You are here

JBL EON ONE Problem with Tweeter Cutting Out After Two Hours

For performing musicians and engineers: stagecraft, engineering and gear.

JBL EON ONE Problem with Tweeter Cutting Out After Two Hours

Postby tonygardner » Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:01 pm

Hey Guys.

I have owned by JBL Eon One for a couple of years now, and for the most part have been VERY happy with its performance until recently.

Last summer I volunteered to bring my Eon One to the company picnic and provide some background music as well as a wired handheld mic for announcements and such. I powered up the amp around 11:00 a.m. and everyone enjoyed it until around 1:00 p.m. when the tweeter array started cutting out sporadically. So for a few seconds it was fine, then for a few seconds, you could only hear the woofer. Of course, as Murphy's law dictates, this happened when the PRESIDENT wanted to speak to the company.

Here's what I tried to fix it:
1. Re-seating the tweeter array.
2. Remove the two spacers and only have the active tweeter array connected.
3. Switch to the other channel,
4. Power it down and waited about two minutes before bringing it back up.

Unfortunately, none of that helped. One thing I did notice was that the top of the sub was starting to get quite warm from the afternoon summer sun. I thought maybe the plastic connectors were starting to deform, but even under high magnification, I couldn't see any abnormalities, and the gold connectors looked fine as well.

I continued to use it for months after that with no problems playing keys, vocals and guitar and even MIDI drums at a small weekly church service without any trouble.

Recently I accepted a music director position at a beautiful church (built in 1850) and proudly brought in my JBL Eon One. It worked great for the rehearsal and the first service. The Eon One stayed in the old sanctuary for about three weeks (a little chilly but dry), then when we had our second rehearsal, we cranked up the Eon One (I had setup two Mackie SRM450's for their PA earlier) and after about two hours of activity, it started to exhibit its old behavior with the tweeter cutting in and out. Again, I tried re-seating the tweeter array, etc. but without success. I ended up taking the unit home and figure I would have to drive a couple of hours to the nearest JBL service center, but I haven't done it YET.

Has anyone else experience problems like this? If so, was the only solution taking it to a JBL service center, or is there another option?
tonygardner

Re: JBL EON ONE Problem with Tweeter Cutting Out After Two Hours

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:25 pm

From your descriptions I'd suspect an overheating issue with the power amp driving the tweeter. Could be a self-protection mode being activated, or a circuit board issue (cracked PCB track, or dry joint?) or a connector problem...
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby cyrano.mac » Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:41 pm

I've seen this behaviour from one KRK recently. Some black glue used to secure the connectors, had turned conductive after years.

Careful removal of the goo fixed it. Wasn't a pleasant job... :headbang:
cyrano.mac
Regular

Postby resistorman » Tue Nov 12, 2019 6:56 am

Time to sell it or trade it in on a new one. It likely will perform flawlessly at the service center. If you’re morally nervous about selling an intermittently failing speaker to an unsuspecting person, donate it to some kids starting a band...
resistorman
Frequent Poster