You are here

PA Live sound advice needed please

For performing musicians and engineers: stagecraft, engineering and gear.

Re: PA Live sound advice needed please

Postby Wonks » Mon Sep 23, 2019 1:41 pm

If you can, then I really suggest you get them. They should be a lot better and louder than the Wharfdales. I'm sure you'd like them. The only real difference between the Mk 1 and Mk 2 is that the Mk2s have a slightly larger voice-coil tweeter.

If you can't get enough volume into the venues with those, then you won't do it without a much larger and more expensive PA, including subs.

But I'm sure you will.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby Shortie4291 » Mon Sep 23, 2019 1:44 pm

Thank you for all your advice
Shortie4291
Poster

Postby DanR » Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:00 pm

Those will be far better than the Wharfedales. Bags of power and quite compact.
Hopefully will be ok to manage at around 18kg.
You’ll have a full 2k Yamaha PA then :thumbup:
DanR
Regular

Postby Shortie4291 » Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:37 pm

DanR wrote:Those will be far better than the Wharfedales. Bags of power and quite compact.
Hopefully will be ok to manage at around 18kg.
You’ll have a full 2k Yamaha PA then :thumbup:

yes I think I'm going to bite the bullet and sell a kidney or something and spend the extra £200
Shortie4291
Poster

Postby Wonks » Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:52 pm

Hopefully better sound = happier punters = more gigs = more gig income!

All the best.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby Mike Stranks » Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:55 pm

Another :thumbup: for Yamaha DXRs...

... and just coming back (for Hugh) on MG06 output level... Yup! I was puzzled as the specs say it's standard +4... But I've had numerous mixers in my time, most rated at 0 = +4 (shorthand folks, shorthand) and it was far more 'spiky' than any of them.

One of life's little mysteries... :)
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Mon Sep 23, 2019 3:04 pm

:ugeek: Hmmm ...odd. Never used that Yamaha desk, but I'm intrigued now!
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Sam Spoons » Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:47 pm

Another here who would definitely go for the Yamaha's over the Behringers, well worth the extra cash IMHO. As I said, I have DXR10s and they are excellent, I would buy them again without reservation.

Definitely go for 10" or 12" speakers, vocals are the focus of your act and 15" don't sound great on vocals unless you go very expensive.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby AlecSp » Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:42 am

Just before everyone goes shopping with your hard earned money, I'm rather confused at the inability of, admittedly low range, speakers to cover small audiences with vocal & track performances. I'd expect to put in a couple of my RCF ART 710s for shows like that and to have ample headroom.

Where are you based? If local to any other folk, you may well find someone who can come out and give a second opinion, and perhaps let you try some of their kit to see/hear other options. More positively, it might be that you simply aren't using your current kit optimally. It may not be the best, but if it can be made to deliver for you, then that's a big saving over investing in new kit - albeit that new semi-decent kit is likely to give you an improvement.
AlecSp
Regular

Postby DanR » Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:50 pm

AlecSp wrote:Just before everyone goes shopping with your hard earned money, I'm rather confused at the inability of, admittedly low range, speakers to cover small audiences with vocal & track performances. I'd expect to put in a couple of my RCF ART 710s for shows like that and to have ample headroom.

Yes.
Looks like the Wharfedales have similar spec as the RCFs, apart from speaker size.
I think RCF's amps and drivers are more efficient and the 7 series are quite a step up from budget level.
DanR
Regular

Postby AlecSp » Tue Sep 24, 2019 4:05 pm

DanR wrote:Looks like the Wharfedales have similar spec as the RCFs, apart from speaker size.
I think RCF's amps and drivers are more efficient and the 7 series are quite a step up from budget level.
Well, I would certainly expect my ART 710s to be quite a bit more pokey than the Wharfedales, but I still find it hard to believe that such a simple setup is beyond those speakers' ability to provide acceptable level and coverage for the audience subscribed - I'd be quite surprised if there isn't a problem elsewhere in the setup, rather than the speakers - but of course completely prepared to be proven wrong.
AlecSp
Regular

Postby DanR » Tue Sep 24, 2019 5:22 pm

AlecSp wrote:but I still find it hard to believe that such a simple setup is beyond those speakers' ability to provide acceptable level and coverage for the audience subscribed - I'd be quite surprised if there isn't a problem elsewhere in the setup, rather than the speakers - but of course completely prepared to be proven wrong.

Yes. I must admit I find it surprising that the Typhons are maxing out for a smallish crowd.
Especially being a 12” with a backing track and single vocal rather than instruments/vocals.
I wonder how they stack up against these:
https://www.gear4music.com/PA-DJ-and-Li ... gKGZPD_BwE

There’s some big numbers there at £100 cheaper than the Wharfedales.
DanR
Regular

Postby Sam Spoons » Tue Sep 24, 2019 6:16 pm

We've explored most possibilities at the beginning of the thread (I suggested that 129dB should be more than enough for the OP's needs). She is a pro gigging singer by the sound of it so some investment is not unreasonable.

The Wharfdales are an unknown quantity to most of us, and, since she can return them for exchange for the DXR12 mk1s for not a lot more money, that makes it a reasonable suggestion IMHO as they will serve well in much larger venues than the one referred to (she does play holiday camps and functions which are likely bigger rooms) and will probably still be doing so long after the Titans have gone to the great gig in the sky.

Alec's suggestion that somebody hook up with her to check things over is probably a good one if it's possible, better if she can find out what is causing the root problem before spending but the time to exchange will be limited I guess.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Previous