You are here

What equipment is required for high quality live sound with Mic + Keyboard?

For performing musicians and engineers: stagecraft, engineering and gear.

Re: What equipment is required for high quality live sound with Mic + Keyboard?

Postby Sam Spoons » Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:15 am

ef37a wrote:
Deyarn wrote:Would be it fine if I get an audio interface with 2 XLR inputs, get a DI box, plug a keyboard into the DI then the DI into the XLR input? And have my microphone plugged into the other XLR input?

Would that work?

Yes but you don't need the DI box. Mic in ch1 and left(mono) keyboard in right line input.

But I fear you will find such a simple setup limiting, much depends upon the recording software *you intend to use and how you want to present the recordings.

*Called a Digital Audio Workstation. Examples of DAWs are, Cubase, Reaper and simplest of all perhaps, Audacity which is also free.

Dave.

#Deyarn? Do you plan to record your live podcasts or only only stream live? If the latter some kind of live streaming software would probably be better than a conventional DAW (I know nothing about such but suspect it would allow you to record anyway).

I echo Dave's suggestion that a two input audio interface will become limiting fairly quickly, you'll probably want to record/stream the piano in stereo at some point and maybe even have another singer or instrument. An AI with 4 inputs will be much more future proof and still fall well within your budget.

Also consider the room you will be performing in, if it is an ordinary domestic space anything picked up by the mic will sound very amateurish* and some kind of acoustic treatment will be necessary if you hope to produce professional sounding results.

* singing/talking very close (around 1-2" away) to the mic will help reduce the amount of 'room sound' getting into the mic.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby ef37a » Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:32 am

blinddrew wrote:It is a very nice tool but has no line inputs. Perhaps a zoom livetrack L8 instead?

Did not realize the Rode had no line inputs. Right then! OP's idea of a DI box is valid.

I do think Rode have missed a trick there though? I mean EVERYBODY fits Combo XLRs these days!

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby MarkPAman » Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:26 pm

I guess the phone socket is technically a line in (and out).
MarkPAman
Frequent Poster

Postby blinddrew » Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:18 pm

True, but I'm not sure what the specs are.
I'd definitely look at the Zoom L8 as an alternative for this use case.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Deyarn » Wed Jan 22, 2020 1:39 am

For now, live sound. Perhaps in the future I could do some recordings, unsure at this point.

I'm interested in the Focusrite Scarlett 4i4 (Gen 3) 4-in/4-out USB Audio Interface and I think it may be suitable for me at this point, thoughts?

If I end up wanting to do recordings, what would I need in addition to this AI? Or do I need a totally different setup?
Deyarn
New here

Postby Funkyflash5 » Wed Jan 22, 2020 2:34 am

The 4i4 should do the trick for both live streaming and recording. I think the only other major question is how will you be hearing yourself? Headphones? Monitors?
Funkyflash5
Regular

Postby ef37a » Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:18 am

Yes, the 4i4 will give you two line inputs for the keys and two mic inputs. After that just cables and a mic stand/table bracket? Another $100 or so.

But, I am wondering why my suggestion of the Rodecaster was not taken up? Only just over half your budget and absolutely the right tool for the job. The lack of line inputs is a bit of a pain but a pair of passive DIs will fix that and add only $50 or so to the total.

It is very common in this recording game for new people to baulk at the cost of the 'right' gear and they try to get by with lesser kit. That F'rite AI is excellent for its purpose but IMHO the Rode is better for yours.

I urge you to read that review carefully and seek other podders opinions before splashing out.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby blinddrew » Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:50 am

The Rodecaster is a great bit of kit to be sure, personally I think the L8 would be a better fit for this particular application - but either of them are more than double the price of a 4i4.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:28 am

But the OP has a budget of up to $1000 so even the Rodecaster is little more than half that.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby blinddrew » Wed Jan 22, 2020 4:27 pm

but think of the room treatment you could buy! :D

(True Sam and Dave, I'd forgotten that. Still think that if I was using an instrument I'd be looking at the L8 though. The Rodecaster does it's trick very well, but it is designed for that single trick).
blinddrew
Jedi Poster

Previous