You are here

Bose S-1 battery issues

For performing musicians and engineers: stagecraft, engineering and gear.

Re: Bose S-1 battery issues

Postby DGL. » Sat May 16, 2020 12:15 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:I doubt it was the update that did it... probably just a coincidence as it's been unused for a couple of months now. But it appears that the battery is kaput. Removing the battery cures the red light and the speaker works normally on mains power.

I also noticed that with the duff battery in place, the blue (switch) light fades up and down for a minute or so before giving up and turning red. So I suspect it's trying to run a charge cycle and is failing for some reason. I'm hoping it's the charging/balancing circuitry in the battery at fault, so a simple swap-out might hopefully cure it... I see a replacement battery costs around £100! :o

I'll report back once Bose have been in touch.

I suppose if necessary a combination of some new Li-On cells of the correct chemistry/size and an application of either a screwdriver or "the vice of knowledge" might sort matters.
From what I understand like sealed lead acid batteries Li-On batteries don't like being flat for too long.
DGL.
Frequent Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Sat May 16, 2020 1:23 pm

The Bose S1 battery packs have a 'sleep mode' which they enter after 30 days of inactivity to avoid this (though it might have been better to design the charging/monitoring circuitry better in the first place). If the battery was put to bed fully charged* is should take at least a couple of years before falling to 30% remaining. Left in situ in the S1 the charging/monitoring circuitry draws a significantly higher current from the battery than the <3% self discharge normally expected of a Li-Ion battery system.

Bose UK/EU were very good about repairing my S1 Pro but it was under warrantee (2 years).
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Sat May 16, 2020 1:27 pm

If Bose UK tech support doesn't respond well to an email from SOS's technical editor I'd be rather surprised.... And extremely disappointed!

I see lots of talk on the Bose forums and elsewhere that the batteries are considered disposable and only have an expected life of 3 years or so with a limited number or recharge cycles. :-( I hadn't anticipated an annual running cost of £25-35 on a compact PA speaker!

Fortunately, I rarely use or need the battery power, and it works absolutely fine as a mains powered speaker which is how I almost always use mine anyway.

But I'll be intrigued to learn whether my red-light failure is down to something within the battery unit or the charging system in the speaker itself.
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby zenguitar » Sat May 16, 2020 2:44 pm

This was a missed opportunity to set up a race between tech support and marketing. Send them both the same email and see which replies first ;)

Andy :beamup:
zenguitar
The more I understand Music, the less good I get at it.

Postby James Perrett » Sat May 16, 2020 2:51 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:I see lots of talk on the Bose forums and elsewhere that the batteries are considered disposable and only have an expected life of 3 years or so with a limited number or recharge cycles. :-(

If you are using them every day and running them down substantially each time then that would be right as rechargeable batteries are normally rated at 1000 charge/discharge cycles and 3 years is just over 1000 days. Maybe that's the sort of thing that a busy busker would do but most users would be using them much less so they should last longer (assuming they really are Lithium batteries).
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Thu May 28, 2020 5:56 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:I'll report back once Bose have been in touch.

Just a quick update.

I've exchanged several emails with the Bose support people, the outcome of which is that they arranged for UPS to collect the speaker and ship it to Bose's service centre in Belgium for a warranty repair. Pretty much the default response, it seems.

Their standard terms promise to return it within 6 weeks....

I really can't complain about the service at all. They have been responsive, courteous and helpful throughout.

However, although I was 95% certain that the problem was actually a faulty battery pack which upset the charging system Bose were adamant that they wanted to have the complete unit+battery to test and service, rather than send out a replacement battery pack.

It's also worth pointing out, though, that the actual speaker unit remained fully functional on both mains and battery power. The issue was simply one of being unable to recharge the battery.

Again, I'll report back when the unit is returned...
Hugh Robjohns

Postby wdsteele » Fri May 29, 2020 7:13 pm

I haven't used mine for around 4 weeks , needless to say was flat last night but doing just grand today after overnight charge ; have resisted any update to the firmware thus far and 6 weeks return , although reasonable enough I guess , still doesn't feel worth the wait while the unit is in it's current "working " state.

I shall be keeping a careful eye though , purchased last August , so warranty good for a while.
wdsteele
Regular

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Fri May 29, 2020 7:23 pm

Which firmware version are you running at the moment? I don't think my firmware update caused the problem. I think it was more likely just a coincidence after lying unused for a couple of months... I've not heard of anyone else having a problem with the firmware update, and the latest version does seem to have cured the self-discharge issue. Either way, I'd do the update while it's still in warranty.
Hugh Robjohns

Postby wdsteele » Fri May 29, 2020 7:49 pm

Not sure which firmware, I've only just down loaded the app and can't wrestle the ipad from the kids to check....... but will have a go this weekend.

Did you use Bluetooth or the USB in by the way ?
wdsteele
Regular

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Fri May 29, 2020 8:20 pm

USB.
Hugh Robjohns

Postby Sam Spoons » Fri May 29, 2020 10:09 pm

USB is much faster for doing the f/w upgrade the app seems to take forever to download the file (15 mins and it wasn't 1/3rd through the download, the MBP, over USB, had it done and dusted in about 90 secs).

The f/w upgrade made a huge difference to my S1 Pro, from 4 days to fall below 90% on the old f/w, to 34 days before the app registered <90% after the upgrade to 7.1.7. Definitely try that first.

BTW Hugh's issue seems to be something different and battery related.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby wdsteele » Tue Jun 02, 2020 1:05 pm

Thank you both for the initial prompt and the pointers on the firmware ; it was indeed a very quick update via USB using my MacBook Air .

I hadn't previously kept any type of log on battery life but has been unplugged from mains and switched off since about 6am last Saturday , having been fully charged.

After more than 3 full days I'm still getting 4 blue flashes , and that's most certainly a big improvement on the drain issue as I'd observed it - very happy with that .

Thanks again.
wdsteele
Regular

Postby Sam Spoons » Tue Jun 02, 2020 1:51 pm

If you can get the app on your phone it has a good bit more resolution than the blue LED. The latter will show four flashes until the battery falls to 75% or below, the app will register 100% until it falls to 90%. It may take several weeks to fall below 75%, mine took 34 days before the app registered =<90%. I would consider retaining >90% charge after a month to be the minimum that is acceptable.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Postby wdsteele » Tue Jun 02, 2020 1:59 pm

Yes , I kind of guessed as much , so will update battery status later in the month with the app view.
wdsteele
Regular

Postby Sam Spoons » Tue Jun 02, 2020 2:40 pm

Typically updating the f/w has resulted in a dramatic improvement in standby battery life. I can no longer check what is happening on the forum as I have, now been officially banned.

Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

PreviousNext