You are here

Wired in ear monitor setup question

For performing musicians and engineers: stagecraft, engineering and gear.

Re: Wired in ear monitor setup question

Postby Sam Spoons » Mon Feb 24, 2020 1:35 pm

For the avoidance of future confusion, as Dave says TRS connectors are referred to as other 'stereo' or 'balanced, and while, as Dave also says, you don't really need to know it's probably worth adding that it is the devices that make the signal 'stereo' or 'balanced and connecting one to the other will not work, even though the connectors may be the same.

As you were :thumbup:
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Sam Spoons » Mon Feb 24, 2020 1:37 pm

Emma Music wrote:
Sam Spoons wrote:Do you use backing tracks? If not, and as the Streetcube is your only PA (so you won't be playing particularly loud or to big audiences), what benefit do you feel you'll get from using IEMs?

We do use backing tracks along with vocals and guitars, and when we play outdoors to crowds with our Street Cube turned right up, we struggle to hear ourselves.

Our other hope was that we’d be able to take the iem systems with us when we play at festivals. In the past we’ve struggled with the sound setup from the foldback wedges the sound crews provide - 99% of the time, we can’t hear properly and our performance suffers.

We have soft tone voices, so maybe that’s why we have so much trouble.

Just a thought, if the Streetcube is your only PA then, surely, if you can't hear your own voices then the audience won't be able to hear them either?

I do get the idea of being self contained at festivals though.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Dan LB » Mon Feb 24, 2020 3:10 pm

Emma Music wrote:
Dan LB wrote:
forumuser908065 wrote:For example, your P2 takes a mono XLR but drives both your left and right ears. So mono through both ears. I'm not aware of any similar product that does real stereo.

The P2 can indeed take a mono balanced XLR or TRS feed and drive both ears with a mono signal......

BUT it can also take an unbalanced stereo feed on XLR or TRS and drive the IEMs with true stereo.

So exactly what kind of cables would I need to plug 2 Behringer P2 systems into my Roland amp to hear both systems in true stereo? Could you link to them, I get a bit confused with the names! (It’s confusing how there’s ‘TRS’ and ‘TS’, ‘balanced’ and ‘unbalanced’ and such.)

In my opinion the simplest solution right now for you would be to use a simple headphone splitter fed from the 'phones output on the Street Cube. Feed each side of the split to a Behringer PM1 and adjust your own volumes on the Behringer units.

https://www.thomann.de/ie/behringer_powerplay_pm1.htm

The PM1 is a passive unit so doesn't require batteries and can only attenuate the Roland's headphone feed but it should provide you with what you want.

If you're looking to have tailored individual mixes then you're looking at different equipment altogether.

Cables required

Something like this to split the 'phones feed:
https://www.thomann.de/ie/cordial_cfy_03_vkk.htm

Then two TRS to XLR cables to plug from the splitter into the Behringer PM1s like this:
https://www.thomann.de/ie/cordial_cfm_3 ... _kabel.htm

Play around with settings but be careful and protect your hearing - don't make big adjustments while you have your IEMs in your ears!!

HTH

Dan
Dan LB
Frequent Poster

Postby Wonks » Mon Feb 24, 2020 7:40 pm

Dan LB wrote:In my opinion the simplest solution right now for you would be to use a simple headphone splitter fed from the 'phones output on the Street Cube. Feed each side of the split to a Behringer PM1 and adjust your own volumes on the Behringer units.

Except that, like a lot of headphone outputs, using the headphone output cuts off the sound from the internal speakers. No PA! :headbang:
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby Dan LB » Mon Feb 24, 2020 8:54 pm

Wonks wrote:
Dan LB wrote:In my opinion the simplest solution right now for you would be to use a simple headphone splitter fed from the 'phones output on the Street Cube. Feed each side of the split to a Behringer PM1 and adjust your own volumes on the Behringer units.

Except that, like a lot of headphone outputs, using the headphone output cuts off the sound from the internal speakers. No PA! :headbang:

Err..... yes of course! Bugger! :headbang:

Nothing a quick mod to the 'phones jack couldn't sort out I'd imagine though perhaps
Dan LB
Frequent Poster

Postby Wonks » Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:24 pm

You'd probably be better off adding a second standard TRS headphone socket in parallel, so that you could still use the sound cut-off facility if you ever wanted to.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby Emma Music » Tue Feb 25, 2020 12:24 am

Sam Spoons wrote:
Emma Music wrote:
Sam Spoons wrote:Do you use backing tracks? If not, and as the Streetcube is your only PA (so you won't be playing particularly loud or to big audiences), what benefit do you feel you'll get from using IEMs?

We do use backing tracks along with vocals and guitars, and when we play outdoors to crowds with our Street Cube turned right up, we struggle to hear ourselves.

Our other hope was that we’d be able to take the iem systems with us when we play at festivals. In the past we’ve struggled with the sound setup from the foldback wedges the sound crews provide - 99% of the time, we can’t hear properly and our performance suffers.

We have soft tone voices, so maybe that’s why we have so much trouble.

Just a thought, if the Streetcube is your only PA then, surely, if you can't hear your own voices then the audience won't be able to hear them either?

I do get the idea of being self contained at festivals though.

It sounds crazy, I know! The cube is positioned in front of us to avoid mic feedback and such, and although we can hear what the amp is putting out, it’s not the level of clarity we need to feel comfortable.
Our airy style of singing requires clear hearing as we are not belters.
(Plus, we hope to upgrade our PA in the future.)

Another question:
If we were to take the Behringer P2 systems to festivals, what kind of cable would be needed to plug into the standard setup of a sound crew?
Emma Music
Poster

Postby shufflebeat » Tue Feb 25, 2020 2:06 am

Emma Music wrote:Another question:
If we were to take the Behringer P2 systems to festivals, what kind of cable would be needed to plug into the standard setup of a sound crew?

Don't, some muppet guitar player standing in for the real sound engineer having his tea will burst your eardrums.
shufflebeat
Jedi Poster
"Dancing Queen - feel the heat from the tangerine, ooh yeah!"

Do yourself a favour, wear earplugs at gigs.

Postby Emma Music » Tue Feb 25, 2020 2:09 am

shufflebeat wrote:
Emma Music wrote:Another question:

Don't, some muppet guitar player standing in for the real sound engineer having his tea will burst your eardrums.

Is it difficult to setup properly?
Emma Music
Poster

Postby n o i s e f l e ur » Tue Feb 25, 2020 3:15 am

Not particularly - but once you've been around enough muppet guitar players* you'll understand! :D

Take every bit of advice related to protecting your hearing very very seriously.

* Approximately . . . all of us.
n o i s e f l e ur
Regular

Postby Emma Music » Tue Feb 25, 2020 3:40 am

n o i s e f l e ur wrote:Not particularly - but once you've been around enough muppet guitar players* you'll understand! :D

Take every bit of advice related to protecting your hearing very very seriously.

* Approximately . . . all of us.

Got it. I’ll take care!
Thanks for your advice.

Still, do you know what kind of cable I would need for the sound guys/muppet guitar players?
Emma Music
Poster

Postby n o i s e f l e ur » Tue Feb 25, 2020 4:20 am

Last festival I played it didn't matter as they were real engineers and were equipped to handle anything - they just whipped out a couple of DI boxes and that was that. I wasn't using IEMs though, but if I was I'd have set all that up at my end and they would have had no way to affect that signal.

For the muppet guitar players? Standard power cable, just make sure you secure the knots really well when you're tying them up.
n o i s e f l e ur
Regular

Postby Emma Music » Tue Feb 25, 2020 4:46 am

n o i s e f l e ur wrote:Last festival I played it didn't matter as they were real engineers and were equipped to handle anything - they just whipped out a couple of DI boxes and that was that. I wasn't using IEMs though, but if I was I'd have set all that up at my end and they would have had no way to affect that signal.

For the muppet guitar players? Standard power cable, just make sure you secure the knots really well when you're tying them up.

:lol:
But seriously, the cable that I would bring for them to plug the Behringer P2s into their mixer or whatever they would plug the IEMs into, would I need ‘trs to trs’, ‘ts to ts’, or XLR to something? (The Behringer systems are wired and have a combo jack. I’m confused if the cable type changes whether or not I get a stereo signal which I desire)
Emma Music
Poster

Postby MarkPAman » Tue Feb 25, 2020 1:12 pm

If you're happy with mono, then I'd be happy to run a balanced signal to you with an XLR on the end. I'd be very surprised if any PA provider couldn't find a mic lead to use for this, though a spare mice lead in your own kit is alway a useful thing anyway.

At smaller events, you may get a mixing desk with monitors only available on TRS, so keeping a TRS > XLR(m) adaptor in your kit may be useful.

If you say that you need 2 balanced XLRs, for IEM belt packs on you spec sheet, and advance it to the PA provider they may even be there ready for you!

Some of us really do read them! :o
MarkPAman
Frequent Poster

Postby n o i s e f l e ur » Tue Feb 25, 2020 1:41 pm

Yeah, the festival people would usually be in contact long before the event to sort out the rider.

That, and you get a line-check. I'd be stunned if the crew had time or inclination to faff about with monitor mixes to IEMs, personal monitoring setups etc. Turnaround between artists is remarkably tight these days.

Speaking from experience only, YMMV.

[edit] I see Mark has not only answered your questions better than I (and from a more qualified perspective) but that he's one of the Good Ones! :)
n o i s e f l e ur
Regular

PreviousNext