You are here

Booming bass bin

For performing musicians and engineers: stagecraft, engineering and gear.

Re: Booming bass bin

Postby gsc1ugs » Sun Oct 20, 2019 3:05 pm

gsc1ugs
Regular

Postby Music Wolf » Sun Oct 20, 2019 3:46 pm

The crossover on the sub appears to be fixed at 120Hz

https://www.musix.com/de/en/SR-Technology-STW-1000A-BLK-Black-162876.html
Music Wolf
Frequent Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Sun Oct 20, 2019 3:50 pm

I can't read the legends on the panel so don't know what the switches do but, as James suggests, connect both mixer outputs to the L & R inputs on the sub and connect the X-Over outs to the inputs on the DXR15s. Set the DXR15 HPF and D-Contour switches to 'off' and the HPF (below the gain on the mixer) button to on and you should be good to go.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby shufflebeat » Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:03 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:
gsc1ugs wrote:I'm not going down the road of hiring someone in, im on here to get educated i thought that was its purpose...

Yes and no.

+Yup.

With a small amount of genuine understanding a lot of apparently conflicting advice can be assessed in context and seen not to contradict.

One other point, when you're dealing with an appropriate, well matched system a lot of the donkey work has been done for you during the design process. When you cobble together elements from different sources you need to understand the principles and the strengths/weaknesses of every element just to create a level playing field.

We had a little 3 day punk fest in the days where those were fresh and new and no butter advertising was involved. The first few days the sound was abominable (we convinced ourselves it was the goal, it wasn't). The third day was headlined by the Undertones. Feargal Sharkey walked into the hall and without speaking to anyone went straight to the PA, stuffed some spare T shirts into the H/H horns and pointed them to the back wall. He rewired the rest of the speakers through the H/H's filters and disconnected half the midrange speakers and the graphic EQ if memory serves.

That was my first experience of somebody knowing what they were doing. The gig was very loud and very sweet.
shufflebeat
Jedi Poster
Apple Watch - the slowest of all the nature programmes.

Postby funky54 » Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:12 pm

You have a number of questions, your trying to isolate through different threads.

I think all of your threads are 1 topic. What should you use for a system? The individual threads are going to provide non-cohesive advice pulling you in different directions.
funky54
Poster

Postby gsc1ugs » Sun Oct 27, 2019 10:12 am

Update, i used the sub xover outs to the dxr15’s it was awe full, i also put sub off stage on the floor, i’m not getting anything like a nexo thump (which i’ve heard) i’m seriously thinking of a digital amps and controller setup up, due to the awkward room setup last night, i would like two passive subs, and 4 satellites so i could use 2 tops for small room 4 for the big but always use the subs, not too big and being passive would not be back breaking, also nothing too big, ls400’s look ideal, what setup you recommend? I’m not OCD but very close. :problem:
gsc1ugs
Regular

Postby Sam Spoons » Sun Oct 27, 2019 10:29 am

Have you heard the 'Next thump' using your backing tracks and player? What mixer was it through? Have you heard it from an LS400 rig? Finally would you be prepared to spend the £10k+ that rig is going to cost you?
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby gsc1ugs » Sun Oct 27, 2019 10:33 am

Ive heard it through nexo yea, im goin 2nd hand so in no rush, has to be right. Showcase next month and that could bring the cash in, looking for small but many so i can cater for all venues Sam
gsc1ugs
Regular

Postby Sam Spoons » Sun Oct 27, 2019 10:57 am

gsc1ugs wrote:Ive heard it through nexo yea,

With your tracks? What mixer? And was it LS400s or some other Nexo subs?

My one experience of Nexo was with 'Mad Manners' and it sounded fantastic, the subs were much bigger than those LS400s though.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Postby gsc1ugs » Sun Oct 27, 2019 2:26 pm

they where ls400 and id210's mixer is basic 12 channel thing, nothing special, all my tracks are now wav's
gsc1ugs
Regular

Postby Sam Spoons » Sun Oct 27, 2019 2:30 pm

Well, I think you've answered your own question then :thumbup:
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Postby James Perrett » Sun Oct 27, 2019 2:31 pm

I don't think you need to go all the way up to Nexo. The subs you are using are very cheap and basic. I'd be looking at the matching Yamaha subs for your tops first - that will be a much cheaper solution than the Nexo system but probably much better than what you have now.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby gsc1ugs » Sun Oct 27, 2019 2:36 pm

Sam Spoons wrote:Well, I think you've answered your own question then :thumbup:
Not sure i understand... you mean, nexo is the way forward?
gsc1ugs
Regular

Postby Sam Spoons » Sun Oct 27, 2019 7:06 pm

I would still advise trying James solution (which I think I have suggested in at least one other thread) and go for a Yamaha DXS15 mk2 sub (and a pair of DZR10 tops too if it was me). But you've come back to the Nexo at least a couple of times in the past so it sounds like you have decided the Nexo rig is what you need. There's no use buying a fast Ford when your heart really wants a Ferrari.

TBF the Nexo rig is much lighter than the Yamaha DSR/DZR rig but doesn't go as loud.

It might be worth remembering that Yamaha now own Nexo so, hopefully, there might be some trickle down into the DZR and DSR mk2s.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Postby James Perrett » Sun Oct 27, 2019 9:35 pm

If you are really seriously considering the Nexo kit I would strongly advise hiring that setup for a gig or two before buying.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby AlecSp » Mon Oct 28, 2019 12:52 am

It's still worrying to hear that your sound using DXS15s is so disappointing to you. With a simple track & vocal requirement, a pair of DXSs should produce a good sound by themselves, albeit without full-on subby grunt. There must be some other factor coming into play. Adding a cheap sub may not help, but I'm still suspicious that there's something else contributing that isn't necessarily equipment-based

You *really* need some skilled help. There are myriad possible causes of your ropey sound. Shonky radio mic? Poorly produced track (that might sound great at home, but not on a loud PA)? Poor speaker placement? Listening from behind the speakers? Poor mixer setup (EQ/gain structure/FX)? Someone who knows their salt might make dramatic improvements with no kit purchased - and, if you're lucky, might not even cost more than a couple of beers. And you'd have learned something.

You'll be lucky to get your problems resolved on-line here, as even your phrases to describe sound are open to (a lot of) interpretation.

By all means, go off and buy some expensive kit, but you're still likely to be be back afterwards with similar problems and a *much* emptier wallet.

We're trying to help you - honnest!
AlecSp
Regular

Postby gsc1ugs » Mon Oct 28, 2019 10:14 am

Alex, my sub is a sr technology sub 118s its retailed (or was) £1200 so you would think it would be ok but i dont think it marrys well with the yamaha,
Sam? i do like the idea of the dzr10’s but what i was thinking of listening to them first, sounds daft but i can hear the plastic cases of the dxr15’s and i do know the dzr10’s are wood cabinets so i will demo them.

I was thinking in the long run if this was being my profession i want good gear so the idea was small stuff and just add when the venue needs it rather than a stack for every ocassion that doesn’t need it.
gsc1ugs
Regular

Postby gsc1ugs » Sat Nov 02, 2019 6:00 pm

Been having some serious thoughts about this, how does this sit with you educated audio people, keep my dxr15’s get 2 dxs15’s when more head room needed add two dxr10’s either side. I have no problem with my dxr15’s at this stage.
gsc1ugs
Regular

Postby AlecSp » Sat Nov 02, 2019 7:21 pm

gsc1ugs wrote:Been having some serious thoughts about this, how does this sit with you educated audio people, keep my dxr15’s get 2 dxs15’s when more head room needed add two dxr10’s either side. I have no problem with my dxr15’s at this stage.
Just adding more speakers isn't the right way to get more headroom. You'll typically find that the multiple drivers next to each other will couple poorly, resulting in unpleasant comb filtering interference - and which just might sound no louder.

The right way to get more level (which will give you more headroom) is to get a speaker capable of delivering it. Probably not the answer you wanted to hear, though.
AlecSp
Regular

Postby Sam Spoons » Sun Nov 03, 2019 12:20 am

Adding DXS subs will let the DXR15s have a bit more headroom but, if you plan to buy them and two DXR10s you'd definitely be better off (as I think Alec is hinting) to sell the DXR15s and buy some better speakers*. Either the DZR10's (much louder) and, for starters a single DXS15 mk2 (add a second later if you need it), or the Nexo PS10/LS400 rig (but that's a much more expensive proposition and I'd strongly advise finding a dealer who can arrange a full volume side by side comparison of the Nexo and DZR/DXS rigs before spending).

* 2 x DZR10 + 1 x DSR15/2 £2600, with 2 x DXS15/2s £3300.
Nexo PS10/LS400 rig £10k ish.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

PreviousNext