You are here

Simple 19" mounting switched mains: Does this exist, other than DIY?

For performing musicians and engineers: stagecraft, engineering and gear.

Simple 19" mounting switched mains: Does this exist, other than DIY?

Postby MarkOne » Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:40 am

So here's the issue. We're just about to install our A&H SQ5 and AR2412 in our Church.

My plan is to build a purpose built rack housing at the stage position for the AR2412. But the nice people at A&H put the on-off switch on the back - which obviously makes it pretty inaccessible once racked up.

So I thought, make the housing 4U and include a 1U panel mains switch. Now this DIY solution is not beyond me, but it obviously will require more time which I don't really have.

All the rack mount mains distribution strips I can see seem to have the plugs on the outside. (Seems odd considering the idea is to power stuff IN the rack) - and I don't really need 6, 8 or 12 outputs

Am I missing something? - Note I don't need power-conditioning and bells or whistles and I don't need to be paying £££ for features I don't need
MarkOne
Frequent Poster
Debut Album 'Fantasy Bridge' available now!

Re: Simple 19" mounting switched mains: Does this exist, other than DIY?

Postby MarkPAman » Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:51 am

This does what you want, but is somewhat OTT.
https://cpc.farnell.com/art/pb4x4/power-distribution-system/dp/DP29958?st=Rack%20mount%20power%20distro

Can your rack have a hand sized hole in the side nearest the mains switch?
Or could the power to the rack be switched with an appropriate domestic switch?
MarkPAman
Frequent Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:00 am

I would suggest something like this:

https://www.pennelcomonline.com/en/Highlite-19-DJ-switch-unit-8-way-IEC-PDU-50309/m-9373.aspx

It's about £100... But you could allocate switches to fire up the console, the I/O rack, outboard, and even the FOH speakers and monitors individually... and if you order the connections to the switches sensibly it would encourage operators to fire the system up and shut it down in the right order!

Alternatively, ART do a PDU with a single front panel switch and eight rear IEC outlets for about £50. (The website only shows the US version).

https://www.artproaudio.com/product/pb4x4-power-distribution-system/

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby shufflebeat » Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:02 am

I came across a similar situation recently but decided a front and rear opening rack box was the answer. Outward facing sockets allow for plugs to be accessible for isolation or maintenance and with the main power cable going in from the front I could leave the rear panel on while in use.

Possibly not appropriate for your situation though.
shufflebeat
Jedi Poster
Apple Watch - the slowest of all the nature programmes.

Postby Wonks » Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:06 am

I'll suggest what ef37a will suggest with a remote RF switched mains block, something like these:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mercury-Remote ... 664&sr=8-2
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby MarkPAman » Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:22 am

Just found another - much better value:

https://www.bax-shop.co.uk/19-inch-power-strips/innox-rpd-r7uk-fs-19-inch-power-strip-uk?utm_source=connexity&utm_medium=price_comparison&utm_campaign=connexityfr-Cables&Tools&utm_term=9000-0029-9218

except that you'll need to allow for where the cable exits the 13A plug, so may need a bigger rack to put it in?
MarkPAman
Frequent Poster

Postby Wonks » Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:27 am

I think you'd be OK. You'd probably have 1" of space to turn the cable in. It's a silly design, but once installed and the mains lead cable tied to something to stop any pulling on the join, it should be fine.
Wonks
Jedi Poster

Postby Wonks » Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:29 am

Just work out whether you can fit all your plugs on the back. Remember than any wall-wart PSUs will probably be wider than a plug top, so you may have to leave gaps.
Wonks
Jedi Poster

Postby MarkPAman » Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:34 am

I'm reading this as the AR2412 being the only unit in the rack - though I could be wrong.
MarkPAman
Frequent Poster

Postby ef37a » Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:52 am

Wonks wrote:I'll suggest what ef37a will suggest with a remote RF switched mains block, something like these:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mercury-Remote ... 664&sr=8-2

Yup! Beat me to it Wonks. B&Q do simpler and cheaper.
One benefit of the switches are they are 'no volt switches' which means they will not reset on in the event of a power outages.

If you are concerned about reliablity I have had two sets, one of 3 one of 4, running for over 3 years nay bother. Especially useful when my JVC smart tv locks up off as it was at 8am today and needs a power cycle. Don't want to go back of the telly. Gahhh! not been there this year I don't think!

Great for invalids, the bedridden (or just lazy b'stds like me) Have the bedroom lights on two.

Just another thought? Be wary of fitting wall rat PSUs inside a rack with a nest of audio cables. The things chuck out some serious electrical noise.
Good test whan all is rigged, make a recording of the output with faders at working optimum but no inputs, a 'silent' recording if you will. Stuff the recording through an analyser like Right Mark. This will highlight any 50/100Hz spikes or other hash.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby MarkOne » Thu Nov 14, 2019 1:08 pm

Mark is right. Just the stage box in the stage area rack. So that unit he found is perfect for my needs.

But Hugh's multiple switch unit will certainly be making an appearance in the FOH position when we get our new purpose built AV production desk (finished to match the rest of the church installed furnishings) at the beginning of next year.

Thanks guys for the suggestions.

Off ordering now :)
MarkOne
Frequent Poster
Debut Album 'Fantasy Bridge' available now!

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Thu Nov 14, 2019 1:35 pm

Problem solved, I see... and yes, those remote-controlled mains switches are extremely useful and effective.

I had one other suggestion to add for others trawling this thread in future, which is a rack-mount dis-board with a switch on it. I've used several of these in my own racks, mounted at the top at the back:

https://cpc.farnell.com/lms-data/pdu-6ws-h-sp-1u/1u-6-way-surge-pro-pdu-13a-horiz/dp/EN84053

It's easy to just reach over the top corner of the rack and flip the switch on or off. And they also have a set of lights to warn of dodgy supply connections, which might be reassuring when touring!

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby MarkPAman » Thu Nov 14, 2019 1:56 pm

To add further info - those of the 1U design that Hugh & I have linked to have end panels that can be removed & fitted the other way around should you require a unit configured that way.

Also, being of a modular construction, they can be cut shorter to fit in smaller cases, without too much trouble.
MarkPAman
Frequent Poster

Postby Martin Walker » Thu Nov 14, 2019 2:56 pm

Now that's more like I had in mind, at a more sensible price - well done Mark! :clap:

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby forumuser768629 » Thu Nov 14, 2019 3:47 pm

These are decent, got 3 them on the back of my rack, mount either way

https://www.kenable.co.uk/en/networking ... 85390.html
forumuser768629

Postby shufflebeat » Thu Nov 14, 2019 7:14 pm

forumuser768629 wrote:These are decent, got 3 them on the back of my rack, mount either way

I've got a couple of them. Very good and, as has been described, can be flipped to face in or out of the case. The switch always go with the sockets though and I think that was a consideration for the OP.
shufflebeat
Jedi Poster

Postby shufflebeat » Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:14 pm

One more pretty obvious solution has just occurred to me. Most power strips have two "keyhole" mounting holes in the back meaning any one of them can be mounted to the wall or floor of the case with a couple of short woodscrews, or a heavy duty Velcro if that's not appropriate.

It came to me as I was looking at a 4 gang strip that I use myself Velcro'd into a weatherproof box. Doh!
shufflebeat
Jedi Poster

Postby Martin Walker » Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:02 pm

forumuser768629 wrote:These are decent, got 3 them on the back of my rack, mount either way

Even better value than the one I voted for before, but it's a shame there isn't a version with the switch on the front panel and the mains sockets on the back! ;)

Martin
Martin Walker