You are here

ART Splitmix - balanced operation?

For performing musicians and engineers: stagecraft, engineering and gear.

ART Splitmix - balanced operation?

Postby shufflebeat » Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:44 pm

I'm looking for a distribution solution (mono/balanced line level - x4 outs), as simple and robust as possible. The Splitmix described here:

https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/art-splitmix4

...I thought would be perfect if it was balanced in/out rather than stereo, and then I thought - if both sides are kept separate (which they would be for stereo operation) then why not just use it as a mono/bal unit?

Anything I'm missing?
shufflebeat
Jedi Poster
"Dancing Queen - feel the heat from the tangerine, ooh yeah!"

Do yourself a favour, wear earplugs at gigs.

Re: ART Splitmix - balanced operation?

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:51 pm

For balanced line-level one-into-four distribution all you really need is five TRS sockets wired in parallel. The splitmix isn't quite that, though, because of all the volume pots.

You won't cause any damage using it with balanced lines, so it would be worth a try with the ART Splitmix, and it might actually be fine for your application. Its just not ideal because of those volume controls which introduce ground referencing (and potential ground loop noises), reduce the load impedance which will increase the signal loss, and potentially degrade the CMRR as well (and so reduce the ability to reject interference).

It would be best to keep the volume controls at maximum to avoid unbalancing the balanced line and potentially degrading its ability to reject interference.
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Re: ART Splitmix - balanced operation?

Postby shufflebeat » Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:54 pm

Cheers, Hugh, received and understood.

I've been asked to sort a problem with a zone mixer but the environment is dusty (hence the issue) and the staff are... special, hence the "simple and robust" (much like the staff really).

I'm tempted to give it a try for the helluvit as it's the kind of thing I would like to have in the box anyway if it doesn't work for this application.
shufflebeat
Jedi Poster
"Dancing Queen - feel the heat from the tangerine, ooh yeah!"

Do yourself a favour, wear earplugs at gigs.