You are here

Opinions / advice on a single mic live set up

For performing musicians and engineers: stagecraft, engineering and gear.

Re: Opinions / advice on a single mic live set up

Postby Bob Bickerton » Sun Nov 24, 2019 2:03 am

My experience with the concept of a single mic being worked by a group of musicians is dodgy to say the least. First up for it to stand a chance the musicians need to be fully rehearsed, know the inverse square law inside out and be prepared to project.

The situation described doesn’t sound like that.

Yes, I’ve mixed a professional duo sharing an ear trumpet microphone, it was OK, but I could have given them better sound with a standard set-up - it’s a show pony!

Whilst a condenser would be my preference, the suggestion of an e835 would be worth a trial. They are fairly open and I quite like them (I used to have e840s). I like the Beyer dynamics, but the nice ones are hypercardioid.

Most importantly here is that the purchaser has a realistic view of what to expect - which is the proposal will be marginal at best.

Bob
Bob Bickerton
Frequent Poster (Level2)
http://www.bickerton.co.nz

Postby shufflebeat » Sun Nov 24, 2019 5:37 am

I've had this suggested by bluegrass style bands but there's never been an appropriate venue/situation to experiment which to me is a Good Thing.

I have no desire to rush into this for the sake of the spectacle but while we're on the subject - anyone care to speculate on the wisdom of using a boundary mic for this, possibly mounted on a board on a music stand?
shufflebeat
Jedi Poster
Apple Watch - the slowest of all the nature programmes.

Postby blinddrew » Mon Nov 25, 2019 6:26 pm

Thanks for all the comments and advice folks, had a chat with my friend over the weekend and laid out all the various pros and cons and she's gone away to have a think.
She's got a friend close by who has various bits of kit that will give her (and friend) the chance to have a play and a practice - I emphasized that for this kind of thing to work it was fundamental that the players understand the principles and how to work the mic.
Cheers
Drew
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby djangodeadman » Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:02 pm

I have once done the sound for a American bluegrass-y band who did this. It worked very well, but they really knew what they were doing. I can't for the life of me remember what mic they brought with them for the purpose, though. I'm pretty sure it was a condenser, though.
djangodeadman
Regular

Postby AlecSp » Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:58 pm

Yes, this is classic bluegrass territory. But, as has been said, relies on skilled musicians projecting and understanding the pick up pattern of the mic, along with a quiet attentive audience.

This is unlikely to be successful with a novice. It's a bit like the scenario where a speaker definitely wants a lapel mic rather than a headset mic, as it's more discrete. All that's no help when the limited GBF feedback makes the softly spoken speaker incapable of being audible in a large auditorium, regardless with how much the look is what they wanted to achieve.

But no reason why not to give it a try in a rehearsal situation, ideally with existing borrowed kit. You'll quickly find out if thre's mileage in the proposed technique, or if it's a complete disaster.
AlecSp
Regular

Previous