You are here

Bose S-1 battery issues

For performing musicians and engineers: stagecraft, engineering and gear.

Bose S-1 battery issues

Postby Sam Spoons » Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:28 pm

I thought this had been mentioned on he but can't find it in a search so here goes.

I bought a Bose S1 Pro about four weeks ago. Now I am impressed, it's expensive but very small and unfeasibly loud. I'm finding the sound on Bluetooth playback a bit hyped in the bass but probably mostly down to the media (will try with a wire/CD player at some point), As a PA with acoustic guitar and/or mic it's pretty good and is pretty much the only thing that does what it does on battery power (discounting the Boss Street Cube EX which doesn't sound anywhere near as good and the Boss AC33 which doesn't go anywhere near loud enough on battery power).

Which brings me to the problem....... When fully charged it will run for several hours on battery power so all good, but, I left it in the car for a few days while on hols and took it out for a rehearsal the day before the gig and it was flat. It had been fully charged when I put it in the car and, I confirmed, had not been accidentally switched on. I subsequently tested it by fully charging and leaving it for a few days in a 'safe place' where there was no risk of it being switched on by mistake. Sure enough it was nearly flat when I switched it on and a further check showed the battery was losing roughly 5% of it's charge a day even when switched off.

This is pretty disappointing as the main reason for buying it was for it's battery powered capabilities and I need to be able to rely on it being ready to go without me having to remember to charge it the day before a gig. I have an AER Compact 60 and three TC VoiceSolo's that do the same job very effectively but don't have the convenience of the built in battery, much of what I'll use the S1 for will be spontaneous sessions and open mics or WHY so the battery option is fundamental to it's usefulness.

A Quick Google reveals that the problem is known and not uncommon, Bose posted the following on their user forum in April this year

"Hi Everybody,

If your S1 Pro battery is draining when the system is not in use and not connected to AC power, please continue to be patient while Bose implements a sustainable fix that can be carried out in all locations. In the meantime, please charge up the unit before each use.

Please note: This issue does not affect the battery life while you are using your system. The battery drain only happens when the S1 Pro system is off and not connected to AC power.

There is no need to contact Bose Support about the issue. When there is a resolution, we will announce it here in the community."

As of today there have been no further announcements.

I have arranged to exchange my ex display S1 for a box fresh one and will see if that has the same issue, if it does I will have to reconsider the position.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Re: Bose S-1 battery issues

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:38 pm

Yes, it has been flagged up as an issue with some -- but apparently not all -- units. Something causes a drain on the battery when it is supposedly switched off...

I've not seen an update from Bose about a fix for it yet...

My own S1 doesn't seem to have a problem, but I leave it plugged in to a switched timer when at home, anyway, which powers up for a couple of hours in the evening just to keep the battery topped up. I use the same timer to power up my camera battery chargers and other stuff that needs to be kept topped up -- but which I don't want left on all the time or when I'm not at home!

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Wonks » Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:39 pm

So there's your answer. Give it to Hugh to keep it charged. :D
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby Rob Kirkwood » Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:54 pm

My S-1 doesn't appear to have the problem either - although I do usually give it a charge the evening before I know I'm going to need it.

I just went & checked - mine was fully charged last Thursday evening, I used it on battery power for about an hour Friday morning, it's been in the backpack ever since & the indicator is still giving me 4 blips (meaning >75% charge). So 1 hour's use & 4+ days in the bag, still showing a healthy charge.

Hopefully your replacement will be better.

The only annoyance I have had is that it's way too easy to knock the switch to 'on' while it's sitting in the backpack.

Rob
Rob Kirkwood
Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:55 pm

Rob Kirkwood wrote:The only annoyance I have had is that it's way too easy to knock the switch to 'on' while it's sitting in the backpack.

Rob

I do at least have a possible solution to that issue ;) I have a Boss Micro Cube which has a push on/off power button and in it's native state it's very easy to accidentally turn it on (and on one occasion, break the projecting button off). I simply cut a rectangle of EVA type foam (from a camping sleep mat or similar) with a rectangular hole just big enough to allow a finger to operate the button. Stick it on with double sided tape so it can be removed without cosmetic damage to the amp and Robert his your relative of choice. I guess I will do the same with the new S1.

Liking the timer idea Hugh, I'll probably set that up too as I have loads of bits of mobile kit that I don't really want to leave on charge 24/7.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby wdsteele » Sat Sep 21, 2019 9:02 am

Just bought mine from Andertons , same issue with battery drain , switched on this morning and flat as can be : not sure if it’s worth exchanging , probably quite hit and miss by the sounds of things : puzzling though that different units should have an issue and others not .
They were originally selling with the battery as an option , just wondering if the bundled battery is the real issue , if so , might not bode too well for its longevity .
wdsteele
Regular

Postby Sam Spoons » Sat Sep 21, 2019 9:24 am

I have collected my replacement, manufactured 12/2018! (the original was similar IIRC). It's in the studio fully charged, unplugged and switched off, I'm away for the weekend so we'll see if it has lost charge when I get back on Monday evening. The original was the demo unit, the new one is unopened.

The fault is with the unit not the battery apparently, if you remove the battery it holds it charge as expected.

I'll see how this one goes and decide if I can live with it.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Postby wdsteele » Sat Sep 21, 2019 9:36 am

That’s good to know I guess , thanks .

Heard someone suggested could be Bluetooth related.

I’m just on the 30 day return period , Andertons will honour an exchange , but need to let them know either way this weekend , so , I’ll put a full charge on today then see if the battery life claims are reasonably close : I’ve seen anything from 4 -7 hrs , depends on use I guess.

Great sounding unit though .
wdsteele
Regular

Postby Sam Spoons » Sat Sep 21, 2019 12:03 pm

Surely Bluetooth should not affect the battery life when the power switch is off?
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Sat Sep 21, 2019 12:47 pm

I can see why you might think that... :D
Hugh Robjohns

Postby ManFromGlass » Sat Sep 21, 2019 12:59 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote: but I leave it plugged in to a switched timer when at home, anyway, which powers up for a couple of hours in the evening just to keep the battery topped up.

H

Simple, elegant and brilliant idea :thumbup:

Thanks Hugh
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Sat Sep 21, 2019 1:01 pm

:D :thumbup:
Hugh Robjohns

Postby Sam Spoons » Sat Sep 21, 2019 3:20 pm

I think I've replied to this up-thread :D and I'll probably start doing the same. But that is still only a sticking plaster over the wound. As I said above, a big reason for buying a battery powered amp is to allow spontaneity, in summer I spend 5 weeks in Anglesey with no space to have it constantly charging and in that context this issue definitely works against me so I hope Bose find a solution soon (and before next summer at least).

It is not the only battery powered 'pro standard' amp to have issues though, my bass player Woody's Phil Jones Briefcase can have a standard 12v SLA battery installed which will charge whenever the power is plugged in, unfortunately the charger is not sophisticated and, if you leave it plugged in for too long it fries the battery. Ok Hugh's timer should sort that but it also charges while in use on mains power leading to the same failure so you also have to disconnect one of the DC power links on the back. A bit of a pain but I suppose the upside is that the batteries are very cheap to replace (Woody knows, he's bought two.....).
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Sat Sep 21, 2019 3:53 pm

I've seen more than one recommendation to disconnect the mains power from the S1 and then remove the battery pack. After 30 seconds or so reinstall the battery and monitor the situation again. It seems unlikely... but it's safe and easy to try, so why not? At least one person has reported this cured the constant discharge problem he was having.

In your situation, if you get no joy from a replacement speaker, then removing the battery while the unit is being stored is supposed to prevent the self discharge. It's not very convenient, I grant, but it is only two screws to reinstall/remove the battery which shouldn't tax your spontaneity too much! :-)

H
Hugh Robjohns

Postby Sam Spoons » Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:50 am

Thanks Hugh, I hadn't heard of the 'take the battery out for 30 secs' idea, will give it a try but I was aware of removing the battery (think I mentioned it up-thread) and that is probably what I will do for the moment.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Sun Sep 22, 2019 11:13 am

I can't really see the battery removal doing anything useful. All it can really do is force a full reset of the internal electronics/processor, but if the real fix was that simple Bose would have announced it by now!

H
Hugh Robjohns

Postby Sam Spoons » Sun Sep 22, 2019 11:37 am

Yes that's what I thought, nothing to lose though. I don't know if this one has the problem or not but will find out Monday night. It was fully charged on Friday so if it has less than 100% on Monday I'll know t has the issue to some degree. The app shows battery charge state but only to a 10% resolution (the power led indicates the same on switch on with1-4 flashes representing 25% increments).
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Sun Sep 22, 2019 6:18 pm

Bose may well have suggested the reset procedure, it is detailed here https://toonz.ca/bose/wiki/index.php?title=S1_Pro_System_Reset.

The screws are depicted as and described as 'Phillips and Frearson' heads, shown next to an image of a Pozedrive screwdriver :headbang:
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Postby ConcertinaChap » Sun Sep 22, 2019 7:39 pm

Thanks for raising this, Sam. I'd not noticed an issue with mine but that's because I'm a compulsive charger, as you might say. I'll check mine and see what happens.

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
If you want me I'll be down on Sound on Sound on Sound.

Postby wdsteele » Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:46 am

Well , as expected the battery life after full charge is lasting just fine , we got around 6 hrs of Bluetooth playback yesterday before calling it a day.

I’ve decided to keep my model rather than exchange , the unit does everything I’d originally purchased it for , so , providing I don’t need the unit at short notice I can wait for any subsequent fix .

Only other drawback is that my kids have really taken to it , just as they had previously with my iPad : “Baby Shark” has never sounded so good at 7am .
wdsteele
Regular

Next