You are here

Correct Cable Type

For performing musicians and engineers: stagecraft, engineering and gear.

Correct Cable Type

Postby jonesy » Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:36 pm

I want to run a cable from the passive output of a powered floor monitor to a line level input on my mixer (a Tapco 6306) in order to hear the monitor mix via headphones. Will an instrument cable be suitable for this, or should I use a non-shielded speaker cable?

Many thanks for any help.
jonesy
Poster

Re: Correct Cable Type

Postby blinddrew » Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:54 pm

Assuming it's a standard line level output from the monitor, is it a balanced or unbalanced output? If the former then a balanced cable would be best, if the latter then a standard instrument cable.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Sam Spoons » Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:22 pm

Not sure what you mean by 'passive output'? If it's an output from the power amp to an additional passive speaker then you need some kind of attenuator or 're-amp box', a speaker output will be much too strong a signal for a line in and it will, at best, massively distort the input and at worst permanently damage your mixer. If OTOH it is a simple link out (parallel to the input) the you'll be fine and, as Drew has said, you need shielded signal cable, definitely not speaker cable.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby MarkPAman » Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:33 pm

What's the make & model of the wedge?
MarkPAman
Frequent Poster

Postby Wonks » Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:40 pm

What make/model of powered monitor is it? They often have both a line level link output and also a Speakon or jack output that provides a power amp output to power a passive monitor.

The line level inputs/outputs may both be jack or both XLR type, depending on its age and cost. If XLRs, the signals will be line level (I know you've said line level, but this is for anyone else who's not that experienced who may read this), so you won't want an XLR-XLR cable that feeds into a mic input on your mixer, you'll need an XLR-TRS jack cable to feed into a line input on your mixer.

I presume that the monitor is being fed by another mixer? If not and the feed comes from your Tapco, you can easily create a feedback loop that will give an unpleasant loud howl.

And if you are using your mixer as a personal sub-mixer to feed the main mixer, then you need to make sure that the monitor signal is not being sent back to the main mixer to again avoid feedback.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby jonesy » Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:54 pm

Thanks for the replies. By 'Passive' I meant the output mirrors the input and is not amplified - intended for daisy chaining other powered cabinets. The output is apparently a speakon with a 1/4" jack socket in the centre. It's an inexpensive monitor by 'Subzero' (Gear4Music, I believe) - model SZS-C12MAE. Yes - the monitor is being fed by the band's PA mixer, which has only 1 monitor send I believe.
jonesy
Poster

Postby blinddrew » Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:01 pm

You've got two different outputs on that unit. Either a line-out (on either jack or XLR) which you can route back to your mixer - an XLR to TRS would be your best bet as suggested by Wonks above) OR a powered output on the speakon connection. That's not a jack socket in the middle of it, that's a speaker-only output for a passive speaker and should definitely not be routed back to the mixer.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:02 pm

If it has a jack in the centre it is not a speakon, nor is it an output, neither XLRF or speakon have that option.

speed typists rule ok
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:12 pm

jonesy wrote:I want to run a cable from the passive output of a powered floor monitor...

What exactly is a 'passive output'? I suspect you mean a 'link' output -- an output wired directly across and in parallel with the input.

It would be helpful if you could tell us what this powered floor monitor is, and what kind of connector is provided....

But If it really is a powered monitor, the chances are the output you're referring to is a balanced line-level output for linking to additional floor monitors, and is either on a male XLR or a TRS socket.

If that's the case, then an XLR-f or TRS to TRS cable to feed a line input of the mixer should be all you need.

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby blinddrew » Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:14 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:
jonesy wrote:I want to run a cable from the passive output of a powered floor monitor...

What exactly is a 'passive output'?

It would be helpful if you could tell us what this powered floor monitor is, and what kind of connector is provided....

But If it really is a powered monitor, the chances are the output you're referring to is a balanced line-level output for linking to additional floor monitors, and is either on a male XLR or a TRS socket.

If that's the case, then an XLR-f or TRS to TRS cable to feed a line input of the mixer should be all you need.

H
It's got both Hugh (model details above).
blinddrew
Jedi Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:26 pm

Yes, thanks Drew. I started writing my response and then had to break off as I had a visitor. By the time they went and I was able to complete and post an entire library of other posts and responses had appeared... making mine rather obsolete! :blush:

H
Hugh Robjohns

Postby Wonks » Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:32 pm

Don't worry. We still love you. xx :P
Wonks
Jedi Poster

Postby Wonks » Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:44 pm

So this monitor?

https://www.gear4music.com/PA-DJ-and-Li ... nitor/1H8Q

If so then a female XLR to TRS lead of a suitable length should do it, as long as the line-out socket on the monitor isn't being used to feed another monitor (that doesn't have any through connections).

A cable like this should be long enough (though shorter ones are obviously available).

https://www.gear4music.com/G4M/XLR-F-Ba ... le-9m/108X
Wonks
Jedi Poster

Postby jonesy » Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:54 pm

Thanks so much to everyone for the replies and information - I'm sorted now. Just out of interest, had I simply connected a standard jack to jack 'instrument' cable between the line out and my mixer channel, would that have worked or caused problems?

Again, many thanks.
jonesy
Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:55 pm

That would have worked fine, a little more susceptible to hum and noise* but otherwise fine.

*and possible a reduced level but most likely not.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:04 pm

jonesy wrote: Just out of interest, had I simply connected a standard jack to jack 'instrument' cable between the line out and my mixer channel, would that have worked or caused problems?

It would have worked -- as in the signal would have reached the mixer. But being unbalanced, there would be a reasonable risk of suffering interference, and a very high risk of suffering nasty ground loop hums and buzzes. So definitely not the recommended solution.

H
Hugh Robjohns