You are here

FOH 100,000 cubic feet

For performing musicians and engineers: stagecraft, engineering and gear.

FOH 100,000 cubic feet

Postby frozenfox » Thu Oct 24, 2019 1:03 am

Greetings all,

I need advice on FOH for a rectangular room of around 100,000 cubic feet.
What types of setup should i be looking at? I need a setup that will not take up large amounts of space on stage, the stage needs to stay as empty as possible. Ceiling mounted with just subs at ground level?

Any advice appreciated.

Thank you
frozenfox
Poster

Re: FOH 100,000 cubic feet

Postby Wonks » Thu Oct 24, 2019 6:32 am

Do you have the actual room dimensions as a volume figure leaves a lot to guesswork and will also include the stage area itself. Even knowing the rough height of the space will help as unless there are balconies, then the floor area is the zone that needs addressing. There' a big difference in floor area between a room 20' high to one 30' high with the same overall volume.

And then a rectangle can be almost square to long and thin, and you'd need to use different setups for both extremes.

Also, is this a proper designed concert space with controlled reverb, or is this a sports hall with hard flat surfaces everywhere?
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby MarkPAman » Thu Oct 24, 2019 8:54 am

Also, is this for full on rock bands to screaming crowds, or someone speaking to a polite attentive audience?
MarkPAman
Frequent Poster

Postby frozenfox » Fri Oct 25, 2019 6:55 pm

Thank you for the replies much appreciated.

Well the installation will be for a church.

The dimension are close too, 80ft width, 80 ft depth, 15ft height. The design is still in progress but this is pretty close. We are in the USA, so all walls (at present) will be standard drywall/plasterboard, with basic insulation behind (this is up for discussion). In terms of room treatment, we may just have to take it as is but there may be some budget (unknown).
At present we are just dealing with piano, bass, guitars and vocal week in week out. This will expand to drums, and such later down the line. In terms of desk and such all this is decided it is mainly the monitor system we need help with.

Hope this helps.

Thanks in advance.
frozenfox
Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Fri Oct 25, 2019 11:48 pm

Sounds to me like you are spending a lot of money to build the Church? To do so without the help of a 'proper' acoustic consultant (not a architect who 'knows about sound') would be foolish in the extreme. There are people on here who could help but they are mostly UK based, but the Church sound industry in the US is very well advanced so I'd say look around the local Churches and find one where the worship band sound great and ask who designed their sanctuary and sound system.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby resistorman » Sat Oct 26, 2019 9:24 pm

Yes, Sam is right. It will be harder and more expensive to attempt to fix the acoustics later and likely will never be right. Also, a properly designed space can make it much easier for volunteers to run sound, and might even result in less money spent on sound equipment.
resistorman
Frequent Poster