent alternative to the S1 Pro I would have bought it (the JBL Eon Compact ha a lot going for it but it appears to have the JBL house sound which, to my ears, is harsh and unrefined, the Bose does sound significantly better).
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Sam Spoons » Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:19 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:I wonder if the new S1 will have 'the fix' or whether you'll end up going through the whole palava again?

I can't decide whether to send my (and my friend's) S1s off for 'the fix', or just put up with it. It's not a practical issues for us in the way we use them... Decisions, decisions.

Further to me previous post, definitely update the FW before doing anything else, it has, apparently, improved the 'standby' battery performance of my second S1 to something approaching an 'acceptable' level.

I've just checked it again a minute ago and it is still registering 100% after 16 days.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Rob Kirkwood » Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:34 pm

Sam Spoons wrote: ... definitely update the FW before doing anything else, it has, apparently, improved the 'standby' battery performance of my second S1 to something approaching an 'acceptable' level.

I've just checked it again a minute ago and it is still registering 100% after 16 days.

I agree - I think this is the most important thing to do.

With my own S1, while I was happy with the battery performance, it was never idle long enough for me to properly tell whether it was, or was not, affected by the issue. However, last time I connected it up to the Bose app, it insisted on updating the firmware, & my gut feeling since has been that this has significantly improved the battery life.

For some reason I now seem to have quite a lot of time on my hands, so I intend charging up my own S1 & doing some proper checks on it.

Rob
Rob Kirkwood
Regular

Postby Sam Spoons » Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:22 pm

john.ogro@gmail.com wrote:I just sent in my Bose S1 Pro back to Bose under my factory warranty. I purchased it back in May of 2019. I hope they either fix the battery dying issue or send me a new one.

If you can be bothered further discussions here :-

https://www.bosepro.community/g/portable/topic/s1-pro-battery-draining-when-not-in-use?page=1

It's a long one though....

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=574980
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Postby PaulB » Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:26 pm

FWIW I've found the recent firmware updates have resolved the problem sufficiently for me to not notice it any more. I don't leave the speakers un-used for weeks on end anyway, and the last few times I have turned them on I have been pleasantly surprised by the number of flashes from that little blue LED :)
PaulB
Regular

Postby Rob Kirkwood » Sat May 09, 2020 6:09 pm

So, been taking the opportunity to test how my own S1 Pro battery behaves...

I bought my S1 brand new in January 2019. According to the Bose App it was manufactured 29th October 2018. Only thing I've changed is update the firmware - currently on version 7.1.5.

4th April - I fully charged it (left it on charge for several hours), it read 100% on the Bose App.

30th April - I switched it on to check it was still alive - 4 flashes & 90% on the Bose App.
2nd May (= 4 weeks) - 4 flashes & 90% charge on the Bose App.
9th May (= 5 weeks) - 4 flashes & 90% charge on the Bose App.

So, given that 90% on the Bose App means a charge somewhere between 90 & 99%, I'm quite happy with that :thumbup:

I will carry on checking every week while I'm not using it.

Rob
Rob Kirkwood
Regular

Postby Sam Spoons » Sat May 09, 2020 9:02 pm

Much the same as my experience after doing the upgrade. What makes me annoyed is that they clearly stated that the upgrade would have no affect on the battery drain issue and as a consequence I sent my first S1 pro off to the service centre not once but twice :madas:

Add that to the 4rs3h0l35 moderating the forum and you might understand why Bose will struggle to get my business in future........
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Sat May 09, 2020 9:28 pm

Rob Kirkwood wrote: Only thing I've changed is update the firmware - currently on version 7.1.5.

It was indeed v7.1.5 that 'fixed' the battery drain issues, but there have been two more updates since then. The current version is 7.1.8.

https://toonz.ca/bose/wiki/index.php?title=S1_Pro_Firmware_Update

Both are described as maintenance updates and didn't change any user features on the S1Pro itself, but 7.1.7 added some auto-off functions for the remote app.
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Sam Spoons » Sat May 09, 2020 10:54 pm

Yes, IIRC (I CBA to go and fire the two S1 Pros up the check the FW versions) mine are on 7.1.5 and 7.1.7 and both seem to have much improved 'standby' battery life.

As an aside, the Bose mods finally got around to disabling my account a couple of weeks ago.......
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Fri May 15, 2020 4:55 pm

Oh dear!

Updated to 7.1.8 (from March's 7.1.7) today and now shortly after powering on I have a constant red light by the power switch! The battery removal reset procedure made no difference.

The unit appears to work as a speaker quite normally. The battery is currently fully charged. Although I can't find a definitive description of what the red light means I'm assuming the light is related to the battery charging. :-(

Bose UK tech support contacted...
Hugh Robjohns

Postby resistorman » Fri May 15, 2020 10:59 pm

Uh oh. Guess I’ll leave mine at the last update. They seem to be doing well... I’m using them as speakers for our TV in the living room since we’re streaming so much these days. A little on the noisy side with a constant hiss, but not noticeable when the show starts.
resistorman
Frequent Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Fri May 15, 2020 11:19 pm

I doubt it was the update that did it... probably just a coincidence as it's been unused for a couple of months now. But it appears that the battery is kaput. Removing the battery cures the red light and the speaker works normally on mains power.

I also noticed that with the duff battery in place, the blue (switch) light fades up and down for a minute or so before giving up and turning red. So I suspect it's trying to run a charge cycle and is failing for some reason. I'm hoping it's the charging/balancing circuitry in the battery at fault, so a simple swap-out might hopefully cure it... I see a replacement battery costs around £100! :o

I'll report back once Bose have been in touch.
Hugh Robjohns

Postby Sam Spoons » Sat May 16, 2020 10:57 am

That's frustrating Hugh, I'm about to get my S1's out for a quick 'maintenance charge'. UK support have been excellent, I can't offer to ask about the issue on the Bose forum for you as they've disabled my account.......
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Postby Rob Kirkwood » Sat May 16, 2020 11:36 am

So sorry to hear that Hugh - hopefully Bose will do the decent thing & fix or replace it.

Rob
Rob Kirkwood
Regular

PreviousNext