You are here

Laptop live? Never again.

For performing musicians and engineers: stagecraft, engineering and gear.

Re: Laptop live? Never again.

Postby n o i s e f l e ur » Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:20 am

BigRedX wrote:The biggest problem I see with most computer-based systems being used live is that there is too much assembly and disassembly involved every time.

^ This.

Particularly WRT MIDI devices on Windows not enumerating in the same order on every boot, and lots of duff hardware / drivers making it impossible to just sleep the machine.

Aside from that, my experience mirrors The Elf (though on possibly better hardware than PC World jobs).

Which is not to say I haven't had my fair share of issues using a laptop to gig, but in every case the problem turned out to be of a deterministic nature and could be solved or otherwise mitigated.

CS70 wrote:
It's been many moons now since Microsoft made money with Windows. They have long moved on and they keep making Windows because, well, it's good marketing I guess.

That's ahhh . . . crazy talk! Windows is a cash-cow for MSFT.

Closer to the truth to say it's no longer considered a growth centre for the business, but it's certainly still a profit making venture.

Wait . . . you meant to say MacOS right? ;)

[edited to be less confrontational, sorry CS]
n o i s e f l e ur
Regular

Postby Terrible.dee » Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:11 am

Good!

I'm sorry the set wasn't good for you, but this is better in the long run.

For however many other musicians tell you a laptop is fine and nobody cares..THEY CARE.

And so should YOU.

It's just weak to get on stage with a laptop. It's like getting on stage to sing and then being completely obvious about cuing up a backing track to lip sync too.

In this day and age, EVERYBODY has music software, and most have put together techno jams to see what happens. Invariably they go: "That was easy! Sounds as good as any of those other guys, so it's true you don't need any talent, just get some software and let the computer do it for you."

It brings down EVERYBODY.....learn how to use some hardware Joe-six pack couldn't figure out in 30 seconds and put some SKILLS on display when you take the stage.

And this goes for EVERYONE, I saw Kraftwork in....2012? And it was just three of them standing at a table, each with a laptop.

I watched for three or four songs and gave up. They were just playing their records and allowing us to pay to watch them hit play on Itunes.

I asked for my money back, and I got it.
Terrible.dee
Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:13 am

:lol:
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby blinddrew » Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:53 am

Other opinions are also available... ;)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Ramirez » Tue Feb 11, 2020 12:02 pm

:headbang: :crazy:
Ramirez
Frequent Poster
Bill Withers while Tom Waits, and Stan Getz

Previous