You are here

PA Setup Car Showroom

For performing musicians and engineers: stagecraft, engineering and gear.

PA Setup Car Showroom

Postby ZEDS » Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:53 pm

Hi Guys,

Just wondering if anyone can offer some advice. My band are due to play a car dealer ship show room which is essentially a large building with an metal roof and windows everywhere else. The Floor is completely tiled and there is very little furniture or similar to soak up the sound. Its clearly going to be very echoey (if thats a word). We plan to put out a load of Carpet on the floor underneath us but is there anything else we can do to prevent a massive amount of reverberation?

Thanks
ZEDS

Re: PA Setup Car Showroom

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:56 pm

Fill the place with a HUGE audience! :D

But in reality... no... just keep the volume down because loud will make it all worse!
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby MarkPAman » Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:12 pm

Try to set up so you're not firing directly at the opposite wall/window. But if corners are 90º avoid setting up at 45º too.
Get (top) speakers high, and angled down to where the audience are.
Angle backline up at your own ears and keep the volume as low as is practical.

If this is a corporate, there may be cash for hanging backdrops/starcloths etc in useful positions.

* And then, if it's the Ferrari Dealership Christmas Party I did a couple of years ago - make sure they're not also running catering equipment on the same ring main, dress smartly, & enjoy being offered food & drink every 5 minutes!
MarkPAman
Frequent Poster

Postby Mike Monte » Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:32 pm

Car dearlerships (at least the ones around here) have steel roofs with glass all around.
The room will have "built-in" effects so you may be best to ditch the 'verb.

How about setting up in the corner of the room (with your PA/amps facing the far corner).......
or maybe you could even try just using one side of your PA (angled in a bit) to cut down on reflective sound.

10+ years ago I provided the PA system for a bigband in a room similar to your situation.
I got the PA up and running and, while checking the GOD mic (which is the first one I always check) the leader of the band came up to me and told me that I had way-too-much reverb in the mix.... (I had zero in the mix....).
That was a long night....
Mike Monte
Poster

Postby Eddy Deegan » Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:33 pm

MarkPAman wrote:And then, if it's the Ferrari Dealership Christmas Party ... dress smartly, & enjoy being offered food & drink every 5 minutes!

Great point on making sure to be aware of the dress code. A duo I was in did a few events for the Allard Owners Club back in the 90s. I had to borrow clothes from a friend because I didn't own anything "smart enough". I still don't ;)
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Please consider supporting the SOS Forum Album project, helping charities via music created by forum members.

Postby John Egan » Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:58 pm

Way back in the mid 60s, one of our semi regular venues was Buxton Pavilion - all glass, including the roof. We used to support the headline acts. It was interesting to see the various ways they all coped (we had learned from bitter experience that quieter was better - even with a large audience). The Animals coped best (at very low volumes) and were terrific, but the Pretty Things got the best crowd reaction I have ever seen and they just blasted the place at full volume. Just goes to show you don't always know how an audience will react.
Regards, John
John Egan
Regular

Postby Wonks » Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:18 pm

Arrange the salesmen in their thick sheepskin coats along the back of the room for best sound absorption.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby John Egan » Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:03 pm

Wonks wrote:Arrange the salesmen in their thick sheepskin coats along the back of the room for best sound absorption.

Or use them as baa...baa....backing vocalists. (Sorry!).
Regards, John
John Egan
Regular

Postby ZEDS » Tue Dec 03, 2019 3:19 pm

Thanks for the responses guys. I have a basic layout of the building and we have 3 options to set up. What are you thoughts? See link below:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1WlOKrPxO_8ToM9Gz4AuPF-I_BA2xvERf/view?usp=sharing
ZEDS

Postby MarkPAman » Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:43 pm

My guess from that, is that 2 would be best, followed by 3, assuming that the offices and wall behind them are at least a little less acoustically reflective than the glass.

Option 2 also has the advantage that your audience will be mostly in front of you, and you don't need to worry about sound at the sides. If you have, or can get hold of, a reasonably heavy backdrop (and stands for it?) to block the windows behind you, that'll help a lot, both acoustically & visually.
MarkPAman
Frequent Poster

Postby AlecSp » Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:49 pm

Out of interest, what's the status/budget of this event?

Looking at your plan, don't forget the visual impact. If you were in the middle of the room, with cars behind you, that would be a fantastic look, assuming they want the cars to be the real stars of the show. And it may be that the compromise to the acoustic might be worth biting.

And, in fact, it might not be so bad. Assuming a decent audience, FOH raised up and tilted down to the punters may have limited reflections from the rear - it's all about exiting the bits you want to (the punters) and not the bits you don't want to (the glass walls & metal roof). As others mentioned, heavy (fire-safe, and rigged safely) drapes to the rear could help - again, what's the budget?

Facing down from the top, I'd be worried about the big empty, reflective cavern at the bottom, with shiny cars, rather than soft punters, and what impact that would have.

While you've described the structure of the place, what does it *actually* sound like? It's probably pretty rotton. But why not negotiate taking in a speaker, maybe after hours, for 20 mins and playing representative material through it from proposed positions. It'll be much worse than when punters are in, but it'll give you and idea of what to expect, and may guide your plans.

But do remember that your purpose there is, above everything, to please the client. So don't discount the visuals, even if it might compromised the audio. "Normal" people tend to remember a stunning look more than they remember production quality - sadly.
AlecSp
Regular