You are here

Bose S-1 battery issues

For performing musicians and engineers: stagecraft, engineering and gear.

Re: Bose S-1 battery issues

Postby James Perrett » Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:56 pm

Sam Spoons wrote:* was this the issue that was causing iPhones to get dangerously hot and occasionally catching fire a couple of years ago?

Are you thinking about the Samsung phones rather than iPhones? I think they stopped making them shortly after the fires happened. I'm afraid that I was no longer involved in lithium battery packs at that stage so I've not looked into the causes. I tried digging out the paper where I saw the stats on cell faults related to charge state but I can't find it at the moment.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby Sam Spoons » Thu Jan 09, 2020 11:01 pm

Don't know about Samsung but iPhoned did have a phase of getting worryingly hot and also there was an expanding battery problem* with one of mine blowing the display off and snapping the PCB in half.

* happened to my Apple watch too which was replaced under warrantee
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Kwackman » Fri Jan 10, 2020 12:04 am

Sam Spoons wrote:Don't know about Samsung but iPhoned did have a phase of getting worryingly hot and also there was an expanding battery problem* with one of mine blowing the display off and snapping the PCB in half.

* happened to my Apple watch too which was replaced under warrantee

Samsung had fire risk problems 3 years ago.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-38714461

The only iPhone related fire issue I can remember was with 3rd party chargers, not iPhones.
Kwackman
Frequent Poster
Cubase, guitars.

Postby Sam Spoons » Sun Jan 12, 2020 2:17 pm

Update.

My S1 has been home for 5 days and, after charging it on Tuesday I unplugged the mains lead and left it switched off at around 9 p.m. When I checked it on Thursday evening it still registering 100% (as I expected), this afternoon though it is showing only 90% :headbang:

Basically it is worse than the they took it in for 'repair' as it was still registering 100% after 14 days before they 'fixed' it.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Rob Kirkwood » Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:55 am

Sam that's really disappointing. :thumbdown:

I had couple of weeks where I didn't need my S1 Pro, so decided I'd test mine properly - and maybe even go back to using my VoiceSolo FX150 for a while, so I could thoroughly test my S1 Pro beyond 2 weeks.

After 10 days of no use I still got 4 flashes, so decided to load up the app for a better reading - unfortunately that insisted my S1 needed new firmware & wouldn't let me do anything before I'd loaded it (on mains power!) - duh.

So I'm still none the wiser about my own S1 Pro, but certainly don't want to send it away "just in case" and have it come back worse :headbang:

Maybe the draining problem has something to do with the battery sleep mode - do we know if a removed battery goes to sleep of it's own accord, or is it something the S1 forces the battery to do?

Kinda thinking we just need a mod (not the SOS variety) with a great big switch on the side of the S1 that isolates the battery!

Rob
Rob Kirkwood
Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:39 am

There are a couple of other people on the Bose forum who's S1s have come back not fixed, I'm waiting for a call from Bose tech about mine.

Sleep mode is built into the battery itself, it's to keep them from, eventually, fully discharging in storage or transit. A battery removed from the S1 will keep it's charge as it should, it's only when installed and idle that the drain takes place.

When mine came back from 'repair' the battery was completely dead, not sleep mode I don't think as it wasn't away for 30 days so that rang alarm bells straight away.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Postby James Perrett » Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:15 pm

Sam Spoons wrote:Sleep mode is built into the battery itself, it's to keep them from, eventually, fully discharging in storage or transit.

There should be protection built into the battery but they don't normally use a timer for this sort of protection. A normal lithium rechargeable battery will include a battery management chip which prevents the battery from discharging if the cell voltage falls below 2.8V and will prevent it from charging any further if the cell voltage reaches 4.2V. In a multi-cell battery there may also be some cell balancing circuitry as without it, one cell could end up fully charged while the other cells would still only be part charged.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby Sam Spoons » Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:27 pm

Thanks James, I was aware of that which is why I queried the 'sleep mode' on the Bose forum. Above was the gist of the answers given. It still seems unnecessary to me though. That and the ongoing 'issue' suggest they got that part of the design wrong and have been trying to fudge it.

I'm still not convinced by the "less than 10% have the issue" claim either. When I've had a chat with Bose service (when and if they do get around to calling me) I'll make a decision on whether to keep the S1 or not. I'm now wondering if anybody else is planning to produce a similar speaker (The JBL effort doesn't sound great so I have more or less discounted it).
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:24 am

Latest update.

My S1 arrived back from Belgium yesterday after their second attempt to 'fix' it. I have fully charged it but it will be at least a couple of weeks before I can say if they have returned it to it's 'pre-fix' state or better so I'll keep you posted.

A small number of other S1 owners have experienced the same failure to make an effective repair on the part of Bose service and have expressed themselves fairly 'robustly' on the Bose user forum (as, TBF, have I). Bose are playing the cards very close to their chest and I do have a degree of sympathy for the mods but avoiding answering perfectly reasonably questions WRT future reliability of the S1 system is not helpful.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:26 am

Disappointing indeed. Thanks for the update, Sam.
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Sam Spoons » Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:42 am

I know you did look at the Bose forum thread a while ago but not sure if you have been keeping up to date. The latest post, this morning, is from a UK user who's two 'repaired' S1s are showing 100% (i.e. >90%) on the app after 25 days idle. There may be light at the end of the tunnel :clap:

On the down side (for me personally at least), Bose are still, after 6 months + and dozens of posts, moderating all my posts on an individual basis, not sure if they are doing the same to the others calling them out WRT the 'battery drain issue'. This makes contributing to other areas of the forum, where I can, frustrating in the extreme as my posts don't appear for, sometimes, several hours, and they won't tell me what they think I'm doing wrong (they just say they are because they can.....). :headbang:
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:46 am

Forums' eh? Who'd want to moderate or post on one of them... :lol:
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Sam Spoons » Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:40 pm

I don't envy you your position as a mod Hugh. Nor their's TBF with bolshie buggers like me complaining about their dodgy kit ;) . You guys seem to handle it better though.....
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Previous