You are here

DMX question for any lighting guys out there

For performing musicians and engineers: stagecraft, engineering and gear.

DMX question for any lighting guys out there

Postby MarkOne » Fri Mar 06, 2020 11:48 am

So we have a modest DMX controlled setup in our church, a bunch of Parcans a couple of fresnels and 4x4 channel dimmer racks, all controlled by a simple 12 slider console.

We'd like to start migrating to some led fixtures and look at moving to an app or computer based controller with a USB-DMX or network-DMX interface. But as the building is often used by other community groups, we'd like to retain the existing desk for simple operation.

So to my question - is there a DMX switch or merger box that could manage signals from either the existing desk or a USB or network DMX dongle?

Thanks
MarkOne
Frequent Poster
Debut Album 'Fantasy Bridge' available now!

Re: DMX question for any lighting guys out there

Postby Random Guitarist » Fri Mar 06, 2020 5:55 pm

https://www.dv247.com/en_GB/GBP/Eurolit ... WfEALw_wcB

Would do it. If you set it to "highest takes priority" the brightest value from either contoller is used.
Random Guitarist
Frequent Poster
I've never liked a solo violin, you need at least five for a proper fire.

Postby Stratman57 » Fri Mar 06, 2020 6:06 pm

Depending on what type, and how many LED fixtures you get, you'll probably find your 12 channel desk will not have enough channels to control the fixtures.

Regards, Simon.
Stratman57
Regular

Postby MOF » Fri Mar 06, 2020 7:08 pm

I’m researching dmx lighting at the moment and so far I’m on the verge of buying the Enttec DMXIS usb interface with accompanying software.
This allows 512 channels of dmx control and facilitates crossfades between scenes and synchronisation with audio tracks.
The alternative was the Chauvet Obey 70 console with midi sync’ but it doesn’t allow crossfades between scenes.
Whatever you buy can be plugged into the dmx light system and replace your existing console then swapped over again when you’ve finished or replace your console permanently.

https://www.dv247.com/en_GB/GBP/Enttec- ... 00taYf_w41

https://www.dv247.com/en_GB/GBP/Chauvet ... 00taYf_w41
MOF
Frequent Poster

Postby OTE2020 » Mon Mar 09, 2020 2:48 pm

Have you looked at the ADJ box ? You can buy more outputs as you need as well as channels. Very simple BUT power little box ( https://www.adj.com/mydmx-go )
OTE2020
Poster

Postby MOF » Wed Apr 22, 2020 11:52 pm

Just wondering how you got on? I bought the Enttec box and now need to spend some time learning about DMX and their software in particular.
MOF
Frequent Poster

Postby robare99 » Tue Jun 09, 2020 10:10 pm

MOF wrote:I’m researching dmx lighting at the moment and so far I’m on the verge of buying the Enttec DMXIS usb interface with accompanying software.
This allows 512 channels of dmx control and facilitates crossfades between scenes and synchronisation with audio tracks.
The alternative was the Chauvet Obey 70 console with midi sync’ but it doesn’t allow crossfades between scenes.
Whatever you buy can be plugged into the dmx light system and replace your existing console then swapped over again when you’ve finished or replace your console permanently.

https://www.dv247.com/en_GB/GBP/Enttec- ... 00taYf_w41

https://www.dv247.com/en_GB/GBP/Chauvet ... 00taYf_w41

I started with the Obey70. Got frustrated, went with DMXIS and haven’t looked back. It’s a good setup.
robare99
Regular

Postby MOF » Tue Jun 09, 2020 10:46 pm

I bought the DMXIS too, still learning but enjoying the results.
MOF
Frequent Poster

Postby harddrive » Mon Jun 15, 2020 1:18 am

MOF wrote:Enttec DMXIS ...

It's excellent.

I'm in an 80s synthpop tribute band and run Bandlab Sonar. My tracks are multiple recorded audio instruments mixed and mastered for live sound, plus some BVs. I have MIDI tracks assigned to effects and synthe for patch changes and switching, but I also have two MIDI tracks assigned to the DMXIS plug in, where I have programmed and stored 'scenes' which drives my DMX lighting rig. Verse/Chorus/Midle 8 stuff - I have about a hundred scenes of various speeds and tempoes and combinations amongst my static washes and moving heads and lasers (and haze machine). The outcome is bloody spectacular. Rather than have a lighting engineer, the DAW does it for me. It's time consuming and fortunately during lockdown I have everything rigged up in my garage, but live it is excellent stuff.

Recommend DMXIS to anyone. Good YT tutorials too.

harddrive
harddrive
New here

Postby MOF » Tue Jun 16, 2020 12:46 am

Enttec DMXIS ...

It's excellent.

I'm in an 80s synthpop tribute band and run Bandlab Sonar. My tracks are multiple recorded audio instruments mixed and mastered for live sound, plus some BVs. I have MIDI tracks assigned to effects and synthe for patch changes and switching, but I also have two MIDI tracks assigned to the DMXIS plug in, where I have programmed and stored 'scenes' which drives my DMX lighting rig. Verse/Chorus/Midle 8 stuff - I have about a hundred scenes of various speeds and tempoes and combinations amongst my static washes and moving heads and lasers (and haze machine). The outcome is bloody spectacular. Rather than have a lighting engineer, the DAW does it for me. It's time consuming and fortunately during lockdown I have everything rigged up in my garage, but live it is excellent stuff.

Recommend DMXIS to anyone. Good YT tutorials too.

You're well ahead of me I've got two 70 watt RGBW par cans and two 10 watt RGBW spot lamps and might get some motorised/gobo 10 watt lamps, they're fairly noisy with the cooling fans but I'm eventually going to be miming to a backing track in front of a green screen so noise isn't an issue.
The basic DMXIS software is a bit arcane compared to the Buddy software, you'd think it would be a level fader per lamp (fixture) and a plugin colour wheel to set its hue and then other plugins to control motors, chases etc. Fun though once I'd got my head around each lamp's start and end points e.g. 1-8, 9-16 etc.
MOF
Frequent Poster

Postby cyrano.mac » Tue Jun 16, 2020 1:29 am

If you need software, have a look at QLC+

https://www.qlcplus.org/

They have an extensive library of DMX devices, which will save you a lot of time. Available for Windows, Macos, Linux and even the Raspberry Pi.
cyrano.mac
Regular

Postby harddrive » Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:25 am

MOF wrote:You're well ahead of me I've got two 70 watt RGBW par cans and two 10 watt RGBW spot lamps and might get some motorised/gobo 10 watt lamps, they're fairly noisy with the cooling fans but I'm eventually going to be miming to a backing track in front of a green screen so noise isn't an issue.
The basic DMXIS software is a bit arcane compared to the Buddy software, you'd think it would be a level fader per lamp (fixture) and a plugin colour wheel to set its hue and then other plugins to control motors, chases etc. Fun though once I'd got my head around each lamp's start and end points e.g. 1-8, 9-16 etc.

Yeah - the reason I have it however is that my band's tracks are stacked in Sonar as setlists. Each track is effectively a MIDI/Audio file. The audio tracks as said have been mixed down and mastered for live using our PA in the rehearsal studio with the bits my colleague and I will be playing on our synths muted. Other MIDI tracks control patch changes and controllers but a further two are assigned to the DMXIS soft synth plug in (Bank - Ch 15 and Preset/Scene - Ch 16) whereby each note will trigger a preprogrammed scene. There range from static washes to sweeps, colours, mixes and also DMXIS has this excellent 'Oscillator' function whereby your scene - if it has moving heads for example - can contain movements over a wide range of speeds and ranges, and colour changes. If you say it is limited, you are probably not using all of its capability. I have pretty much 'budget' lighting (4 x cheap moving heads, spider, Equinox GigaBar, KAM Lasers and a Chauvet Hurricane 1DX Hazer) and each song we do has tailored lighting for it - 'Only You' by Yazoo is moody washes, 'New Song' by Howard Jones is punchy blitzes and fast-moving sweeps and flashes. And when Frankie Goes to Hollywood's 'Relax' mentions 'laser beams' in the lyric, we are douse in haze with those beams cutting through it.

It's not been easy getting on top of this, but our musical contemporaries in the North -Electro 80s - set the tone for lighting for us, so we got with it and I learned first of all how to work a rare-as-fuck NDJ 16 MIDI to DMX interface and now DMXIS.

harddrive
harddrive
New here