You are here

Two way radio for tech crew

For performing musicians and engineers: stagecraft, engineering and gear.

Two way radio for tech crew

Postby Marty Frolick » Wed Nov 06, 2019 5:34 pm

Hi, folks.
I am looking for a two-way system for my stage manager, sound techs, and lighting techs, to communicate with during rehearsal and show times. My budget is $1,800 (Canadian currency).
I would like advice on brands, options, and any foreseeable issues with frequency interference -- we are running about 13 Sennheiser wireless headsets on frequencies ranging from 530 MHz to 610 MHz. Any ideas, advice would be much appreciated.
I am currently looking at Eartec UL4S Ultimate 4-person headset system. it operates on RF 1728 GHz and specifies frequency of 1920 to 1930 Hz.
Marty Frolick
Poster

Re: Two way radio for tech crew

Postby resistorman » Thu Nov 07, 2019 5:20 am

Once you start getting up into that frequency range, you do have more problems getting through walls, so that could be a consideration if the crew is backstage. Think about WiFi penetration through buildings.
resistorman
Frequent Poster

Postby Marty Frolick » Fri Nov 08, 2019 6:13 pm

Thanks! I mistyped those last frequencies - those should be 1920 to 1930 MHz (not Hz) but I'm guessing you caught that anyway!
Marty Frolick
Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:00 pm

I assume you are aware of licensing/frequency allocation requirements in you country/region, but for the benefit of anybody finding this thread later, you need to be aware of.........
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........