You are here

Wireless IEM - Not Receiving Stereo

For performing musicians and engineers: stagecraft, engineering and gear.

Wireless IEM - Not Receiving Stereo

Postby paparey » Sat Mar 14, 2020 2:59 pm

I don't think this issue relates to my Behringer XR18, but most likely the IEM transmitters/receivers, but any help would be gratefully received!
I am running four wireless IEM systems (4xThomann's T.bone IEM200), running stereo outputs from Main LR outs and the three aux-out pairs of the XR18 to the xlr l and r inputs of the iem transmitters (all xlr). Each output is being fed it's own stereo mix with panning, from the main LR and Busses 1-6. When I plug headphones directly into the monitor output of the IEM transmitters (the rack units) I get the sound I expect, with a stereo panned mix. When I plug the headphones into any of the wireless body pack receivers, the panning isn't there. Panning left or right on the XR18 sends just seems to reduce the volume/signal level with it strongest in the "centre". This seems to be the case for all four bodypacks and yes, I have tried switching both the transmitters and receivers from mono to "stereo". Stumped.
paparey

Re: Wireless IEM - Not Receiving Stereo

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Sat Mar 14, 2020 5:55 pm

Are the in-ear phones actually wired for stereo?

It does sound like a configuration problem with the tx/rx units.
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby paparey » Sat Mar 14, 2020 7:03 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:Are the in-ear phones actually wired for stereo?

It does sound like a configuration problem with the tx/rx units.

What do u mean wired for stereo? The stereo output into the in ears, or any headphones for that matter, is fine when plugged directly into the transmitter, just not coming through as stereo from the receivers. All the units behave the same, in any combination with any number on, and all the transmitters and the receivers are set to stereo, not mono.
paparey

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Sat Mar 14, 2020 7:12 pm

I'vecome across some in-earsa that are wired for mono only -- left and right channels summed in the earphones themselves.

But if they sound in stereo when plugged into other sources it won't be that.

So... does the transmitter show the ST logo (rather than Mono) and the receiver the Stereo label in the display? I imagine it's going to be a setup issue with either the Transmitter or receiver.
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby paparey » Sat Mar 14, 2020 7:43 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:I'vecome across some in-earsa that are wired for mono only -- left and right channels summed in the earphones themselves.

But if they sound in stereo when plugged into other sources it won't be that.

So... does the transmitter show the ST logo (rather than Mono) and the receiver the Stereo label in the display? I imagine it's going to be a setup issue with either the Transmitter or receiver.
That's what I figured, but it doesnt seem to have enough settings to be a setup issue...everything is set to stereo. "ST" symobols all round. Just no stereo through the receivers! So frustrating.
paparey

Postby The Elf » Sun Mar 15, 2020 12:45 pm

I can tell you that I've used the XR18, in precisely the way you are, to our motley collection of in-ear transmitters and it all worked fine. Stereo was just as you'd want - I don't recall any trouble setting it up. All said, it *should* work, so check your settings piece by piece; isolate each output and see what it's sending and what it responds to. check ALL of the XR18's panning controls on channels, groups and outputs.

I've since switched to using Behringer's personal monitor mixers, which is much simpler to set up.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.