You are here

bass bin advice

For performing musicians and engineers: stagecraft, engineering and gear.

bass bin advice

Postby Dave71 » Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:44 am

Morning all

My band is taking a slight change in direction due to our singer emigrating (apparently more money, sun and quality of life comes before the band ???)

With that, we're going back to basics for a bit and looking to use our own PA for the smaller events. Our usual PA guy has a very tasty KV2 rig but its just far to big for some of our smaller gigs so were looking at adding a sub or two to our own gear for said gigs.

We run everything through the PA (electric kit, keys, bass, guitars & vox) so are looking for quality bin that will suffice for some of our usual gigs/venues. We're a regular party/function band so no heavy drum and bass.

My thoughts are to go for 1 higher powered unit, placed as best as we can (been reading various threads regarding bin placement) rather than 2 lesser models sat under our top cabs

Have been looking at the following as we already have QSC and RCF tops between us
QSC KS212 (2 x 12")
RCF 905 (1 x 15")
RCF 8003 (1 x 18")

Ultimately my questions are, 1 or 2 bins? & 2x12" or 15" or 18". Vehicle space isn't a problem, and the heavier 8003 is an easy lift for me.

Thanks...
Dave71
Regular

Re: bass bin advice

Postby Music Wolf » Thu Dec 12, 2019 10:19 am

Dave71 wrote:and the heavier 8003 is an easy lift for me.

Weight: 45kg / 99.21lbs

Warrington Wolves RL are looking to recruit another big, hard hitting prop, for this season if you're interested.

I'm sure that the more experienced live sound guys will be along soon enough but my view would be a big, single, sub rather than two smaller ones. Both of the bigger ones listed look very capable for what you describe - which tops are you more likely to be using, QSC or RCF? I'd just be inclined to go for the 'matching' sub if for no other reason than it may be easier to sell a matched set in the future.
Music Wolf
Frequent Poster

Postby Dave71 » Thu Dec 12, 2019 10:42 am

Music Wolf wrote:
Dave71 wrote:and the heavier 8003 is an easy lift for me.

Weight: 45kg / 99.21lbs

Warrington Wolves RL are looking to recruit another big, hard hitting prop, for this season if you're interested.

Maybe I should rephrase....relatively ;)
Dave71
Regular

Postby Sam Spoons » Thu Dec 12, 2019 11:44 am

I would echo what the Wolf says, a 'matching' sub is easier to get working well as it's LPF will have been designed to complement the ones in the tops. And, as he says, it will sell on more easily later should the time come.

Much modern powered gear has the crossover split between the sub and tops that he LPF in the sub and the HPF in the top cab so it's important that the LPF and HPF have the same, complementary, characteristics or you will get a 'hole' or 'hump' in the full rig's frequency response around the X-over frequency. FWIW I use an old school EV sub with QSC K12s but the sub has a crossover built in with HPF outputs for the tops so the mismatch issue doesn't arise (but when using the X-over in the sub it's important to leave the tops switched to full range).
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Dave71 » Thu Dec 12, 2019 12:06 pm

Thanks Sam.

I have a pair of RCF 422's, (looking to upgrade these too at some point) hence was looking at RCF. Our drummer uses a pair of K12's for his monitoring and our guitarist has a pair of K12.2s for his duo stuff, hence they were looking at the QSC. I see some QSC bins don't have xovers and they have settings in the tops, which my RCF's don't so defo no mix and match, unless we introduce a speaker management unit and tune accordingly

I'm far more likely to use the rig for other odd and ends so am more inclined to get the 905 or 8003 myself. Being "just" the bass player, I seem to bring the least to the party evertyime - guitar, lead & small amp where as the guitarist and drummer have to bring/setup quite a bit in comparison.

I'm not convinced a 2 x 12 will have enough depth in the bottom end but am happy to be proven wrong. Would definitely prefer to have headroom.
Dave71
Regular

Postby Sam Spoons » Thu Dec 12, 2019 12:13 pm

:thumbup:
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby DanR » Thu Dec 12, 2019 4:01 pm

I have two RCF 905s for my function band. With the HD12a tops it’s an awesome rig for all our gigs, small to large.
I did look at a QSC system but a pair of very little used 905s came up for sale for a good price.
Also the 30kg weight of the 905 was a major factor as I need to get it in the motor by myself.
I don’t lift it as I use a trolley and ramp.

The QSC 2x12 K Sub also has a fairly narrow footprint and thought could be an issue when supporting a top on slanting or uneven ground.
I have a couple of lengths of wood that have proven to be very useful on several occasions to level up the sub/top.

With the built in crossover on RCF subs, they can be used with any top speaker (best with RCF though).
With QSC, unless you add an external crossover/speaker management unit, you have to use
same brand speakers or similar, like the Yamaha DXR series.
DanR
Regular

Postby DanR » Thu Dec 12, 2019 6:00 pm

Deleted
DanR
Regular

Postby Dave71 » Sat Dec 14, 2019 11:37 am

Well........took the sleigh out last night and picked up an early xmas present. s/h Rcf 8003 so will see how that goes. Will drag it to work over the Xmas holiday to make some noise and do some eq’ing. Only paid £650 for it so can always sell on easily enough.
Dave71
Regular

Postby Sam Spoons » Sat Dec 14, 2019 11:48 am

:thumbup:
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster