You are here

Boss VE-2 Harmonist with Digital Piano?

For performing musicians and engineers: stagecraft, engineering and gear.

Boss VE-2 Harmonist with Digital Piano?

Postby AMOS63 » Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:57 pm

I wasn't sure which forum to post this in, but I'm curious if anyone knows if a Digital Piano will work as the input instrument instead of a Guitar? This would be for a live performance.
AMOS63
Poster

Re: Boss VE-2 Harmonist with Digital Piano?

Postby Sam Spoons » Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:46 pm

Can't see why not but several of the TC Helicon harmony boxes can use midi as the control input which should be considerably more efficient (no need to A/D the control and then decode the chord). I've used several TC Helicon vocal harmony boxes with guitar and all have a fair bit of latency, midi should be pretty much latency free I'd have thought.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Wonks » Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:04 am

I'd go with Sam's suggestion of a unit that can accept MIDI - but obviously your keyboard needs a hardware MIDI output to do this and quite a lot of keyboards just have USB MIDI these days.

The pitch/chord detection algorithms on the Boss are probably optimised for guitar, so may not work as well (or at all) with keyboards (in general) depending on the sounds used. If you stick to straight piano, then the waveforms are fairly similar in basic nature to a guitar's, so there's a good chance it will work, providing the notes played aren't too low or too high. (I expect some high pass filtering is used to get a cleaner signal to work on). But a PWM sound say, may well confuse it.

A MIDI-based unit is a far better idea though, as pitch detection is a far more cumbersome and error prone method of determining the chord data. And these guitar units do prefer chords, not slowly arpeggiated notes.

But if you are really keen on the Boss unit, then I'd suggest trying one out first.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby AMOS63 » Sat Oct 19, 2019 6:06 pm

Thanks for the input!
AMOS63
Poster