You are here

Wifi Hell Live

For performing musicians and engineers: stagecraft, engineering and gear.

Wifi Hell Live

Postby Dave B » Sat Feb 22, 2020 10:37 am

Well last nights sound gig was fun, but pure hell. I used my Berry XR18 in a small pub just running as a standard wifi access point and it definitely struggled. Mind you, I'm not surprised - I counted over a dozen other wifi networks running at the same time, so a puny little cheap mixer kinda didn't stand a chance...

Usually, I run an Apple Airport express thingy and get my QSC (which is in for repairs atm) to join that as it is much happier being just a node rather than a whole host, but I've not got that to work happily on the XR18 recently. I will have to investigate further in case I have any surprise gigs.

Anyway, I'm giving in and splurging on a rack mounter router :

https://www.thomann.de/gb/swissonic_pro ... uter_2.htm

because, frankly, I deserve one! Hopefully that should have slightly more juice to cut through the wifi fog in future and also will give me 2.4 and 5Ghz wifi. Hell, if my phone had been able to get even a half decent data signal last night (it struggled to get 3g), I'd have ordered it during the gig...

:)
Dave B
Jedi Poster
Veni, Vidi, Aesculi (I came, I saw, I conkered)

Re: Wifi Hell Live

Postby Sam Spoons » Sat Feb 22, 2020 10:56 am

It didn't get a terribly good review from the guy who looked inside the case :thumbdown:
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Wonks » Sat Feb 22, 2020 11:07 am

Sam Spoons wrote:It didn't get a terribly good review from the guy who looked inside the case :thumbdown:

But it's a 'Professional' router. It says so on the front! ;)
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby n o i s e f l e ur » Sat Feb 22, 2020 11:11 am

Yeah, looks like a lot of money for a bog-standard router. Paying for the form-factor?

Did you note down what band these dozen or more networks were running over? What band were you trying to run on?

If it were me I'd be looking at a device by an actual network-gear manufacturer as opposed to something nobody's ever heard of.
n o i s e f l e ur
Regular

Postby The Elf » Sat Feb 22, 2020 11:26 am

As you know, I also run an XR18, but it is wired for me every time in a live situation.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Music Wolf » Sat Feb 22, 2020 11:48 am

The Elf wrote:As you know, I also run an XR18, but it is wired for me every time in a live situation.

ditto
Music Wolf
Frequent Poster

Postby Bob Bickerton » Sat Feb 22, 2020 12:07 pm

I had the Midas version fall over in a concert. Sold it and ever since then have always used something that was hard-wired. Still nice to use a tablet to wander around the room for set up and to access extras, but in terms of running a critical gig - you can’t beat copper.......

Bob
Bob Bickerton
Jedi Poster
http://www.bickerton.co.nz

Postby Dave B » Sat Feb 22, 2020 12:32 pm

I almost did that last night- I only live a 10 min drive from the venue so I could have got a laptop during the break. But I soldiered on.

TBH, the XR18 is only a 'spare' for the main mixer. And it's driving me a bit mad as it's access point only seems happy when your ipad is in the same room, a couple of feet from it and with little else running.. Still, for the money it's fine and I know that with an external router it should work ok.

As to the Swissonic... what I like is that it has a proper IEC power lead, has some incoming cat5 ports and runs both bands. It ticks all my boxes. As long as it does what it says on the tin, I'll happily pay the money unless someone can recommend something similar, better and cheaper??

:)
Dave B
Jedi Poster

Postby Dave B » Sat Feb 22, 2020 12:34 pm

Alternate plan (which I will probably go for as a backup) : get a lightning to cat5 adapter and a decent length of cable. If the wifi really does screw up, I have a cable to the ipad. Will investigate further....
Dave B
Jedi Poster

Postby Wonks » Sat Feb 22, 2020 12:37 pm

Has no one out there investigated modding the XR18 so the wi-fi works?
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby The Elf » Sat Feb 22, 2020 1:54 pm

Wonks wrote:Has no one out there investigated modding the XR18 so the wi-fi works?
The 'official' mod is 'add a router'.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby James Perrett » Sat Feb 22, 2020 2:55 pm

Dave B wrote:As to the Swissonic... what I like is that it has a proper IEC power lead, has some incoming cat5 ports and runs both bands. It ticks all my boxes. As long as it does what it says on the tin, I'll happily pay the money unless someone can recommend something similar, better and cheaper??

I'd always look at Ubiquiti for reliable Wifi. We used to use their Bullet access points at sea - screw in an antenna on one end and plug the other into a Cat5e/6 cable with power on it and tape it up to a suitable vantage point. They're not 19" form factor but they're small and possibly more versatile.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby Sam Spoons » Sat Feb 22, 2020 4:14 pm

I have the XR12, the annoyance is that it can't run wifi and wired at the same time without an external router. If, like the Mackie DL1608 it could connect to an iPad via USB they would be a decent get out of jail card. It's a shame as everything else about it is great.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby AlecSp » Sat Feb 22, 2020 10:31 pm

Dave B wrote:Well last nights sound gig was fun, but pure hell. I used my Berry XR18 in a small pub just running as a standard wifi access point and it definitely struggled.
It's such a shame that Behringer/Midas aren't clearer in their product detais that you should expect to use an external AP/router for any real event. They acknowledge in a few support areas that the internal AP is only suitable for setup/home use.

Pretty much everyone that tries gets burnt, so the simple answer is to use an external AP/router, and that you may need a modicum of networking expertise to get it set up and working properly. Easy peasy for many - but rather more tricky for quite a few.

The complexity and compromises of producing an AP that will meet global certification requirements, along with the fact that's it part of a cheap piece of technology with limited budget, means that the AP in a device like the XR series will always be a modest, lowest common denominator object. But great that it's such an easy fix, by using an external network interface.

Just stop and remember what you're getting for your GBP 350 in an XR18, look at what a quality router costs, and realise that you're asking a lot to get a quality router in that product for that price. Also, that what might be "good enough" for many, still wouldn't be for others, who'd still need to use an external solution. Yes, I'd love it if I could use by XR18 out of the box with no external router, but I'm realistic.

And you really don't need anything special for a modest sized event - I've used an old router from my previous ISP for years with no significant problems. Yes, I'll get the odd lost connection if I stray too far, or put too much metal between me and the router, but that's operational and nothing that isn't fixed by a quick reconnect in Mixing Station in seconds.

Where the pro routers help more is in more marginal setups - but bear in mind they're not for the novice, when it comes to setting them up! *Waaaay* more technical than the typical domestic router.

And, of course, if your gig really matters, ensure that you have a wired connection to a device.

Sam Spoons wrote:I have the XR12, the annoyance is that it can't run wifi and wired at the same time without an external router.
Given that you'd be daft to run the XR mixers without an external router, you effectively always can.
AlecSp
Regular

Postby Sam Spoons » Sun Feb 23, 2020 11:35 am

I think your first point is the important one :headbang:
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Next