You are here

Keyboards, and Open Mic nights?

For performing musicians and engineers: stagecraft, engineering and gear.

Re: Keyboards, and Open Mic nights?

Postby BJG145 » Wed Feb 26, 2020 5:58 pm

I literally live for open-mics. My usual modus operandi is to take something unusual and hope the audience is so distracted they don't notice I can't really play it. Works surprisingly often.

I'm quite well provided for in Norwich; eg this week (don't go to everything):

Monday - Fat Cat and Canary - "jazz jam", but open-minded.

Tuesday - The Reindeer - varied session run by a gypsy-jazz guitarist. (You'd get along Sam.)

(Got lucky at The Reindeer last week; had a go at A Message To You Rudy, and a French trombonist called Xavier turned up.)

Wednesday - Walnut Tree Shades - Blues jam. I thought I might have a go at Neil Young's Motorcycle Mama later. (Always thought it was "lay your big bike down"; only just realised it's "lay your big spike down" - another song about heroin addiction. At least that's one problem I never had.)

Thursday - Cactus Cafe, the "Cactus jam". Everything's completely improvised, including the vocals. Usually just take gadgets along but I want to have a go at making some rubbish up...

Friday - Expect something will turn up.

So yes - re: Elf's plan for a SOS open-mic, you can put me down for that. And if you're ever stuck in Norwich, hit me up...;)
BJG145
Jedi Poster

Postby The Elf » Wed Feb 26, 2020 6:19 pm

BJG145 wrote:And if you're ever stuck in Norwich, hit me up...;)
Did a gig not far from you late last year. Wish I'd had time to look around the area!
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby blinddrew » Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:43 pm

That post is a proper trip down memory lane for me BJG145, the Cactus is new but the rest were regular haunts of mine. :)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Arpangel » Wed Feb 26, 2020 11:23 pm

It’s easy if you’re a guitar player, to do open mic nights, but if you’re a keyboard player it’s not so straightforward, especially if you’re a pianist, like me, tucking a Roland or a Yamaha under your arm isn’t so easy as packing an acoustic guitar, assuming you’re turning up "on spec"
Arpangel
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Sam Spoons » Wed Feb 26, 2020 11:58 pm

Absolutely, especially with my Emerald X7. The maker goes to the trouble of publishing the weight off the gig bag, presumably 'cos it's heavier than the guitar!*

* The X7 weighs 1.4kg the bag 1.5kg (but my Rob Aylward, Selmer style 'petit bouche' weighs 1.3 kg and that's a big guitar.....).
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby BJG145 » Thu Feb 27, 2020 12:50 am

Addendum
Well I showed up...didn' t get called. Swine. Norwich? Give it a miss. :protest: #NarcissusComplex ;)
BJG145
Jedi Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Thu Feb 27, 2020 6:16 pm

If anyone does plan on turning up with a keyboard and expects to plug it into the house PA, I would strongly recommend you take your own transformer-equipped DI box and make sure you use it!

I use (passive) Radial D2s, but there are lots of alternatives.

The critical point is that you don't want phantom power accidentally left switchefd on, or a mains fault in the house PA, reaching your expensive and much-loved keyboard under any circumstances....
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Previous