You are here

Recording out of a portable speaker

For performing musicians and engineers: stagecraft, engineering and gear.

Recording out of a portable speaker

Postby Guest » Thu Dec 12, 2019 12:15 am

Hi everyone
I have a Ravie pow10 PA battery powered speaker which has an Aux in and 2 mic in channels and a digital media player with SD and USB plugs. But those are all for inputs. What I would like to do somehow is make an output channel out of this speaker so I can record from it

Originally I was proposing to run my mixer off an inventor and a 12 volt battery so i could use one of the mixers out channels to record from it. But that no longer looks to be practical so I have "aux in" from my mp3 player and "mic in" from my microphone as the 2 input channels. But is there a way of an out channel from this speaker apart from the cone its self?

Re: Recording out of a portable speaker

Postby ef37a » Thu Dec 12, 2019 8:58 am

The only way to get direct recording is to open up the speaker, if you are prepared to do that you then need a 'DI box'.

This needs to be a specific type that has attenuated inputs suitable for connection to power amplifiers. Behringer make one, I shall find the model shortly. There are probably more expensive versions that give better quality, whether you will hear a difference is debatable.

The input to the DI will be 1/4" jack and you will need a jack to 'croc-clips' cable to effect connection to the speaker. I see there is a piezo tweeter in the box but they usually are just fed from a resistor, unlikely that there is some complex crossover network in there. The output is on XLR designed to feed the microphone input of an audio interface.

The task will beed some skill with tools such as a solder iron and screwdrivers. Up to that?

N.B. I would not suggest tearing into an active speaker if it were mains powered unless the person was experienced wih such work.

https://www.thomann.de/gb/behringer_di100_ultra_di.htm
^All I can find atmo. I was sure they did a passive DI with attenuator? I shall look elsewhere. That will do the job but maybe a bit expensive?
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Injection-Unba ... NrPXRydWU=

Lots on Amazon. I suggest a passive DI because they tend to be cheaper and there is no phantom power or battery faff. K.I.S.Sir is my motto!

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Thu Dec 12, 2019 11:50 am

Not sure why you have written off running your mixer from a battery (will return to the other thread in a mo) but I would take it a stage further than Dave and say, for all practical purposes, it can't be done*.

* At least not without considerable more intervention than simply running your mixer of a power pack.

edit, I've just looked back at the other thread and notice you speaker is a Raive pow10 PA which will run for up to 3 hours on it's internal battery. A 7AH SLA battery and cheap 150 watt inverter should run your mixer for significantly longer than that.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby AlecSp » Thu Dec 12, 2019 2:05 pm

tonyztigger wrote:What I would like to do somehow is make an output channel out of this speaker so I can record from it

But is there a way of an out channel from this speaker apart from the cone its self?
Simple answer, no. The speaker has only inputs, and no outputs (other than the speaker's acoustic output, obviously)

And, BTW, how big is the cone size on that speaker? ;) </twitch>
AlecSp
Regular

Postby Wonks » Thu Dec 12, 2019 2:28 pm

10".
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby Guest » Thu Dec 12, 2019 3:56 pm

Sam Spoons wrote:edit, I've just looked back at the other thread and notice you speaker is a Raive pow10 PA which will run for up to 3 hours on it's internal battery. A 7AH SLA battery and cheap 150 watt inverter should run your mixer for significantly longer than that.
I do remember you posting a link to a 12V 7amp battery somewhere. Was it Screwfix
So you think that battery would do the job?

Postby Sam Spoons » Thu Dec 12, 2019 4:16 pm

Yes it was Screwfix, the similar one in my modded Valve Junior runs it for 2.5 hours via a 300 watt inverter. There is sometimes a little low level buzz but it's liveable with. The VJ is a very simple, 5 watt all valve guitar combo and it draws about 0.14A from the mains. My Berry XR12 mixer draws .09A so that should run it for around 4 hours.

Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby CS70 » Fri Dec 13, 2019 11:13 pm

What kind of sound would you be recording. A keyboard? Voice?
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby DGL. » Sat Dec 14, 2019 11:11 am

ef37a wrote:
I was sure they did a passive DI with attenuator?
Dave.

https://www.thomann.de/gb/behringer_ultradi_di600p.htm
DGL.
Frequent Poster