You are here

Van Morrison Brighton Dome December 03 2019

For performing musicians and engineers: stagecraft, engineering and gear.

Van Morrison Brighton Dome December 03 2019

Postby fenix_cloud » Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:16 am

Hi everyone.

Long time reader of the magazine and forums and finally curious enough to make my first post.

Was anyone else at this gig tonight? What did you think of the sound?

Thanks,

Dan
fenix_cloud
New here

Re: Van Morrison Brighton Dome December 03 2019

Postby Wonks » Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:50 am

No, but what did you think of the sound? It was obviously either excellent or absolutely awful or you wouldn't have posted. :D

And welcome, BTW.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby fenix_cloud » Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:11 am

Thanks for the welcome :thumbup:

I didn't want to make my first post a criticism but I thought the sound was awful. It was muddy, lacking clarity and I could hardly make out a word he sang.

I'm curious as to other peoples views though, as I've attended previous gigs at the Dome and found similiar problems in the past. I was willing to give it one more try in order to see VM, but I'm coming to the conclusion that it is an inherent drawback of the venue.

It's a shame, as for me it spoiled the show and detracted from some great performances. To be clear, I don't think the issue was the mix on the night, rather the poor acoustics of the venue. Is it just me, or does anyone else have that experience at Brighton Dome?
fenix_cloud
New here

Postby Eddy Deegan » Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:04 pm

fenix_cloud wrote:I didn't want to make my first post a criticism but I thought the sound was awful. It was muddy, lacking clarity and I could hardly make out a word he sang.

I'm curious as to other peoples views though, as I've attended previous gigs at the Dome and found similiar problems in the past. I was willing to give it one more try in order to see VM, but I'm coming to the conclusion that it is an inherent drawback of the venue.

It's a shame, as for me it spoiled the show and detracted from some great performances. To be clear, I don't think the issue was the mix on the night, rather the poor acoustics of the venue. Is it just me, or does anyone else have that experience at Brighton Dome?

I don't go to that many gigs and bad live audio is a pet peeve of mine, but I have seen a couple at the Dome, one recently (Steve Hackett last month) and one a long time ago (Orbital) and fortunately both those experiences were fine.

At the most recent in particular, I thought the sound was exemplary. Lots of vocals in the performance and I had no problem hearing the lyrics at all even in the bits with lots of instruments playing at the same time. It is a slightly more 'intimate' venue than some. I wonder if some bands/FOH engineers don't adapt their setup to cater for the fact that it is a smaller venue with acoustics that differ from larger places.

What was the overall volume like? The Dome is a venue that suits a quieter mix.

Welcome to the forum :thumbup:
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Please consider supporting the SOS Forum Album project, helping charities via music created by forum members.

Postby Wonks » Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:27 pm

There is also the question of whereabouts you were sitting within the dome. There are always going to be bad seats where the rooms acoustics and standing waves mean that you are destined to get bad sound, regardless of how good the PA and the mixer are.

Sometimes, even moving just two seats along can bring big benefits in the mix, but unless there's a bunch of you and your friends in a row, you'll never get the chance to move around and find out.

The best place for sound will invariably be seats near the FOH mixing desk.
Wonks
Jedi Poster

Postby zenguitar » Wed Dec 04, 2019 1:03 pm

With Van Morrison the sound is always a secondary concern. The principal issue is whether the band can persuade Van to come on stage to sing and play for more than half the set. Having local crewed Van Morrison 3 times in the 90’s it was fortunate that Georgie Fame was playing Hammond in the band.

On one occasion, whilst waiting with the lampy for the stage to be cleared, the two of us drank the unopened bottle of red wine in the wings.

Andy :beamup:
zenguitar
When you see a fork in the road, take it.
Yogi Berra

Postby fenix_cloud » Wed Dec 04, 2019 2:18 pm

Hi Eddy,

Thanks for the reply. It's interesting that you found the sound exemplary at Steve Hackett, maybe I've just been unlucky? The volume levels last night were fine, I don't think it was too loud, just lacking definition.

Wonks - The seats were Centre Stalls in the middle of the row, so I would have thought close to an optimum position, but of course you're right that's a big variable. Sadly there was no chance to listen from another position and make a comparison.

Andy - True enough! I should be grateful he actually made it onstage and got through the whole set without walking off. I suppose that qualifies as him being in an excellent mood!

Thanks everyone :thumbup:
fenix_cloud
New here

Postby Wonks » Wed Dec 04, 2019 2:57 pm

The centre isn't often the greatest place to listen from as you are getting all the comb filtering from the two main sets of L+R speakers. if you are quite close, the treble coverage area of the horns is also falling off and you are reliant on the centre fills on the front of the stage to boost the coverage.

Of course you get the best views, but off to one side is generally better for sound. No guarantees though, as every venue is different.
Wonks
Jedi Poster

Postby fenix_cloud » Wed Dec 04, 2019 3:57 pm

Thanks Wonks, I didn't realise that! Maybe I'll persevere with the venue and next time try to sit off to one side.

Thanks for your time everyone.

Dan
fenix_cloud
New here

Postby Eddy Deegan » Wed Dec 04, 2019 4:25 pm

Wonks wrote:The centre isn't often the greatest place to listen from as you are getting all the comb filtering from the two main sets of L+R speakers. if you are quite close, the treble coverage area of the horns is also falling off and you are reliant on the centre fills on the front of the stage to boost the coverage.

Of course you get the best views, but off to one side is generally better for sound. No guarantees though, as every venue is different.

For the Hackett gig we were about 25% off-centre, which may have helped. After the performance there was an audience-wide standing ovation so I doubt I was alone in my enjoyment of the music!
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Please consider supporting the SOS Forum Album project, helping charities via music created by forum members.

Postby fenix_cloud » Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:28 pm

Now that I think about it, my previous poor experience was also when sitting in the centre.

But I recall much better sound at an Elvis Costello show, and for that we were sitting house left.

Not conclusive, but I now know what to do for my next visit!
fenix_cloud
New here

Postby Wonks » Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:30 pm

Next time, simply buy a row of seats and sit in each one to find the best listening position. :D
Wonks
Jedi Poster