You are here

Extremely small receiver IEMs (In Ear Monitor) NO BELTPACK

For performing musicians and engineers: stagecraft, engineering and gear.

Extremely small receiver IEMs (In Ear Monitor) NO BELTPACK

Postby lackmaster » Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:12 pm

I'm very familiar and experienced with the current and past main-stream IEM systems from the typical manufacturers (Shure, Senn, etc). I am a signer that does many impersonations per performance with many quick changes all night. I am not able to find a solution for an IEM receiver that is SMALL, independent of needing a belt, and does not even need to be attached to clothing.
I'm rather frustrated that in the last 20 years, non of the IEM makers have come up with a system that does NOT use a beltpack!
This is for live performance, so any bluetooth solutions do not apply as the latency is too big. So it must be an RF solution.
Does anyone know of an IEM system that could be attached via maybe tape to the skin, or so small that it's built into the Earbud cable like many bluetooth earbuds have?
lackmaster

Re: Extremely small receiver IEMs (In Ear Monitor) NO BELTPACK

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:53 pm

lackmaster wrote:I am not able to find a solution for an IEM receiver that is SMALL, independent of needing a belt, and does not even need to be attached to clothing.
I'm rather frustrated that in the last 20 years, non of the IEM makers have come up with a system that does NOT use a Beltpack!

Well, there are plenty of handheld radio mics that have an integrated transmitter instead of a belt pack.... ;-)

But if you are using a headset or lavalier mic, a beltpack transmitter is still the only option. Sennheiser make a pretty compact UHF one, and in situations where a conventional pocket or belt fitting is inappropriate, it is frequently fitted to an elastic chest band to hold it in the small of the back, or strapped to the inside of a thigh. These techniques are often used for dancers in skimpy costumes, for example, such as on shows like Strictly Come Dancing, etc. Suitable elastic pouches are usually custom made by the costume department, but some of the well-known broadcast audio suppliers have suitable offerings or can get them made.

Does anyone know of an IEM system that could be attached via maybe tape to the skin, or so small that it's built into the Earbud cable like many bluetooth earbuds have?

The technology doesn't yet allow something built into an earbud cable... The physically smallest system I'm aware of is the new Rode WirelessGo which looks impressive. It's digital and operates in the 2.4GHz band, so there will be more latency than an analogue UHF system... The specs say its 6ms. More info here:

https://www.rode.com/wirelessgo
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby lackmaster » Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:17 pm

I'm referring to the beltpack RECEIVER for in-ear monitors.
lackmaster

Postby Dan LB » Tue Nov 05, 2019 12:29 am

RF beltpacks (TX or RX) do not *need* to be worn on a belt.

Provided you are always wearing *some* clothing covering your torso during your act, you could wear a suitable garment (perhaps a tight-fitting vest with a pocket stitched into the back of it that will hold the IEM pack) which allows you to wear whatever you want over it and allows costume changes.
There are commercially available products too.
Have a look at the ‘back strap’ by URSA straps.

https://ursastraps.com/product/backstraps/

Dan
Dan LB
Frequent Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:49 am

lackmaster wrote:I'm referring to the beltpack RECEIVER for in-ear monitors.

Oops! :oops: Sorry... misread your post.
Hugh Robjohns

Postby Wonks » Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:09 am

Hugh Robjohns wrote:
lackmaster wrote:I'm referring to the beltpack RECEIVER for in-ear monitors.

Oops! :oops: Sorry... misread your post.

Just getting old. ;)
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:11 am

Tell me about it! :think:
Hugh Robjohns

Postby Aural Reject » Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:32 am

Hugh Robjohns wrote:Tell me about it! :think:

Why? Wouldn't you just forget?

I'll go now.....
Aural Reject
Frequent Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:47 am

Do I know you? :lol:
Hugh Robjohns

Postby Aural Reject » Tue Nov 05, 2019 2:16 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:Do I know you? :lol:

Hopefully only when I ask real questions and you ignore the silly ones...of which there are plenty! :bouncy:
Aural Reject
Frequent Poster

Postby Virgovision » Fri Nov 08, 2019 3:02 pm

Phonak in ear monitor. If you are not in a very noisy environment. Not cheap but rx is just the bit you put on your ear! New one is called Roger!!!
Virgovision

Postby Wonks » Fri Nov 08, 2019 5:49 pm

Virgovision wrote:Phonak in ear monitor. If you are not in a very noisy environment. Not cheap but rx is just the bit you put on your ear! New one is called Roger!!!

https://www.raycom.co.uk/product/phonak ... -receiver/

https://www.raycom.co.uk/product/phonak ... ansmitter/

With an audio range of 100Hz to 7.2kHz, it's not going to be audiophile quality sound, but good enough to hear voice or backing music. It's not an isolating earpiece, so not great in a very noisy environment.

Not cheap, but it should meet your needs. At least the batteries are fairly inexpensive.
Wonks
Jedi Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:47 pm

Ooh... Lots of people suggesting the same thing! Sorry to be late back in this thread. The Phonak in-ear receive is what I would suggest, too.

https://www.phonak-communications.com/e ... -prompter/

It is often used for presenter talkback duties in TV studios. Not sure how secure it would be for someone doing a dance routine -- should your act involve such a thing -- but a bit of surgical tape carefully placed would probably prevent its loss during energetic routines. It certainly would avoid any costume change issues... If the budget can take the strain.

H
Hugh Robjohns

Postby Sam Spoons » Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:14 pm

I can find no mention of latency in the web pages? It is a digital system and designed for comms rather than music so latency is maybe not a consideration?

OTOH if the OP is not singing, or at least, not using the earpiece for vocal foldback latency may not be an issue for him either.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Dan LB » Sat Nov 09, 2019 3:22 am

Sam Spoons wrote:I can find no mention of latency in the web pages? It is a digital system and designed for comms rather than music so latency is maybe not a consideration?.

I haven’t used one in a while but If I remember correctly latency is around 25ms and they’re not designed for hi fidelity music reproduction. As Hugh says, they are often used for presenter talkback in TV studios.

Dan
Dan LB
Frequent Poster

Postby Wonks » Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:41 am

The Roger is a new model, with almost double the frequency range of the previous models that you may be familiar with. However it probably is still best for just voice.

The Roger may also have better latency, though it's worth the OP trying them out before investing a considerable sum in something that may still not be suitable, despite fitting their main criteria.
Wonks
Jedi Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:55 am

lackmaster wrote:I am a signer that does many impersonations per performance with many quick changes all night.

Just for clarity are you a 'signer' or a 'singer' lackmaster?

If a singer 25ms latency probably makes the Raycom unusable (I can't work with more than 6ms in IEMs).
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........