You are here

In Ear Monitors causing me to sing out of tune

For performing musicians and engineers: stagecraft, engineering and gear.

Re: In Ear Monitors causing me to sing out of tune

Postby shufflebeat » Sat Feb 22, 2020 1:47 am

...anybody got any crisps? There's no cereal left.
shufflebeat
Jedi Poster
"Dancing Queen - feel the heat from the tangerine, ooh yeah!"

Do yourself a favour, wear earplugs at gigs.

Postby Music Wolf » Thu Feb 27, 2020 10:40 am

By way of update...........

I've seen a huge improvement but probably due to a combination of factors.

A cold. There was a definite dip in IEM performance caused by me having a cold. As soon as my sinuses cleared pitching ability was restored. The cold didn’t seem to affect my ability to pitch without headphones or IEMs.

Practice and technique. I haven’t timed it but I must have been spending at least 30 minutes per day on vocal exercises over a two week period and, who would have thought it, practice improves performance.

Level and reverb. Initially killing the reverb and dropping the vocal level helped but, the more I practiced, the less important this has become. I will continue to optimise.

I still pitch better without headphones or IEMs but the gap is narrowing. I’ll never be a vocalist but at least my BVs should be ok.
Music Wolf
Frequent Poster

Postby MOF » Tue Mar 10, 2020 7:13 pm

TC Helicon do a pedal called the voice correct.
As well as compression/eq it has a gentle autotune that you can send to the IEM in conjunction with the unprocessed signal, while the unprocessed signal just goes to the main.

Gives a way of hearing where you should be without exposing everyone to the autotune

I found it very useful for practicing with as it gave me immediate feedback on where I was out, and helped me get better quicker.

I've also found a very useful quick PA fix 'make the vocals better' box for quite a few singers.

Your mileage may vary of course.

Unless you're out of tune by a little too much. I'm thinking that this is what happened when Madonna sang at the last Eurovision Song Contest. On reflection she didn't seem to be out of tune, she just hit the wrong note consistently on one particular phrase. I'm now thinking that she was out of tune a bit too low and the autotune went down to the next note instead of up. Just my take on it, I might be wrong.
MOF
Frequent Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:14 pm

As long as you can sing in tune (and occlusion notwithstanding) surely it's better to hear only your true voice? I certainly find it that way, no reverb either in the monitors. But I don't use IEMs when singing for various reasons.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Music Wolf » Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:36 pm

MOF wrote:
. I'm now thinking that she was out of tune a bit too low and the autotune went down to the next note instead of up. Just my take on it, I might be wrong.

That’s not far off how I identified the problem. I was using a TC VoiceLive 2 processor which adds harmonies (it also has a pitch correct feature). On the lower notes I was going so flat that it was correcting to the lower note.

I’ve been doing my vocal exercises each day (I’m on day 25). I record the results and do a quick visual check using Cubase’s vari pitch. Just singing to a piano with no artificial monitoring I’m pretty much spot on within my, limited, range. Open backed headphones are almost, but not quite, as in tune. Closed backed (both ears) and I’m drifting on the lower notes (1 ear and I’m fine). ACS custom moulds and I’m flat at the lower end. KZ AS10s earbuds - way off.

I’m thinking of digging out the old Behringer 205D and tryIng that in the band.
Music Wolf
Frequent Poster

Previous