You are here

MIDI research

For performing musicians and engineers: stagecraft, engineering and gear.

MIDI research

Postby Kyle.Hird » Tue Feb 04, 2020 4:28 pm

Hi all,

I'm doing research on the life cycle of MIDI devices and would be grateful if anyone here could share 3 minutes of their time to fill my dissertation survey. I thought this forum might be a relevant place to ask. Thanks in advance!

Link: https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/JPFKXS3
Kyle.Hird

Re: MIDI research

Postby BJG145 » Tue Feb 04, 2020 4:39 pm

Kyle.Hird wrote:I'm doing research on the life cycle of MIDI devices

It's very simple...they're born, become entangled, have sysex, then they die.
BJG145
Jedi Poster

Postby Dave B » Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:51 am

Kyle, I'm struggling here.

'midi devices' is a very nebulous term and can mean almost anything. If something only has usb-midi is it still a midi device? What about synths without midi, but with cv/gate? Do they count?

If we are talking synths, etc, then over the years, I've had (literally) hundreds of such items - I can't quantify exactly how I've disposed of each without a major exercise. And I don't think that that would actually help you much.

Or are we talking about pure midi controllers? I've had a fair few of those too.

I suspect that some number ranges may help here rather than 'please give me a number of xxx'
Dave B
Jedi Poster
Veni, Vidi, Aesculi (I came, I saw, I conkered)

Postby The Elf » Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:15 am

I have to admit that I gave up. There's no way I can recall any numbers that would make any meaningful research material. Like Dave I'm into hundreds, and the range of devices is so very broad.

When I found myself doing the maths in order to make sure my figures matched up with previous answers I realised it was an impossible task. I'd rather opt out than add meaningless data. :frown:
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Eddy Deegan » Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:26 am

The Elf wrote:I have to admit that I gave up. There's no way I can recall any numbers that would make any meaningful research material. Like Dave I'm into hundreds, and the range of devices is so very broad.

When I found myself doing the maths in order to make sure my figures matched up with previous answers I realised it was an impossible task. I'd rather opt out than add meaningless data. :frown:

Same here. Although I have undoubtedly owned less MIDI kit in total than The Elf or Dave B, it's in the region of 3 figures over 30+ years and there is no way I can meaningfully answer that survey, sorry!
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Some of my works.
Please consider supporting the SOS Forum Album project.

Postby Sam Spoons » Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:51 am

I'm not even a keyboard player and have owned and moved on more midi kit than I care to remember. It'd still be a effort to list what I have now but it's probably in double figures ignoring the redundant and broken kit.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby James Perrett » Wed Feb 05, 2020 5:16 pm

I took it to mean MIDI controllers and, as I'm not a massive MIDI user, I'm still on my second (or maybe third) controller in the studio in 30 years and I can remember what happened to most of the others. However, if the OP wants MIDI power users to respond then they may want to make the questions a bit more specific.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby Eddy Deegan » Wed Feb 05, 2020 5:31 pm

The summary on the survey itself is a bit vague:

The aim of this survey is to gain an understanding of the life-cycle of MIDI hardware devices such as keys, pads, control surfaces, ...

I don't think it's a bad idea to look into the life-cycle of equipment, though I'm not sure why MIDI stuff in particular is any different in that respect to DVD players, hi-fi separates, audio interfaces and so on. They are all long lived (ideally) and much of the internal technology overlaps at the component level.

The difference between a MIDI device and a non-MIDI device could in theory be as small as a connector costing pennies and a tiny bit of firmware. As such, from an environmental perspective the two would be pretty much identical.

BTW, I think question 9 is meaningless. There are no possible useful responses (posed as options or not) to it as far as I can tell because the term 'MIDI devices' covers everything from small boxes costing hardly anything to things that cost more than a decent car.

MIDI is a protocol used by a gigantic range of hardware, you can't usefully simplify it to the extent that the survey requires.
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Some of my works.
Please consider supporting the SOS Forum Album project.

Postby desmond » Wed Feb 05, 2020 5:54 pm

I had the exact same experiences as above and also gave up on it... sorry.
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Postby blinddrew » Wed Feb 05, 2020 6:36 pm

Having only owned a total of 8 midi devices in my life I found the survey pretty easy to complete, but I'm not sure that I'm really adding much to the sum of knowledge and can totally understand why most of our forumites have responded as they have.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Kyle.Hird » Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:57 am

Thank you all for your replies here, they're very useful for my understanding of errors in responses. From the feedback, I realise a better term to use would have been hardware MIDI controllers.
Kyle.Hird