You are here

Bose S-1 battery issues

For performing musicians and engineers: stagecraft, engineering and gear.

Re: Bose S-1 battery issues

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Sun Sep 22, 2019 12:13 pm

I can't really see the battery removal doing anything useful. All it can really do is force a full reset of the internal electronics/processor, but if the real fix was that simple Bose would have announced it by now!

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Sam Spoons » Sun Sep 22, 2019 12:37 pm

Yes that's what I thought, nothing to lose though. I don't know if this one has the problem or not but will find out Monday night. It was fully charged on Friday so if it has less than 100% on Monday I'll know t has the issue to some degree. The app shows battery charge state but only to a 10% resolution (the power led indicates the same on switch on with1-4 flashes representing 25% increments).
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Sam Spoons » Sun Sep 22, 2019 7:18 pm

Bose may well have suggested the reset procedure, it is detailed here https://toonz.ca/bose/wiki/index.php?title=S1_Pro_System_Reset.

The screws are depicted as and described as 'Phillips and Frearson' heads, shown next to an image of a Pozedrive screwdriver :headbang:
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby ConcertinaChap » Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:39 pm

Thanks for raising this, Sam. I'd not noticed an issue with mine but that's because I'm a compulsive charger, as you might say. I'll check mine and see what happens.

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
We are normal and we want our freedom!.

Postby wdsteele » Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:46 am

Well , as expected the battery life after full charge is lasting just fine , we got around 6 hrs of Bluetooth playback yesterday before calling it a day.

I’ve decided to keep my model rather than exchange , the unit does everything I’d originally purchased it for , so , providing I don’t need the unit at short notice I can wait for any subsequent fix .

Only other drawback is that my kids have really taken to it , just as they had previously with my iPad : “Baby Shark” has never sounded so good at 7am .
wdsteele
Regular

Postby Sam Spoons » Tue Sep 24, 2019 3:37 pm

Just switched the S1 on after 4 ½ days and the battery report is showing 100% on the app and 4 flashes on the LED*. I'm planning to use it tonight but if I can resist I'll leave it until Friday to see if there is any change.

* I'm not sure but I'm guessing it displays 100% until there is 90% left and so on. If so it could have lost up to 9% in the time but that's significantly better than the one I returned which went completely flat in a week.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Thu Sep 26, 2019 4:29 pm

Sam Spoons wrote:Bose may well have suggested the reset procedure, it is detailed here https://toonz.ca/bose/wiki/index.php?title=S1_Pro_System_Reset.

The screws are depicted as and described as 'Phillips and Frearson' heads, shown next to an image of a Pozedrive screwdriver :headbang:

Curiosity has led me to google Phillips and Frearson. I assumed it was the full title for a Phillips head screw but in fact they are two, incompatible, screw drives (and both are mostly incompatible with Pozidriv) :headbang: :headbang:
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Postby Wonks » Thu Sep 26, 2019 4:31 pm

Well, a Phillips slot is more like an X, whilst a Frearson slot is more like a +. :D
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby Sam Spoons » Thu Sep 26, 2019 5:29 pm

and a pozidriv is more of an x+ :D Then there's JIS.........

The bugger is that they are all different and while the drivers from one will 'fit' the others as soon as you apply any torque they will damage either the screw head or the driver.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Thu Sep 26, 2019 7:19 pm

One week in and it's down to 90% so, annoyingly, it still has the issue just less dramatically than the first one. Not sure what to do now, Bose don't seem to be making any headway solving it so I'm seriously considering returning it for a refund and waiting for a fix before buying a new one.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Postby James Perrett » Thu Sep 26, 2019 8:50 pm

If these are lithium rechargeable batteries then it isn't a good idea to store them at full charge as they are most likely to catch fire when at, or close to, full charge. This could well be a safety feature.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby Sam Spoons » Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:40 pm

Even Bose aren't claiming that :headbang:
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Postby blinddrew » Fri Sep 27, 2019 2:59 pm

Sam Spoons wrote:and a pozidriv is more of an x+ :D Then there's JIS.........

The bugger is that they are all different and while the drivers from one will 'fit' the others as soon as you apply any torque they will damage either the screw head or the driver.
For all your screwdriver queries: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_s ... s#Frearson :)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Sam Spoons » Fri Sep 27, 2019 7:19 pm

Yup, been there (how do you think I know so much about screw drives?).
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:35 pm

Quick update, Bose have not announced a fix to the battery drain issue yet and more people are turning up with units that drain their battery when switched off. Several have had two or even three units replaced only to find that all of the replacements have the issue. If you use an S1 regularly you would never discover the problem which might explain why many more users have not been affected. It sounds to me like all S1s have the issue but for many users it is not a problem (I know Hugh and CC have not had a problem but they both keep the S1 topped up). Of the 5 S1 owners on this thread, one does not seem to have the issue, two do and two are compulsive chargers (BW CC did you actually try yours to see if it had the issue)?
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

PreviousNext