You are here

Wired in ear monitor setup question

For performing musicians and engineers: stagecraft, engineering and gear.

Re: Wired in ear monitor setup question

Postby Sam Spoons » Tue Feb 25, 2020 2:24 pm

Emma Music wrote:
n o i s e f l e ur wrote:Not particularly - but once you've been around enough muppet guitar players* you'll understand! :D

Take every bit of advice related to protecting your hearing very very seriously.

* Approximately . . . all of us.

Got it. I’ll take care!

It really isn't as simple as you taking care, to be safe you really need an IEM rig with a built in limiter unless you are completely self contained and even then it's easy to make a mistake and a loud squeal of feedback through your IEMs will spoil your gig* and may ruin your hearing.

* the resulting ringing in the ears may be temporary but has also been know to be permanent.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby n o i s e f l e ur » Tue Feb 25, 2020 2:33 pm

^ This.
n o i s e f l e ur
Regular

Postby Music Wolf » Tue Feb 25, 2020 4:35 pm

I carry a P1 as an emergency backup (this is using my desk, where I'm in control, and I have a limiter across the IEM feed). Normally I use an LD Systems (HPA1) pack which has built in limiting. The other singer / guitarist has the same.
Music Wolf
Frequent Poster

Postby Emma Music » Tue Feb 25, 2020 11:54 pm

MarkPAman wrote:If you're happy with mono, then I'd be happy to run a balanced signal to you with an XLR on the end. I'd be very surprised if any PA provider couldn't find a mic lead to use for this, though a spare mice lead in your own kit is alway a useful thing anyway.

At smaller events, you may get a mixing desk with monitors only available on TRS, so keeping a TRS > XLR(m) adaptor in your kit may be useful.

If you say that you need 2 balanced XLRs, for IEM belt packs on you spec sheet, and advance it to the PA provider they may even be there ready for you!

Some of us really do read them! :o

That’s really helpful information! Thank you so much Mark!
Emma Music
Poster

Postby Emma Music » Wed Feb 26, 2020 12:07 am

Sam Spoons wrote:
Emma Music wrote:
n o i s e f l e ur wrote:Not particularly - but once you've been around enough muppet guitar players* you'll understand! :D

Take every bit of advice related to protecting your hearing very very seriously.

* Approximately . . . all of us.

Got it. I’ll take care!

It really isn't as simple as you taking care, to be safe you really need an IEM rig with a built in limiter unless you are completely self contained and even then it's easy to make a mistake and a loud squeal of feedback through your IEMs will spoil your gig* and may ruin your hearing.

* the resulting ringing in the ears may be temporary but has also been know to be permanent.

That’s very true Sam. As I’m new to IEMs, there are so many things I need to be aware of and consider! Thanks for your information.
Emma Music
Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Wed Feb 26, 2020 1:24 am

You're welcome. I have tinnitus and, while I don't find it debilitating, yet, it has got worse more quickly as I have got older.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Emma Music » Wed Feb 26, 2020 1:52 am

Sam Spoons wrote:You're welcome. I have tinnitus and, while I don't find it debilitating, yet, it has got worse more quickly as I have got older.

I’m sorry to hear that.
I’m 22 and have only been gigging for 1 year, so I really appreciate the wisdom from people who have more experience.
Emma Music
Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Wed Feb 26, 2020 1:55 am

Well I'm 67 on Sunday and I've been gigging since I was 15...... It's been great and I still love it so keep going and keep learning :thumbup:
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Postby Emma Music » Wed Feb 26, 2020 2:00 am

Sam Spoons wrote:Well I'm 67 on Sunday and I've been gigging since I was 15...... It's been great and I still love it so keep going and keep learning :thumbup:

Thanks Sam, will do, and thanks for the encouragement!
You’re a legend!
Emma Music
Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:45 am

I nearly was once, I was in a band caller "Leg-Ends" :blush:
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Postby Emma Music » Wed Feb 26, 2020 11:03 am

Sam Spoons wrote:I nearly was once, I was in a band caller "Leg-Ends" :blush:

:lol:
Emma Music
Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Wed Feb 26, 2020 6:22 pm

Just a thought Emma, I have some of these in the inventory, maybe one would work for you instead of IEMs?

https://www.dv247.com/en_GB/GBP/TC-Helicon-Voice-Solo-FX150-Personal-PA-Vocal-Processor/art-PAH0015359-000?campaign=keyword/GB&ProgramUUID=UF_AqJartfQAAAFlJkByjI.G&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIp9ytrt3v5wIVWODtCh1ipgqqEAAYAiAAEgKzWvD_BwE

There are other similar and even cheaper personal monitors but The TC boxes sound very good and have great fx.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Postby Dave Rowles » Thu Feb 27, 2020 12:07 am

Good for those gigs inside with power, but if you're on the street, you may not have access to the right plug sockets!
Dave Rowles
Frequent Poster
http://www.manninmusic.com Bandcamp
Sound Engineer, Music Teacher, Isle of Man

Postby Emma Music » Thu Feb 27, 2020 12:30 am

Sam Spoons wrote:Just a thought Emma, I have some of these in the inventory, maybe one would work for you instead of IEMs?

https://www.dv247.com/en_GB/GBP/TC-Helicon-Voice-Solo-FX150-Personal-PA-Vocal-Processor/art-PAH0015359-000?campaign=keyword/GB&ProgramUUID=UF_AqJartfQAAAFlJkByjI.G&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIp9ytrt3v5wIVWODtCh1ipgqqEAAYAiAAEgKzWvD_BwE

There are other similar and even cheaper personal monitors but The TC boxes sound very good and have great fx.

Thanks for your suggestion Sam.
I’m really drawn to the idea of IEMs though - because I’ve had so many bad experiences with floor monitor wedges.
(I’m sure the ones you suggested are great, but I’m really keen to try the IEMs)
Plus... I’ve already ordered the Behringer P2s online! :lol:
Emma Music
Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Thu Feb 27, 2020 11:56 am

:thumbup:
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Previous