You are here

Help for a beginner. Can I link Alto speakers together to get louder sound ?

For performing musicians and engineers: stagecraft, engineering and gear.

Help for a beginner. Can I link Alto speakers together to get louder sound ?

Postby badwolf » Fri Mar 06, 2020 12:20 pm

Hi All
Please bare with me as Im new to this and not an audio expert in any way.
I have 2 audio technica turntables at home ( LP-120 model ) I connect those into my Numark 3 channel mixer ( M4 model ) and my speakers are connected to 2 Alto TX208 speakers. These speakers have 300 watts stickers but I have since found out that is peak performance.

I am a bedroom mixer of house music. I spend hours just mixing tracks together for personal enjoyment. Its more than loud enough for my house and bedroom mixing.

Ive been asked to do a couple of favors for friends , and do some music for a small village hall party. My speakers sound pretty loud to me , but am worried that if I try and take these into a hall Im going to look a bit silly. Guess my first thought is do I need an amp ? Will an amp make the volume or ability to fill the space with volume any better ?
My turntables have a pre amp built in ( not entirely sure what that means )

My other thought is to buy a 3rd speaker of slightly larger volume and wattage , maybe a Alto TX215 type speaker which will be much louder.
Then maybe daisy chain this into my existing 2 speaker set up to get a boost and increase the volume and output of what Im playing. ?
Would this work ? or am I greatly misguided.

Like I said Im new to this , dont know much about audio and correct set up.
Im not planning to make a living outta this either , just doing a couple of small gigs for friends and then Im out , so dont want to spend a lot of money either. Happy to be a bedroom mixer .

Any thoughts or advice on either amp making things louder or adding a third speaker to increase .

Many thanks in advance from a Noob
badwolf

Re: Help for a beginner. Can I link Alto speakers together to get louder sound ?

Postby Wonks » Fri Mar 06, 2020 12:57 pm

It's not a good idea to mix active tops, as you can get weird sounding 'comb filtering' at different places in the space.

If you get one TS215 (a TS315 would be a better speaker), then that will be so much louder than the existing speakers that you might as well not use them. What would be better would be to get an Alto sub (or two) so that the sub handles the low frequencies, leaving the TS208s to provide the mids and tops (and they will be louder as a result, as the amp isn't wasting power on low frequencies). Say an Alto TS312S or an Alto TS315S, or if you can find them used, the less powerful Alto TS212S or TS215S.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Re: Help for a beginner. Can I link Alto speakers together to get louder sound ?

Postby Dave Rowles » Fri Mar 06, 2020 3:06 pm

Totally agree with Wonks here. You would be better off getting one of the subs he suggested. With just recorded music that you're playing as a DJ the speakers you've got will be able to go quite loud, so the sub will fill the sound out more.

If you get one (or 2) of the TS315S, then later you could upgrade the system by getting the TS310 which would give you more than enough power to fill most village halls for DJ purposes. I've got a couple of the TS310s for our rehearsal venue, and they fill a 13m*16m room with loads of power to spare.
Dave Rowles
Frequent Poster
http://www.manninmusic.com Bandcamp
Sound Engineer, Music Teacher, Isle of Man

Postby badwolf » Fri Mar 06, 2020 3:16 pm

Great advice guys , many thanks !
So I will look to try and get a sub then.
Due to funding ... I will start with one sub and have the 2 TX208s either side of it .

There is no amp required or needed in this set up right ? I can go straight from my mixer to the sub , then I go left and right to the TX208s ?

If I get a TS312S will that play nice with the TX speakers ? or do i need to match TS to TS and TX to TX ?

I looked at a review on line for the TS312S and it has selection criteria on the back to add the tops TS308 TS310 etc . Does that work with the TX model do you know ?

Thanks so much for the help , I felt like a dummy but already I am learning something '
badwolf

Postby The Red Bladder » Fri Mar 06, 2020 4:16 pm

Firstly Alto is a budget brand, as in 'Very budget!' When it comes to speakers, you really do get what you pay for (though sometimes it's just an empty box and loads of marketing hype - especially with hi-fi speakers!)

Secondly, you have to multiply power by ten to double the volume. i.e. you need another nine pairs of those budget speakers to be twice as loud.

Studio? A used pair of Genelecs. Gigging? D&B. Lovely speakers!
The Red Bladder
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby AlecSp » Fri Mar 06, 2020 5:46 pm

badwolf wrote:Im not planning to make a living outta this either , just doing a couple of small gigs for friends and then Im out , so dont want to spend a lot of money either. Happy to be a bedroom mixer.

The Red Bladder wrote:Gigging? D&B. Lovely speakers!
Indeed, but did you even look at the OP's message? It's all about cheap, which D&B aren't.

Back to the OP, others have made helpful suggestions. In the end, though, most DJs are likely to find small, underpowered gear unsatisfying, and will drive it so hard that it may end up failing.
AlecSp
Regular

Postby MarkOne » Fri Mar 06, 2020 5:50 pm

The Red Bladder wrote:Firstly Alto is a budget brand, as in 'Very budget!' When it comes to speakers, you really do get what you pay for (though sometimes it's just an empty box and loads of marketing hype - especially with hi-fi speakers!)

Secondly, you have to multiply power by ten to double the volume. i.e. you need another nine pairs of those budget speakers to be twice as loud.

Studio? A used pair of Genelecs. Gigging? D&B. Lovely speakers!

I don't usually post a response like this and sorry if it's a bit antagonistic or negative, but...

You know, I genuinely respect Mr Bladder as an industry insider with a wealth of knowledge about how the music and media world really works, but this is a sort of drive-by shooting with a mach-10.

You clearly didn't' really read the OPs post or take into account his situation (bedroom DJ with not much tech knowledge and some adequate and functional kit for his situation, reaching out for some help),

You diss his gear, drop some physics without a clear explanation (and dis his gear some more) and then suggest a solution that is usually reserved for high end pro shows and, most music shops won't be able to sell him anyway, and he most likely wouldn't be able to afford if they could.

And it was al pretty irrelevant given there had been some really helpful replies already

Class.

For a village hall gig... That he's doing as a favour.
MarkOne
Frequent Poster
Debut Album 'Fantasy Bridge' available now!

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Fri Mar 06, 2020 5:52 pm

badwolf wrote:Ive been asked to do a couple of favors for friends , and do some music for a small village hall party. My speakers sound pretty loud to me , but am worried that if I try and take these into a hall Im going to look a bit silly

It's worse than that... If you try and crank up under-powered speakers like yours to fill a large space you're very likely to end up with excessive distortion, blown drive units or amp damage, and smoke...

Rather than buy a sub, if I were you I ask your friends to come up with some dosh to hire an appropriate PA system for the day, and leave your Altos at home! It won't cost much -- definitely a lot less than mending your own gear -- and it will make a massive difference to how your gig sounds!

Any decent PA company will be able to advise on a suitable rig for the spaces you need to work in, and they'll also advise you with connecting your DJ gear (desks and mixer) and setting it all up correctly.

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Eddy Deegan » Fri Mar 06, 2020 10:51 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:
badwolf wrote:Ive been asked to do a couple of favors for friends , and do some music for a small village hall party. My speakers sound pretty loud to me , but am worried that if I try and take these into a hall Im going to look a bit silly

It's worse than that... If you try and crank up under-powered speakers like yours to fill a large space you're very likely to end up with excessive distortion, blown drive units or amp damage, and smoke...

Hugh is right.

In the 80s, I inherited a hi-fi system from my grandfather, who had painstakingly accumulated, through much research, a separates system which sounded very good for the time.

The speakers were early 80's vintage KEFs and sounded jolly good in my domestic environment. They also went 'very loud' by my standards.

Fast forward to when I joined my first band with 19 years of 'being alive' experience behind me.

I had purchased a 20-watt full-range Carlsbro brand mono combo amp/speaker for my Yamaha DX9 (I thought I was the bees knees!) but it quickly became apparent (d'uh) that the amp wasn't up to gig levels. So in my hubris I figured that stereo was good, and the KEF speakers which seemed so loud at home, would knock everyone for six.

I turned up to a gig with my Technics Hi-Fi amp and the KEF speakers.

That didn't work out well. The volumes required at a gig are far different to home use and I don't remember hearing anything out of those speakers in a live setting.

Fortunately, no damage was done (I'm quick on the uptake, if slow to anticipate some things) and from that point on I stuck with the 20 watt keyboard amp for a while, as it was the best I could afford at the time and it was pretty plucky as it happens.

Many, many years later I got a small JBL EON PA system for my backline... and it rocks. Seriously, it will cow a loud drummer into submission if I crank it up, and it goes to full volume (which is intolerably loud to me anywhere near it) without distortion. Stereo, full range, powered desk that clips to the back of one of the speakers and I can pick the whole thing up with 2 fingers.

I wish I'd had that back in the day!
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Some of my works.
Please consider supporting the SOS Forum Album project.