You are here

Midas M32 - Stereo Output

For performing musicians and engineers: stagecraft, engineering and gear.

Midas M32 - Stereo Output

Postby pitchwest » Sat Mar 07, 2020 2:26 am

Hey there all,
I'm running stereo in-ears out from my Midas M32 using 1/4 stereo. This is my first day trying this. Are the 1/4 outputs all stereo on the Midas? Also, how would I assign one as a stereo channel? I thought maybe I could assign two channels out to the one out but split into stereo. There's the earphone jack on the front I could use since that's definitely stereo but how would I assign that as a monitor separate from the main mix?

Thanks
pitchwest
New here

Re: Midas M32 - Stereo Output

Postby ore_terra » Sat Mar 07, 2020 9:26 am

I think they’re TRS balanced mono outs
ore_terra
Frequent Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Sat Mar 07, 2020 11:22 am

Yes, definitely line level balanced on TRS so you'll need to use two to drive stereo IEMs. You could use TS jacks if that's what the IEM transmitter accepts but all but the most budget IEM rigs will have balanced inputs.

It is almost certainly possible to assign a pair of buses to the control room/headphone outputs but I'm not at home so I can't look on my X32 to work out how. Will try to have a look later.

edit :- Just had a quick look on the app and it looks like it's in the Monitor section, you can assign aux pairs to the monitor outs, if it's possible to make the source for the relevant auxes a pair of buses that would work but I can't see how in the app. Will have a try later.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby The Elf » Sat Mar 07, 2020 1:29 pm

In summary, beware of thinking that a 'stereo' cable means a stereo signal. A connector with three wires can carry a stereo unbalanced signal, or a mono balanced signal.

Confusing the two can lead to trouble!
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Sam Spoons » Sat Mar 07, 2020 3:52 pm

As far as I can tell there is no way of sending a mix to the headphone outputs other than via the main L/R or solo route. The 5/6 and 7/8 aux input pairs can be the source for the monitors but to make that work you'd need to link the aux inputs to a pair of outputs using cables as there is no way* of routing them internally. So it looks like you are stuck with using a pair of buses and a wireless IEM rig or external headphone amp.

What exactly are you trying to do here? In a typical live rig the headphone output would be dedicated to checking the mix and soloing channels.

* The contributor on the X32 forum said this and I haven't found a way either.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby pitchwest » Sat Mar 07, 2020 8:02 pm

My accordion player want's his right hand in right ear and left in left. I ran down to the music store today and picked up an RCA to stereo 1/4". The 1/4" will connect to the in-ears and I'll try the RCA Aux outputs. I haven't used them or assigned them before but I assume it's the same as assigning any other.
pitchwest
New here

Postby Sam Spoons » Sat Mar 07, 2020 9:33 pm

It's not entirely simple to assign the auxes, and they are not designed to drive headphones directly* you will need a headphone amp or wireless IEM set. It's no problem to set up a stereo mix to a pair of buses using the SoF button but the auxes are not as configurable as a bus output.

Will check what can be done shortly and get back.

edit :- not found anything useful to add and will be unable to spend more time until Tuesday.

Hope you get it sorted.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Postby OTE2020 » Sun Mar 08, 2020 9:21 pm

The Elf wrote:In summary, beware of thinking that a 'stereo' cable means a stereo signal. A connector with three wires can carry a stereo unbalanced signal, or a mono balanced signal.

Confusing the two can lead to trouble!

:clap: Yep good advice and would have saved me a lot of headaches many years back while having A LOT of problems re patching a live band with wayyy to much backline & the most nuts patch ever. No one told us about the cables tho - lol ahhh the days of believe there was nothing to learn !!
OTE2020
Poster

Postby pitchwest » Mon Mar 09, 2020 8:48 pm

Got it sorted last night. Thanks all. So I used the RCA Aux out. They're divided into separate outputs already, Aux 5 and 6. I assigned them as a Mix Bus so that gives them a preamp and I can run straight into in-ears without a preamp or wireless rig. It was all very simple once I got to our rehearsal space and had my hands on the Midas. So i ended up assigning each out its own Bus. Makes it very simple and now I'm thinking of doing the same for my monitor.

Thanks for all the help.
pitchwest
New here

Postby Sam Spoons » Tue Mar 10, 2020 5:40 pm

Interested to know just how you did that? Plus, are you driving the headphones from the RCA or XLR outputs directly? I know it can be done but it's far from ideal.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster