You are here

QSC TouchMix 16 has how many mono inputs

For performing musicians and engineers: stagecraft, engineering and gear.

QSC TouchMix 16 has how many mono inputs

Postby sound space » Sun Nov 17, 2019 3:52 am

Hi

I am planning on buying the QSC TM16. It has 16 mono in, 2 stereo in, a USB stereo in, and a talkback in.
I am wondering how many mono channels i can get out of it if i have to cater for a big set up.
Talkback can apparently be routed to the Main out, so, leaving aside the USB stereo in, I am imagining i can have 19 mono inputs. All i need to do is convert two of the mono 1/4 inch cables to a stereo input to have them feed both sides of the PA. Is that the case?
Thanks for any feedback.
sound space

Re: QSC TouchMix 16 has how many mono inputs

Postby AlecSp » Sun Nov 17, 2019 3:57 pm

I'd question why you're planning to buy a mixer that you suspect will be too limited for what you're going to put through it?

If you're genuinely going to need more than 16 ins, then get a mixer with more than 16 proper ins. Either a TM30, if you're wedded to TouchMix, or one of the many other options that will do more. For a little more money, you'll save yourself a world of frustration.
AlecSp
Regular

Postby Wonks » Sun Nov 17, 2019 4:17 pm

How many line and mic inputs? The stereo ins are line-only. If you very occasionally need more inputs, then I'd suggest getting a small analogue mixer to feed into a stereo pair.

Any more regular use and you are really better off getting a bigger mixer.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby Sam Spoons » Sun Nov 17, 2019 6:38 pm

Buy an X32 Rack and an SD8 for 24 mic inputs, 6 line inputs and 16 line outputs. Costs about £100 less than a TM16.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby sound space » Wed Nov 20, 2019 5:31 am

My apologies for not being clearer. I have an x32 compact so can cover bigger gigs,
and I have an x32 rack as back up for it. I bought the rack when I first got the x32 but have found the screen on it not useable enough for any live work, even as a back up. I realise it is not intended for this so thought the TM16 would be a better back up to the X32 and in fact would replace it for most gigs.

Thank you for your suggestions. I was hoping the TM16 might have a mono routing solution to the 2 stereo channels, but in this case I agree that a good support solution is to carry a small analogue desk (which I do anyway) to feed in to a stereo pair…
sound space

Postby Sam Spoons » Wed Nov 20, 2019 12:49 pm

I also have an X32 rig (Compact and Rack), my small mixer is a Mackie DL1608, if I need more than 16 inputs I'll take the Compact as I don't want to be mixing more without physical faders. I find the Rack works fine when used with an iPad or two but, as you have discovered, the onboard screen and controls are not so friendly and I would not try to mix a show using them. Mine gets used as a stage box and backup mixer. The only advantage I can see with the QSC over the Rack/iPad is convenience of everything on one box.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Dave B » Wed Nov 20, 2019 1:10 pm

my 2c ...

I'll defend the TM16 to my dying breath, but I'd still say that, like most gear, it only works for certain applications and if it doesn't fulfil the requirements, there's a lot of gear out there that will. The advantage that it has is that you can run a gig from the unit if your wifi is iffy. But that does mean that it has to be somewhere accessible (ideally in a good listening position), so I use mine with a couple of stage boxes. Simple, cheap and bullet proof. But not for everyone.

My backup is an XR18 which has almost the same number of inputs and can be a stagebox. It's a bit fiddly for my liking when it comes to setting up - but it's almost a 1/3 of the price of a TM16.

If I wanted more channels, I'm not 100% sure that I'd move to a TM30 ... I'm sure it's amazing, but part of me really likes the idea of the A+H QU series and digital snakes. More expensive, yes, but very cool...

:D
Dave B
Jedi Poster
Veni, Vidi, Aesculi (I came, I saw, I conkered)

Postby Sam Spoons » Wed Nov 20, 2019 2:51 pm

Digital snakes are brilliant (especially after countless early hours tear downs coiling a muddy 24/8 analogue snake). The Rack works as a stage box for the Compact via AES50/Cat6, the XR series don't unfortunately (unless they have fixed it with a fw upgrade). If WiFi is dodgy you can hard wire PC/Mac but none have a USB Host capability (which the Mackie DL series do) so you can't plug in an iPad/Tablet.

I have an XR12 and apart from the WiFi only being 2.4GHz it's a useful little box. Now if it worked as a stage box over AES50.......
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster