You are here

PA Live sound advice needed please

For performing musicians and engineers: stagecraft, engineering and gear.

Re: PA Live sound advice needed please

Postby AlecSp » Tue Sep 24, 2019 4:05 pm

DanR wrote:Looks like the Wharfedales have similar spec as the RCFs, apart from speaker size.
I think RCF's amps and drivers are more efficient and the 7 series are quite a step up from budget level.
Well, I would certainly expect my ART 710s to be quite a bit more pokey than the Wharfedales, but I still find it hard to believe that such a simple setup is beyond those speakers' ability to provide acceptable level and coverage for the audience subscribed - I'd be quite surprised if there isn't a problem elsewhere in the setup, rather than the speakers - but of course completely prepared to be proven wrong.
AlecSp
Regular

Postby DanR » Tue Sep 24, 2019 5:22 pm

AlecSp wrote:but I still find it hard to believe that such a simple setup is beyond those speakers' ability to provide acceptable level and coverage for the audience subscribed - I'd be quite surprised if there isn't a problem elsewhere in the setup, rather than the speakers - but of course completely prepared to be proven wrong.

Yes. I must admit I find it surprising that the Typhons are maxing out for a smallish crowd.
Especially being a 12” with a backing track and single vocal rather than instruments/vocals.
I wonder how they stack up against these:
https://www.gear4music.com/PA-DJ-and-Li ... gKGZPD_BwE

There’s some big numbers there at £100 cheaper than the Wharfedales.
DanR
Regular

Postby Sam Spoons » Tue Sep 24, 2019 6:16 pm

We've explored most possibilities at the beginning of the thread (I suggested that 129dB should be more than enough for the OP's needs). She is a pro gigging singer by the sound of it so some investment is not unreasonable.

The Wharfdales are an unknown quantity to most of us, and, since she can return them for exchange for the DXR12 mk1s for not a lot more money, that makes it a reasonable suggestion IMHO as they will serve well in much larger venues than the one referred to (she does play holiday camps and functions which are likely bigger rooms) and will probably still be doing so long after the Titans have gone to the great gig in the sky.

Alec's suggestion that somebody hook up with her to check things over is probably a good one if it's possible, better if she can find out what is causing the root problem before spending but the time to exchange will be limited I guess.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Previous