You are here

Booming bass bin

For performing musicians and engineers: stagecraft, engineering and gear.

Re: Booming bass bin

Postby gsc1ugs » Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:32 am

Well im thinking used not new and ive found a nexo p8 x 2 with ls400 x 2 no amps though £1600
gsc1ugs
Regular

Postby gsc1ugs » Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:37 am

Going back to “just adding another speaker” that alec mentioned how to the array speakers go on? Are they not added for more volume? Really confused now.
gsc1ugs
Regular

Postby Music Wolf » Sun Nov 03, 2019 10:15 am

gsc1ugs wrote:Going back to “just adding another speaker” that alec mentioned how to the array speakers go on? Are they not added for more volume? Really confused now.

At the most basic level arrays are about 'directing' the sound rather than just increasing the volume.

https://www.soundonsound.com/techniques/line-arrays-explained

Achieving a great live sound is by no means a simple task. I've been playing in bands for more than 40 years, I've played countless gigs, I've been recording (commercial and home studios) for more than 35 years oh, and I've got a Physics degree. Despite all of this if I wanted to step up from my live set up today (Yamaha DXR's / Digital Desks / various monitors / IEMs) then, before spending a penny, I would start by bringing in an expert to firstly get the best out of what I already have and secondly to advise me as to how best to spend any additional money on gear.

It is very difficult to advise somebody when we haven't seen how your system is set up and, most importantly, heard what's going on.
Music Wolf
Frequent Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Sun Nov 03, 2019 11:05 am

gsc1ugs wrote:Well im thinking used not new and ive found a nexo p8 x 2 with ls400 x 2 no amps though £1600

Has it got the essential controller? Nexo amps are not cheap either and you might wait a fair while before finding a used one.

You know what you want to hear, the only way to resolve this is to go and hear the two rigs side by side in a big room where you can crank them up. If you can't find a dealer who can do it spend a few quid and hire them and a suitable room for a day.

STS Touring in Manchester have some Nexo kit, (PS10/LS500) and if you're thinking of spending £3k+ your local Yamaha dealer may be able to supply a demo rig.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby gsc1ugs » Sun Nov 03, 2019 12:07 pm

At the most basic level arrays are about 'directing' the sound rather than just increasing the volume.
Thats what i want to do, some of these rooms are queer shaped so 4 tops would be better dispersing into the direct needed. I have a lot to learn
gsc1ugs
Regular

Postby AlecSp » Sun Nov 03, 2019 8:35 pm

gsc1ugs wrote:Going back to “just adding another speaker” that alec mentioned how to the array speakers go on? Are they not added for more volume? Really confused now.
Line arrays are about dispersion control, not volume accumulation. An effective line array element takes lot of design to work well, plus knowledge to deploy successfully. Hence the price is usually high.

Nexo PS8? Possibly underpowered for yuor needs. PS10 is likely to be more suitable. But have a listen and then decide. Don't forget to use the right cotroller/amp, otherwise they'll soud poor and may not last long.
AlecSp
Regular

Previous